Trophy Hunting Pics

All things related to hunting.
AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

RE:Trophy Hunting Pics

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:....Squirrels aren't exactly elk. It's like comparing killing a yellow perch to a salmon...
You noticed how I never compared a squirrel to an elk. My point was simple. Killing rodents for the fun of it is plain wrong, but killing big game is acceptable because you are using the meat/skin/horns, etc. I too, respect all opinions and beliefs...might not agree with them, but certainly entertain their judicious implications. If you were killing the rodents to eat them, then go ahead do so...although I think it is against the law in many counties/cities - I'd have to check ordinances. Running about shooting small animals or rodents you don't intend to eat is worthless. If someone chooses to kill an elk and eat the animal, great...same with a squirrel (if it is legal to do so). It has nothing to do with a yellow perch or a salmon. Btw, that is awesome that you C&R most your fish! That's great. I agree, some fish are lost in the process of us having a good time, and that is to be expected. I just don't want a younger audience coming on here and seeing someone thinking it's fun to shoot rodents, because honestly, that's where the match hits the board.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Nice deer Colton. Sounds like you made a great shot.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:51 pm

thanks. i was so pumped when it all happened. im surprized my nerves actually let me get a good shot off.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:17 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Squirrels aren't exactly elk. It's like comparing killing a yellow perch to a salmon...
So size determines whether or not it's OK to kill & eat them? Hmm... reminds me of my daughter's philosophy toward food]
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:00 am

HillbillyGeek wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:Squirrels aren't exactly elk. It's like comparing killing a yellow perch to a salmon...
So size determines whether or not it's OK to kill & eat them? Hmm... reminds me of my daughter's philosophy toward food]

I would rather have the perch on my plate! Salmon is so over-rated IMO...and squirrels are VERY tasty, too.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:39 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:

No it's about the number of species moreso in my opinion. There's a lot more squirrels then elk....

I agree. Perch are good table fare...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:11 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:

Perch are amazing pan fried. Just amazing. They triumph salmon anyday, in my opinion at least. Ling cod is great too.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:35 pm

I'd like to hunt sometime. My only kill was with a BB gun from 75 feet on a bird. I broke some bones with the shot, but my cat got the kill after watching me on the back porch. Wish I got a video of him bringing it in his mouth to me like a dog.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:28 am

I live in the city limits of Seattle and I'm a urban hunter.Rats,squirrels,possum,and nutrias.Rats and Nutria are very very grotesque.I live right off Lk Wa and the rats are huge.
It usually starts when I fill the bird feeders and suet cages.The squirrels try emptying them all.I cap the squirrels.The rats come to eat the feed that fell.I cap them.Then come the hawks and eagles which I like.They eat the critters.
I use a 22 rifle with CB shorts.They are a very low powder filled 22.Barely makes any noise and its distance is limited.For every rat and squirrel that get capped off there are 6 more to replace them.The Nutrias in particular are really nasty.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:19 pm

racfish wrote:The Nutrias in particular are really nasty.
Racfish,

I know you live on the lake, so I guess you would be up on your water rodents and such,, but seriously do we really have Nutria in lake Wa? My wife's family is from Louisianna, and Nutria are HUGE right in the city parks in Lafayette. The size of a beaver who got bizzy with a rat, errh?? something like that.
Are you pretty sure that you are seeing Nutria and not some sort of possum?
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:25 pm

quadradomus wrote:
Racfish,

I know you live on the lake, so I guess you would be up on your water rodents and such,, but seriously do we really have Nutria in lake Wa? My wife's family is from Louisianna, and Nutria are HUGE right in the city parks in Lafayette. The size of a beaver who got bizzy with a rat, errh?? something like that.
believe me, there ARE nutria in washington! there is a absolutely huge one at lacamas lake that always bugs me, as for lake washington, the area right around UW were it gets kinda swampy looking should be great for nutria, o yea there is a small pond right next to vancouver mall that has its own population of nutria, i even saw an ALBINO nutria once.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Well somebody need to get busy and cap one of those Nutrias and post it up here. More pictures!! More pictures!! Hell go out and cap anything! :rendeer: Lets see some pics fellas.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 am

My dad capped me once with the BB gun. One pump and I had a welt for a week on my back. He thought it would be funny. After he saw the welt he changed his mind. We tried to take a picture of it but the camera broke it was so nasty.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:43 pm

I ve seen Nutrias in the Arboretum and along the lake where there are coves and small areas protected like Andrews Bay where I'm at.My parents are on the water I'm the next row up.I know they arent possums.They swim and dive like Muskrats only these suckers are the size of pet cats.Nutrias like rabbits only need sex one time to produce multiple litters.They dont scare off when you make noises trying to get them scared off.They are not native here but come on ships from foriegn soils from what I hear.Hopefully the ones I cap will bring more crayfish to the area when they sink.Hehehe.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:35 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:
quadradomus wrote:
Racfish,

believe me, there ARE nutria in washington! there is a absolutely huge one at lacamas lake that always bugs me, as for lake washington, the area right around UW were it gets kinda swampy looking should be great for nutria, o yea there is a small pond right next to vancouver mall that has its own population of nutria, i even saw an ALBINO nutria once.

check out this news article on these swamp rats in washington.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191870,00.html

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 pm

panfisher wrote:
check out this news article on these swamp rats in washington.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191870,00.html
"If you can get on these things early and get people to understand how important it is, the impact is really small," said Bill Brookreson, deputy director for the state Agriculture Department."

That's the key. You gotta get on these things early. If I see one out of LW I'm gunna take it home. My guinnea pig died last week and a nutria would be a good replacement (yeah right)...let's get rid of these implanted rodents.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:16 pm

fishnislife wrote:Well somebody need to get busy and cap one of those Nutrias and post it up here. More pictures!! More pictures!! Hell go out and cap anything! :rendeer: Lets see some pics fellas.

fishnislife

Allright fishnislife, you asked for it. I have a nice collection of bb/pellet guns from when I was younger. The only time we use them any more is when my buddys put a fresh co2 in the pistol take out the bbs, spit down the barrell and shoot some one, pretty gross and not safe by any means, but man is it funny. I ll bust out the daisy and get some nasty hip shots off and post up pictures of the bounty for ya :cheers:

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:37 pm

lskiles wrote: ...and squirrels are VERY tasty, too.
And Mike Huckabee would agree with you...he use to eat fried squirrel in college out of a popcorn popper. You've probably seen this, but maybe not:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yj3QAzSWVA4

(Huckabee eating fried squirrel - hey I guess it does happen more than I thought after all - I love the guy in the end who said he'd grill up an opossum on his Ford Bronco's hood.)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:03 pm

We have basically two kinds of squirrels in the Seattle area.There are the red ones and the grey ones.One is native to our parts and one was brought in quite recently (with in 30 years).I think the grey one is the indiginous one and the reddish one isnt.
One type of rat equals the Nutria and that is a Wharf Rat.They are huge and grotesque They are not affraid of humans.We used to see them alot along the waterfront.Those are big.Pellets and BB's wont down a nutria,unless you get a good eye shot.Even then I wonder.22 cal is the way to go for rats.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:00 pm

racfish wrote:We have basically two kinds of squirrels in the Seattle area.There are the red ones and the grey ones.One is native to our parts and one was brought in quite recently (with in 30 years).I think the grey one is the indiginous one and the reddish one isnt.
One type of rat equals the Nutria and that is a Wharf Rat.They are huge and grotesque They are not affraid of humans.We used to see them alot along the waterfront.Those are big.Pellets and BB's wont down a nutria,unless you get a good eye shot.Even then I wonder.22 cal is the way to go for rats.
Take out the nutria if you can! Squirrels are just squirrels and we have too many of them. We need more people like Mike Huckabee to eat fried squirrel! :cheers: