Salmon Landing Net

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
sellis_414
Commander

Salmon Landing Net

Post by sellis_414 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:47 pm

I need a net... Any recommendations on brands or models????

Thank for your help!
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

Matt
Admiral

RE:Salmon Landing Net

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:59 pm

It depends on what you want specifically and how much you are willing to spend. I am in the market for a new landing net as well and have been looking at Beckman nets, the pen fin saver and the big fish series mostly. They have treated knotless bags, and the fin saver is shaped like a basket with verticle walls and a flat bottom allowing fish to lay flat in the net and not get tangled. A good net for selective fisheries or areas with selective gear rules should be knotless, with small mesh, and the softer the mesh the better for the fish. Treated nets help keep hooks from becomming entangled in the netting but they cause the net to be heavier, as well as slightly harder on the fish. Another good net I have been considering is the frabill conservation series. Good luck in your hunt, one big problem is finding the perfect net locally. Also, good quality nets tend to run from 90-200$.

This is not to say you can't get a nice net for much less, but these are the models I have been looking at. If you don't release any fish a knotted net will work fine for you.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

RE:Salmon Landing Net

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:40 pm

love my frabill 'n the price didnt hurt too bad