Thoughts on boat covers

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Thoughts on boat covers

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:12 pm

As I look at Santa's Bass Pro Shop gift certificates, I am reminded that I should always think twice about buying more tackle.
This year I am considering getting a "Basic" boat cover.
If any of you have one of the over the counter boat covers sold via places like Bass Pro or Cabelas, please let me know what you have and what you think of it. I do realize that the best route to go is to have one custom made. The reason that I don't go that route is that I keep my boat in the garage, and do not really need a high end cover. The only reason that I even want a cover is that when making longer trips like East of the mountains, it allows for me to use the boat itself as a place to carry some of my general gear, (So long as it is fully covered while towing)
I see plenty of covers at Bass Pro that go for about $200.00. I mostly just require that the cover has straps that that use a buckle mechanism or something pretty stable in freeway wind. Should fit fairy snug, as to not be a flapping mess going down the road. A few of the names I am seeing are; Hurricane Boat Covers, Sun Armor Boat covers, Attwood Road Max 600, and Trailer light covers.
My boat is a 14' Lund WC-DLX 68" beam. (Deep V style, tiller, etc.) pretty basic.

Anybody have one of these brands?

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Thoughts on boat covers

Post by AJ's Dad » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:56 am

I had one of the Cabelas covers and it fit pretty well. I to garage my boats so I didn't think I need a real high quality cover. I only cover the boat when weather conditions get wet and or snowy and sloppy. The covers help keep some of the mud and crap out of the boat that comes off your tires. The cabelas cover fit well but over a short period of time the material began to tear after it had gotten wet. If I ever need to buy another cover, I'll go for a higher quality version. The boat I have now came with an aftermarket cover and it's pretty heavy duty. I just don't know what brand it is.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:39 am

The problem with the cheaper covers is they don't fit tightly enough to keep them from flapping in the wind when driving at freeway speeds. That flapping tears up the covers pretty fast even when new and it only gets worse as the material ages.

We bought one of the Cabelas generic covers for our new boat. It was one of the mid range ones with the heavier canvas but not the heaviest. I think we got the 600 denier fabric.

We knew this could happen from past experience with cheep covers, so we added extra straps to try to keep flapping to a minimum. Two trips from Tacoma area to Banks lake in one year and it was tearing in areas where we couldn't get it tight enough. Mostly right behind where it went over the windshield.

For about the same money we bought a Costco storage tent/garage thingy and keep the boat in there now when its parked and don't bother with the cover any more.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:44 am

Have a trailerable cover made. It's the best piece of equipment you can have with your boat. Nothing better than hauling over the mountains, through the storm , getting to your destination pulling off the cover and the boat is spotlessly clean. All your stuff traveling in the boat is clean and dry. Ready to go! Eastside Tent and Awning.

PS: mine is 8 years old and going strong. You can ask Gringo, I'm pretty sure they made one for him too. I'm having one made for my drifter next.
Last edited by Bodofish on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:44 am

I have had a lot of covers over the years. I don't garage my boat (I wish I could) so my cover is for weather as well as the trips to the east side. The trips to the east are the reason for a lot of covers. I have had covers destroyed on one trip over, and I have had them last a few years (maybe 3 or 4 trips a year). All have been over the counter covers from $80 to $200. I don't think you have a windshield on your boat, and that helps. My 15ft Alaskan had no windshield and the covers did ok. With a windshield (17ft Smoker-craft I had) there is a wear point, and none of the covers put the extra canvas for it in the right place for my boat. I put foam padding over the sharp edges and that would help.
Some things I have noted: Different ways they connect to the trailer.
Some go all the way under the boat and connect to the other side. That was a pain, but did seem to keep the cover closer to the boat.
Some have straps that stay on the cover and go down around the frame of the trailer then back to its self. I liked this when I was removing the cover it came off quickly. Unclip pull the strap up and move on to the next one. When getting in to the boat to check something without removing the cover completely it was not as good.
The most common seemed to be a strap with a loop on the end that goes around the frame thru the loop and up to snap on the cover. When you unclip your cover comes off and you have all the straps still on the frame. Works well when getting in to load or check something without removing the cover completely.
One cover came with out straps and I had to order as an add on. It was a good price at Sportco, and that was why I got it. Adding the straps, not so great a price.
I just this last month got a new boat and need to look at covers again. One cover I looked at online stated what I think is vary true, it is almost impossible it get a cover tight enough not to flap in the wind at 60MPH.
The Cover I settled on for this boat (20ft Hewes sea runner) is from Bass Pro (I think it was a hurricane). It ran about $180 and has straps that loop at the end like most I have had. It also has a strap over the top of the canvas that is made to tighten the cover. So you tighten it to the frame then tighten it across the top. I don't know if I will trailer this cover or not, but if I do I hope that will help.
I got a cover last spring from Sportsman's Warehouse for the 17ft boat. It was the best they had in the store. I think it was from "Classic Accessories". I did not take it on the road so can't speak to that but: it did not keep the boat dry and the sun turned it from gray to purple in a fews weeks. I would not recommend it.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:47 pm

OK Matt, I at least sent the dimensions in for a bid at Eastside Tent. We'll see what they come back with.
I had one made years ago on my first boat, a ski boat, and I realize how nice they are.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:54 pm

The Quadfather wrote:OK Matt, I at least sent the dimensions in for a bid at Eastside Tent. We'll see what they come back with.
I had one made years ago on my first boat, a ski boat, and I realize how nice they are.
If they give you a ball park that works, you take the boat to them and they make one that fits just your boat, with the OB too. Stop by and have a look at mine or Gringos. It takes a tough cover to trailer, most disintegrate.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Well just to follow up here. (Maybe somebody else is curious as well about these things)
I got a reply back from Eastside Tent and Awning.
They quoted about $550.00. I do remember the custom built cover that was done on my ski boat was really amazing.
I'll prob chew on it for a few days, but I bet I do it.

The thought of emptying out all the rods/downriggers, overnight clothes etc. from my Subaru, and putting it in the boat is enough to make me jump.😎

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:29 am

At that price I should have gone custom instead of over the counter.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:50 pm

hlindsay wrote:At that price I should have gone custom instead of over the counter.
I was very pleasantly surprised when I got the quote for my CustomWeld. It has a permanent soft top, so the cover is BIG! I had a couple of marine canvas places quote me for it and they were all way out of the ball park. They make all my covers. and when little things come up with the current cover, I have it washed then hand it over and they fix it. Never had a bill over $30 for repairs or tweaks. Really good folks.

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:59 pm

I may be late to the party, but I got a cover for my last boat from SavvyBoater. It was a Carver "semi-custom", which means its made for your model of boat, but not your exact boat. For mine it fit almost perfect. It was a very heavy duty cover with about 8 straps that went under the boat so was really snug. It was a bit over $200 if I recall. For mine they had different fabric choices--I went with a midrange between Sunbrella and standard duck. I was very happy with the cover.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Tue May 03, 2016 8:43 pm

The past few years, I just get a cheap eBay cover bc the covers are getting destroyed by the birds at the storage. I'm lucky if they last 1 year now. Put the new one on Feb. Looking fine so far.

I do not trailer with the cover on.