Eagle Claw is doing it again...

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
G-Man
Admiral

Eagle Claw is doing it again...

Post by G-Man » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Just saw today at Walmart a new Eagle claw series of rods that are inexpensive (under $30) and fit the Pink, Sockeye and Coho fishery perfectly. Eagle Claw's newest series is called Crafted Glass. These rods are a lighter in weight compared to their current Starfire series, have a graphite reel seat and use cork for the handle material. I was not able to find much data on their website about this new series, but there are internet sites with a few models other that what I saw in the store, available for sale. However, the rod I'm most excited about is the 8.5' casting/downrigger rod with an 8 - 20lb rating. It feels comparable in action to the 9' Uglystik I like using for the smaller salmon species and comes in at 1/2 the price. So naturally, being the gear junkie that I am, it came home with me just in time for the summer salmon fishery.
Attachments
Eagle Claw Rod Tag.jpg
Eagle Claw Rod Model Details.jpg
Eagle Claw Rod.jpg

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Eagle Claw is doing it again...

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:53 pm

Looks good! If I didn't have what, 25 poles in my garage? I would take a look at these...

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 am

I plan on picking up one of the 10'6" casting rods for a plunking stick.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:13 am

Cool. Those yellow kokanee rods that were on sale last year for $18 work great. Nice to not drop $100 to buy a rod to catch 12" fish.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Has anyone hooked into bigger fish with the kokanee series rods? Curious if they will explode with a king....
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:00 pm

No kings hooked on the kokanee version, but it handled a 7 - 9 lb sockeye without too much trouble. The only problem I see with using them for larger fish is if you are in a crowd. Having a fish tear off a bunch of line on a light setup is fun, until the fish collects a few other sets of gear and you end up with a total snarl. These rods will take a large amount of abuse, so just keep the drag set to a reasonable level and you will be ok.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:57 pm

I got a couple good sized steelhead on my yellow Kokanee rod. It's a fun rod for mid sized (probly up to about 12-15lbs in slower water) fish but I wouldn't use it for kings. I got the 8ft and it just doesn't have the backbone to get a king to the beach without exhausting it to near death.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.