Looking for a specific sort of rod...

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Looking for a specific sort of rod...

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:01 pm

I need a a fairly beefy ‘beefy stick’ of a rod, that I would describe as 6’, short and stout line a halibut rod... but nearly as stiff as a Halibut rod..

The rod is to be used for jigging 2-3 oz jigs for Mackinaw, 100’ + depth.
The reason for the stout rod is NOT for large fish. It is because I am matching it with a 1929 Penn Seahawk reel. The reel is the 2nd reel put into mass production by Penn. it came to me on a bamboo 1930 ish rod, which it fits, but I cannot find a current 6’ rod that the reel seat will fit into.

Any ideas? Halibut rods are like telephone poles, absolutely no flex.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Looking for a specific sort of rod...

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:28 am

Sounds like you may have to build one or modify an existing one with a different seat to get as specific as you need. Are the reel feet thicker? Wider?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:00 am

TrackerPro16 wrote:Sounds like you may have to build one or modify an existing one with a different seat to get as specific as you need. Are the reel feet thicker? Wider?
It’s just a bit wider, and. Probably a bit thicker. The rod that it came with actually uses what is basically a nut that you use a crescent wrench to adjust tightening the reel into the seat.
I’m not sure that I really comprehend how bamboo rods are loved by some folks. Some fly anglers revere them. To me it looks like recipe for disaster.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Building a new rod, or modifying one with a new reel seat seems pretty inane, considering you could simply file away or grind down the added width on the foot of the reel to fit a contemporary rod - or do what most guys would do; get a couple of hose clamps and wrap with electrical tape.

I have a Penn Stand Up Slammer 5.5' heavy action rod that might work for you, and am pretty sure it was designed for halibut. Should mention the reel seat and rod butt are definitely a larger diameter than most rods, but slot for the actual reel foot seems standard - pm me if interested.

As to bamboo / fly rods and how some are revered, a bamboo rod (actual / natural bamboo piece or sections with ferrules and guides tied on) is typically used for halibut / salmon, etc and was mostly discontinued in production some 80 years or so ago, whereas 'split cane' (an entirely different application of 5 - 6 shaved and tapered bamboo pieces per section laminated together) is used for fly rods. Back in the day ('30s - '50s) when split cane was at it's height in popularity, professional rod builders could easily spend a week's time putting a half dozen rods together from start to finish. Most were made in Japan, most were fortified with resin so as not to allow the sections to separate (crummy action), and most were priced in the medium to high range of rods.
Should you happen across a much rarer N American made rod signed by it's maker, it could be worth a tidy sum depending on condition.

The best of luck in your quest.

onmygame

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:46 pm

I picked up a bunch (25) rods from a ‘close out’ that are in the 6’ range and med to med/hev range. Berkley and others. $10 each if you want to take a look. I ran into the same issue today trying out a Chinese reel off Amazon. I DID find a rod (Berkley) that the reel seat worked with.
Have sold a number to friends so probably have 15 or so left mixed casting and spinning rods. Brand new rods. Most were in the $35+ Range before I got the ‘purge deal’.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Like this? 6 ft fiberglass with roller guides? My dad buys every penn he can find at garage sales. This rod came attached to one of the dozens of old penns we have.

Your welcome to it if you want it?

Definitely a meat rod!
Attachments
20180723_152541.jpg
20180723_152521.jpg
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Thank you for the offer, Sideburns.
Unfortunately, that looks about as firm and heavy action as the totem pole that I currently have is, LOL.
(The roller guides are the tell-tale sign.
I have another option out there.

I may just file down this reel seat a bit. I do love my using my Lamiglas ‘Classic Glass’ Downrigger rod, as a jig rod, I don’t know... ](*,)

I caught a 14” Kokanee this AM, jigging a 2.5 oz. jig, I felt the Koke slap it on the fall. Funny thing was the rod is so damn stiff, the whole way in I never knew he was solidly hooked. Could not feel a thing.
Immediately switched up to my nice Lami DR rod. [blink]

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:32 pm

There are some Ugly Stik rods that would probably work for you. The one I'm thinking about is in the Tiger series and a little more limber than those they make just for jigging heavy baits. You can also spend a couple hundred dollars on a Shimano Trevala rod that is super light, short, but can handle a heavy jig. They come in a few different weight profiles that do flex and even make fighting a fish quite fun.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 am

Ill second the Shimano Trevala rod its a brilliant light rod I use it for jigging for cod and I paired it with a penn squall 20

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:03 am

Yeah, I was watching some Yutubes in that rod. Looked nice.