Versitile Lingcod Rod

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Speedbird 48
Petty Officer

Versitile Lingcod Rod

Post by Speedbird 48 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:01 pm

Last Lingcod season I tried jigging with my Shimano Talora, and with my XXH 5'6 Halibut rod. Both experiences felt awkward. I would like to get a rod for Lings, but considering how short the season is I am not sure it is worth buying a dedicated Lingcod rod. I'd like something I could use for either other bottomfishing like flounder, perch, or greenling. Perhaps even as a bass rod. Or on the other end of the spectrum, something I could use for Halibut fishing in the inlet

spokey9
Captain

Re: Versitile Lingcod Rod

Post by spokey9 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:27 am

Maybe a 7'6" okuma celilo rod. It's fast enough action to jig with and it's rated to about 3 ounces. I've used jigs on my old one up to about 5 with no problems. And they pretty cheap, especially if you can find a sale.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:25 am

You don't have to go big on Lingcod. That setup sounds way too heavy/stout. There are many budget friendly setups that would work for both Lings and the other species you mention. You could get an Okuma Celilo or SST and pair to an inexpensive spinning or baitcaster for around $100 total. I like something in the 8' range for a boat rod with a medium or medium light action. 3000-4000 series reel with your choice of line (I usually go with 30# braid and variable test mono topshot). Lots of things depend on personal preference. A standard bass rod would work just fine in most instances too.

Speedbird 48
Petty Officer

Post by Speedbird 48 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:51 am

BentRod wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:25 am
You don't have to go big on Lingcod. That setup sounds way too heavy/stout. There are many budget friendly setups that would work for both Lings and the other species you mention. You could get an Okuma Celilo or SST and pair to an inexpensive spinning or baitcaster for around $100 total. I like something in the 8' range for a boat rod with a medium or medium light action. 3000-4000 series reel with your choice of line (I usually go with 30# braid and variable test mono topshot). Lots of things depend on personal preference. A standard bass rod would work just fine in most instances too.
Yeah I've wanted a bass rod for a while so I think that's what I will pick up

Speedbird 48
Petty Officer

Post by Speedbird 48 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 pm

BentRod wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:25 am
Mind if I ask what weight of SST to look at? I know you don't need to worry about casting since you are vertical jigging or using live bait for Lingcod, but I also know we generally use heavier jigheads for lings