Kona Coast of The Big Island, Hawaii

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Kona Coast of The Big Island, Hawaii

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:36 pm

:-" Well, I just got in from a 4 hour boat charter with my 8 y/o son down here off of Kona. I'm almost a little embarrased to be posting this..... but oh well, he had a good time, and want's to see his pic. on the internet.
When we first looked into fishing before coming down... we kind of decided not to go on a charter because it just was such a different ball game than when you go to our Washington coast. By that I mean that basicly everybody down here is selling you the boat and Capt. for the day or half day, $400-$800 bucks, ouch! I did find one boat that would do a "Shared charter" as what you think of in Westport, pay by the head.

We had fun, but they were fishing for basicly small fish, mackeral, Aha, (striped jack?) Ono, occaisonal Ahi. These were basicly bait fish for the Marlin and other billfish. Apparently the boat was out yesterday without a single fish caught, OUCH. But we did bring in I think 8 of the Mackeral/striped Jack, Ono, combination. About the size of a 2lb trout. HA!:cheers:
I have to mention that man.... what a trip it is to see how different it is fishing in different parts of the world. You can be a guy who fishes 3 days a week back at home, and then you get out to a place like this and you don't know @#$%#.
The reels these guys are using are as big your head! Bright brassy colored Penns, they go for about 1300 bucks! 100lb test line that resembles the clothes line my mom used to run across the back yard.
Anyway....thanks for putting up with my ramble. I actually packed two rods and gear down here for some surf fishing but the big island is not like any kind of surf we're used to in WA. As soon as I'm back I"m heading to Moclips or there abouts for some surf fishing that I can handle.

(Arghh!! I am fighting with this Wi-Fi connection and I can't go through photobucket to get my images compressed, so a picture will have to wait til I get home!)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Kona Coast of The Big Island, Hawaii

Post by A9 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:50 pm

Cool stuff Quad..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Sweet Chris! I bet your boy was pretty excited. Have fun man. Can't wait to see the pics.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:07 am

Glad to hear you were able to get out after all. Cant wait to see the pics. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:18 pm

Bring back some pics along with some heat.Travel safe and enjoy.Aloha
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

mics
Petty Officer

Post by mics » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:36 pm

hey quad,glad to see you got out,saw the weather the outher day was 80,man cant beat that.if you looking for local food and not to bad price wise try ,kona plate lunch and then theres a place called big island grill.have fun.have you wet aline from the bank yet? another great site for info about the kona and big island area is konaweb.com kind of a forum with real people inputs.web cam of the area by the coffee shop just before the vollyball area
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
try to leave a place in better shape than when you got there

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Can't wait to see the pictures..>Charter boats sure are pricey now a days...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

mics
Petty Officer

Post by mics » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:46 pm

sam,boy you sure got that right.the only good about the islands,if you can afford it, the boat is your for the day. but even here,the trip we take in june for canada halibut out of neah bay , has done nothing but go up every year.last year i think it was 170. you got 2 halis but its always alot of fun,but your with 12 of your friends also
try to leave a place in better shape than when you got there