What rods?

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
FishingThePacNW
Commander

What rods?

Post by FishingThePacNW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Hey guys im looking for a fly rod because i just got a new reel and need a rod for it! i was wondering what rods are good in the 20 to 40 dollar range? or if any of you guys have any cheap rods?
thanks

reelman
Warrant Officer

Re: What rods?

Post by reelman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:35 pm

I know it's not glamorous, but I tried out the Cortland 2 piece, 5wt rod at Walmart. It casts nice. It has a nice medium action. The one I own is the 4pc 5-6wt Scientific Anglers that was also offered by Walmart. I've compared it to some of the more expensive rods, and I find that it catches fish too. I've been happy to spend the difference in price between that and the Sage on something really cool like diapers for the baby (woohoo). I would splurge on the line though, because it is the most important factor. Something like a Cortland 555 (or equivalent).
Hope that helps.
Oh yeah. Stay away from Eagle Claw brand.
Where are you BTW?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:18 pm

Why no love for the Eagle Claw? I've owned several over the years and they've always been a nice price conscious rod.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:03 pm

I've cast a bunch of rods around that price, and the eagle claw were the worst. They had less spine than an old 1970's shakespear 4wt. Slow, heavy, dull. If I had one, I'd put it on my wall for decorative purposes, and use a willow with duct taped ferrules. No offense.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:49 pm

None taken but the ones I've had were head and shoulders above any lower end SA or FM Cortland both of those are like swinging a piece of rubber.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fullybuilt2.0
Petty Officer

Post by fullybuilt2.0 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:38 am

Try your local craigslist. Sometimes they have some decent rods. Cabelas sometimes have habe sales on there entry level rods around $40-50! It definitely worth it. GL

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 am

CL, probably not the best place for a youngster to be trolling around. If you want to keep the cost under about $40 I'd be watching EBay and don't be afraid to stay up late watching the auctions. I've picked up some dandy rods for under $40 bucks. Don't bid till under the last minute, be all signed in and make your max bid your first one. I've found if you bid early on a fly rod people will think you know something and start bidding of the hook. Watch the auction and bid at the last minute.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:04 pm

I cast a Cabela's Cahill yesterday that came with everything- reel, line, leader, and rod, for $60. I'd buy that if it were me.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:54 am

Looking to buy a fly rod set up(I have no fly rod experience) and ran across this old thread. Info in this thread is a few years old, anyone have any current recommendations??

Really interested in a kit with everything to get started......as long as it is not something that is going to teach me bad habits that will be hard to break when and if I move up to higher quality equipment in the future.

What do you guys and gals recommend to get started? Thanks in advance!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:50 am

goodtimesfishing wrote:Looking to buy a fly rod set up(I have no fly rod experience) and ran across this old thread. Info in this thread is a few years old, anyone have any current recommendations??

Really interested in a kit with everything to get started......as long as it is not something that is going to teach me bad habits that will be hard to break when and if I move up to higher quality equipment in the future.

What type of fish are you after besides everything. :) Fly rods are pretty specific.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:47 pm

Bodofish wrote:
goodtimesfishing wrote:Looking to buy a fly rod set up(I have no fly rod experience) and ran across this old thread. Info in this thread is a few years old, anyone have any current recommendations??

What type of fish are you after besides everything. :) Fly rods are pretty specific.
Specifically, would be for sea run cutthroat and steelhead. Waters would be north and south forks of the stilly. South fork is in my backyard so that is where I plan on learning how to fly fish. Occasional salt water beaches would be in the forecast I'm sure.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:47 pm

It's almost Christmas, add one to your Santa list.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:52 pm

rseas wrote:It's almost Christmas, add one to your Santa list.
Funny! That is exactly what I am doing. Wife keeps reminding me I need to make a list.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:29 pm

goodtimesfishing wrote:
Bodofish wrote:

Specifically, would be for sea run cutthroat and steelhead. Waters would be north and south forks of the stilly. South fork is in my backyard so that is where I plan on learning how to fly fish. Occasional salt water beaches would be in the forecast I'm sure.
It sounds like you really are looking to get into some two handed action with a spey or switch rod, mainly for the salt. Unfortunately all the mfgs are very proud of their two handed rods. You could get away with a 6-7 wt for the Sea Runs and you'd be about smack on for upwards of 8-10 lb on the river. My suggestion would be to look into some lessons through one of the local shops so you can try out what you want and find out what fits you. There's really no such thing as someone just picking out what's going to make you happy. It's not really the same thing as chucking hardware or bait, there's a lot more personal feel involved. Or you could just jump out and buy a starter set and be unhappy with it after a few months and work your way through a succession of rods and reels till you find what makes you happy.

I'd start by checking out some of the local shops and see what they have to offer. Fly gear isn't like other fishing gear, unfortunately its turned into a big bucks game and the spey stuff is even more so.

megacabcummins
Petty Officer

Post by megacabcummins » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:38 pm

These guys are awesome, they may or may not have something in your price range but very much worth going in and having a chat, and they have casting classes ect. http://pacificflyfishers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg's Custom Rods in Lake Steven's may not deal as much with fly gear, but still a really nice shop, and you could always take a class and build your own fly rod. http://www.gregscustomrods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always try and check out the bargain cave at Cabelas, always some good deals in there :)

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:34 am

I'd buy a Redington Crosswater. For 70 bucks you're getting a pretty decent rod. I second checking out Pacific Fly Fishers, they are awesome, always pointed me in the right directions, given great advice, and are super friendly and knowledgable. I took a class there a couple years ago, that was great too.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.