Fly Tying Kits

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
Gotcha
Petty Officer

RE:Fly Tying Kits

Post by Gotcha » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:44 am

leahcim_dahc wrote:I have never heard the term "The Deid" before. Had to google it to find out, I'm army...we still ride the short bus once in a while. :-) Is that an AFB in Qatar? Good luck on your deployment, hope you get back home in one piece....
HAHA! Sorry, I assumed most everyone has been through "The Deid". But yeah, it is Qatar. As far as it goes for deployments it's definately an easy location to be at.

Good luck to you as well!
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." -John Wooden

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:
leahcim_dahc wrote:Thanks, Marc! How well does it work not having cam operated jaws? I assume you just crank down on the screw on the side of the jaws to hold the hooks.

It appears to handle a wide range of hook sizes without having to change jaws, which is rather handy. Price is kinda nice, too! :-)
I can switch from tying a #18 to tying a 3/0 with great ease without changing any parts. The two screw adjustments are very easy to use. The Spider was suggested by Sean at the Silver Bow Fly Shop in Spokane. For the money, it is a great vise.

Go into a fly shop that handles it. They may let you tie up a fly on it in the shop to try it.
I need to do some calling around and find a retailer. Cabela's carries them...or at least on their site, but most of the fly shop sites around here don't show having any. Most of them are pushing the Renzetti's or HMH's. A couple had Griffin's, but they wasn't a style I was interested in.

http://washingtonflyfishing.com/faq/idx ... Shops.html

I don't think I'll be tying much under a #18...so should work fairly well for what I need.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Alrighty, finally got me a kit put together. Ended up buying the Griffin vise. Works quite well. Changing the jaw configuration for different size hooks is simple. I was skeptical over the screw type clamp instead of the cam lever action...but seems to be holding quite well.

As far as materials go...I think I have enough to last for quite a while. For a basic starter kit, I put together the basics. Elk hair, deer hair, maribou, chenille, assorted hackle, pheasant, peacock, partridge, dubbing (in various colors...mostly the natural earth tone colors), tinsel, flashabou, crystal flash, copper wire, lead wire, 500 + hooks (#10 - #18, nymph, streamer & dry), thread, etc., etc..

With regards to tools, I just ended up piecing a kit together. Hackle pliers (long & short), whip finisher, scissors, bobbins, dubbing tool, thread starter, etc., etc.. In addition to the tools and materials, I purchased a couple books, as well.

The Orvis Fly-Tying Guide- Tim Rosenbauer
Tying Flies- Jack Dennis
Innovative Flies and Techniques- Al & Gretchen Beatty

Should keep me busy for a while. Already tied up four train wrecks and one decent woolly bugger. Still need practice....all in due time.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:23 am

leahcim_dahc wrote:Alrighty, finally got me a kit put together. Ended up buying the Griffin vise. Works quite well. Changing the jaw configuration for different size hooks is simple. I was skeptical over the screw type clamp instead of the cam lever action...but seems to be holding quite well.

As far as materials go...I think I have enough to last for quite a while. For a basic starter kit, I put together the basics. Elk hair, deer hair, maribou, chenille, assorted hackle, pheasant, peacock, partridge, dubbing (in various colors...mostly the natural earth tone colors), tinsel, flashabou, crystal flash, copper wire, lead wire, 500 + hooks (#10 - #18, nymph, streamer & dry), thread, etc., etc..

With regards to tools, I just ended up piecing a kit together. Hackle pliers (long & short), whip finisher, scissors, bobbins, dubbing tool, thread starter, etc., etc.. In addition to the tools and materials, I purchased a couple books, as well.

The Orvis Fly-Tying Guide- Tim Rosenbauer
Tying Flies- Jack Dennis
Innovative Flies and Techniques- Al & Gretchen Beatty

Should keep me busy for a while. Already tied up four train wrecks and one decent woolly bugger. Still need practice....all in due time.
Chad,
Don't forget the tutorial at flyanglersonline.com . Step by step instructions and great looking flies from the get go. Also, I had the opportunity to meet Al & Gretchen Beatty at a Fall fishing outing. They are really great folks and the service they provide is really top of the line.
Good Luck,
and have fun.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Looks like you have a good kit put together. If you have any questions, feel free to post it or shoot off a PM.

Don't worry about the train wrecks. If they hold together, fish them. I have caught several fish with some "not so pretty" flies. If they resemble a bug, use it.

Snap a photo of one and post it. Have fun.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:Looks like you have a good kit put together. If you have any questions, feel free to post it or shoot off a PM.

Don't worry about the train wrecks. If they hold together, fish them. I have caught several fish with some "not so pretty" flies. If they resemble a bug, use it.

Snap a photo of one and post it. Have fun.
I should have saved the ugly one's, but disassembled them and kept the hooks. I did take a photo of a woolly bugger, I posted it at the linky below... :-)

http://washingtonlakes.com/forum/yaf_po ... t-fly.aspx

BTW, thanks for the tip on the Griffin Vise! Works pretty darn good, so far.

Lotech Joe-
I have that site bookmarked in my browser...quite a bit of information and great tutorials. Thanks!
Chad

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:05 pm

Nice job! The flash in the tail will help very much. Here is one suggestion to try:

When tying in the hackle, tie in the tip of the hackle instead of the butt end of it. This will give it a tendency to lay back more as you wind the hackle forward. With the heavier and longer hackle towards the front, the fly will take on a tapered look and the hackle will flow towards the back more.

The tail marabou should remain natural. I wouldn't cut it to shorten it. If the marabou is too short, it will not fluctuate when using a jigging motion. You can always tie the marabou in shorter, but don't cut it.

I'm glad you like the vise.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:49 am

leahcim_dahc wrote:
I have to say, my dad bought be a tying kit when I was in high school and it came with a whip finisher....I've never used it.
Snakes dont have any arms that's why they dont wear vests - Stephen Wright

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 am

ruthven78 wrote:I have to say, my dad bought be a tying kit when I was in high school and it came with a whip finisher....I've never used it.
With a bit of practice, my whip finishes have started to look better and better. Biggest issue I had was tying it too tight...then the thread would break when I pulled it through at the end. Some people prefer the whip finisher...some prefer to finish by hand...with a bit of practice...either way should work rather well.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad