South Sound Ling?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dustin07
Commodore

South Sound Ling?

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:54 pm

I have a few spots in the north sound that I could try, but its a very long drive (or feels like it). I'm wondering if sound sound is worth trying at all? Anything between Pt Defiance to Seattle? Not looking for your honey hole, but man it seems like Lings consistently come from the Island areas up north.

bionic_one
Captain

RE:South Sound Ling?

Post by bionic_one » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:28 pm

That's because there are not very many down south. The habitat isn't there. Very sandy/muddy, and lings like structure.
Lee

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Most of the effort and lings taken is under the Tacoma Narrows bridge.
Life's short - fish hard!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:15 pm

wolverine wrote: Most of the effort and lings taken is under the Tacoma Narrows bridge.
Yeah I usually see people in that area and north, seems like I see a ton jigging right off the point. I have seen a fair number of lings diving off ruston but thats it personally.

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Unfortunately due to the depth limitations its almost impossible to fish for ling cod under the narrows bridge. Toliva shoal south of the bridge would make the only other suitable area within the maximum approved depth to harvest ling cod.
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:08 pm

There's a reef near olympia north that is pretty killer. It's north of hope island up there, but we get some lings from it every year if we go down that way. Last year when we fished it we had six fish on at once.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Thu May 05, 2011 12:54 pm

the "old hard core guys"..have been avoid'n bad weather but when they did get out they took their limits...ling and blk mouth...they've been put'n in at Swan Town or Boston Harbor(less than a 10 min run to fish) if the tides would let 'em...and they say the lings were "EASY" 'n right where you'd think they would be<shrugs>..DOG