How to catch something new?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Eugene
Petty Officer

How to catch something new?

Post by Eugene » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Hi Guys! Usually I fish from pier or from kayak for bottom fishes in different places in areas 8-2 to 10 (Mukilteo, Edmonds, Seattle). I always catch flounders, sculpins and rockfishes (release of course). But I am really tired of catching the same fishes each time, so I am wondering - is it possible to catch anything new in this areas? Maybe mackerel, herring, tuna? :nemo: Thank you!

gfakkema
Commander

Re: How to catch something new?

Post by gfakkema » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:01 pm

tuna on the yak would be hardcore lol, better bring a friend with another boat incase them tuna tip you.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:00 am

Catch them dog fish if you just wanna catch and released fish...its fun but careful handling it cause it has a bard by the dosal fin. Use a cut up herring.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:51 am

Pinks.

That is all. Carry on.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:47 am

I would try and find a mud bottom bay and fish for skates.

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:50 am

Thank you all guys!
HULI_ISDA wrote:Catch them dog fish if you just wanna catch and released fish...its fun but careful handling it cause it has a bard by the dosal fin. Use a cut up herring.
Thank you. As I know dogfishes are allowed to keep. Tell me if I am wrong. There are few sharks that are listed in regs that cannot be retained and dogfish is not in list. By the way, I never caught one.

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:34 am

You don't like salmon? The season is in full force right now.

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:39 am

scraig1962 wrote:You don't like salmon? The season is in full force right now.
Yeah, I know) Honestly I do not know how to catch these guys. Spent 2 days of casting, trolling, drifting, etc. No luck yet!( I have used buzz bombs 2 and 2 1/2 inches, Gibbs rotator, pink silicone squids, etc. Event didn't get a bite... The problem is I do not have a fish finder yet, so I do not know how deep they are. But it is my guess, maybe there is some other reason. ](*,)

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:25 am

Mukilteo to Shipwreck would be the place to be right now. You don't need to go out far to get into fish. Last time I was out they were surfacing all over. Cast your buzz bombs to the surfacing fish, let sink 5-10 seconds and jig back to you kayak. For trolling, the fish have been suspended at 20-35ft at daylight and down to 50ft around 10am. Trolling a 6-8oz lead, herring dodger and hoochie should catch some fish out of a kayak.

Since you don't have a fish finder, there is an app called Navionics for Android/Apple phones. I think I paid $15. t has a lot of features such as depth contours, GPS speed, tides, way points, buoy markers and much more. Basically the same chart plotters the high end fish finders have. With the app at least you know how deep the water is your fishing. If you catch one you can set a way point and hit the spot again. Its a pretty neat app.

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Scraig1962 - thank you! Next time I will try these techniques. And what size/weight buzz bomb should I use? Is 2 inches enough or 3-4" would be better?

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:30 pm

Good luck out there. 2" is perfect for casting into shallow water close to shore but 2.5" is better for deeper water. I've never used any larger than 2.5".