Best all around Fish Fillet Knife?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
eddiebishop
Angler

Best all around Fish Fillet Knife?

Post by eddiebishop » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi guys,

I've only been seriously fishing for two seasons and frankly, I regret most of the tackle purchasing decisions I made when I first started. Now it has become apparent I need a better knife. The inexpensive Berkley knife I bought just isn't cutting it! (pun intended) Cleaning a salmon with it is frustrating. The included knife sharpener seems ineffective. The thought of actually filleting with this knife is downright scary and I won't even try it. What do you all use? Would love to hear your recommendations. I hate to poke you guys with a rookie question but please take a stab at it. (puns included to enhance the entertainment value of this post) Thanks!

Eddie

PS NWFR is great! I've learned so much from you all!

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Re: Best all around Fish Fillet Knife?

Post by Onmygame » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:20 pm

I've used J Marrtini of Finland (sold by Rapala) for years and years.

They are hand ground stainless blades that are extremely flexible, hold a razor sharp edge for a good while, are easy to sharpen,.. and come in a variety of lengths.

If you are only able to go with just one knife - get the longest blade you can find as it would be more diverse in terms of size of fish you can work with.

Typically under $25

The best of luck

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:08 pm

Kershaw 1288SH Pro Grade 8-1/2-Inch Spoon Handle Fillet Knife is what I use and also use the smaller size one.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:18 pm

I did the same as you at one point, and got a Berkley knife. It sucked, until I took it to a mobile sharpening guy one day. Now it works great, and I am able to keep it sharp. Trying to sharpen it originally myself didn't work. Once this guy got it cutting like a ginsu, it works great and I can keep it sharp enough.

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:28 pm

I have a Ken Onion fillet knife. I love it for salmon but do find myself using two knives--the ken onion to get the fillet off and a Kershaw, which is more flexible, to get the rib bones off (I cut the fillet off with the rib bones and remove them later). Check out Mike's salmon filleting video featuring a Big Eddy knife. Pretty slick. if I was buying again I'd look at that one. Its a third the price of the Ken Onion and I like the idea of the serrated portion at the base to cut through the rib bones .

4n6fisher
Lieutenant

Post by 4n6fisher » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Columbia River Big eddy knife, I bought one after watching Mike's video and it really slices right through. I got the large one and the only draw back is wanting a smaller knife for gutting/de-gilling. Got my first run with it down at buoy 10 and I impressed everyone with my filleting skills (which I do not really have but the knife maid me look good).

eddiebishop
Angler

Post by eddiebishop » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:23 pm

Thank you Onmygame, sickbayer, JoshH, kodacachers, and 4n6fisher! These are great suggestions. I like JoshH idea to have this one sharpened, but I think I see a new knife purchase in my future. And two knives would be a slice of heaven! Thanks again for your thoughtful responses. See you on the water!
Tight lines!

Eddie

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:17 pm

BTW, they make the Columbia River Big eddy knife with both a long and a short blade. I personally prefer the short blade, maybe because I mostly catch little fish. [blink]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:20 pm

I just gave three away they were all good I gave away a crk and two Berkley. I don't think they're expensive so buy a couple of different ones. If buy from amazon really easy to return them.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:15 pm

hello eddiebishop I would like to add to all the awesome comments that, The Best all-round (or just best) fillet knife is a sharp one. The Sharper the knife the Better it will perform, and when you mentioned the poor job you were getting, my first thought is the knife was probably not "super sharp" to start with and now could be quite dull. Any fillet knife you pull off the shelf will do an adequate job of filleting (given the appropriate size for the job) IF it is sharp. So keep in mind as you accumulate fillet knives (which you will) to make sure the one you are using is sharp. Have I mentioned Sharp yet. :-"
"Sharp" is a matter of perception, what one person would consider as sharp and be satisfied with the results might not cut the mustard to the next fisherman/woman. So find your level of comfort. Getting a blade sharpened by a professional will most always result in a superior sharpening job because that is what the person specializes in. After reading the different posts, I tried to decide which of my fillet knives I'd consider my favorite. I couldn't make a definite choice. I'm a blade nut (usually keep 3-4 on the boat at any given time), so when I started gathering my fillet knives I found I would be satisfied to use any of them. Granted It wouldn't be my first choice to jump on a 30# king with the lil 4 inch Rapala, but they would all get the job done. I have knives from a Kershaw trade-a-blade to a couple Shun fillet knives. All the knives mentioned are excellent choices, but either learn to sharpen to a razor's edge (my preference) or get some one to keep them sharp for you. you will be happy with a sharp fillet knife. [thumbsup]

eddiebishop
Angler

Post by eddiebishop » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Thank you, blufin loui! Good point! (pun also intended) I'll get and keep my new knives very sharp.

See you all on the water. BTW I'm the old guy in the cream 1971 Glasspar with Bimini top adorned with an Evinrude 85 and an Evinrude 9.9. I fish Redondo, Shilshole, Lk WA Coulon Park, and Sammamish. If you see me, give me a hoot!

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Bubba Blade. I have had mine for years and love the snit out of it http://www.basspro.com/Bubba-Blade-FLEX ... 19-2075169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:44 am

blufin, thanks, that's a perfect early Segway to the winter Puyallup show where we will be giving away a Work Sharp Tool Sharpner to a lucky NWFR member.

http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpeners-12.html

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:01 pm

Hey ya Mike, I thought about mentioning the Work Sharp but since I haven't been on the site lately wasn't sure if they were still a sponsor. I bought my first Work Sharp Sharpener back when they became available. After sharpening 100 or so blades, I had to contact the Manufacturer due to the unit quit working. Had a spark, sizzle, then a lil smoke. The next day I was contacted by a company representative and a new one was in the mail the same day. They Paid postage so I could return the dead unit for assessment.
After conquering the learning curve of sharpening on a belt--the WS is a belt sharpener--the units are a simple, fast, and efficient sharpening aid.
eddiebishop, if you get a chance to see one of the Work Sharp units in action, you'll put one on your Birthday List. LOL
I've bought 4 for gifts and have a backup for when my current one dies the death. So I guess you could say I'm satisfied with their results.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Hey eddiebishop, I'd hoot n holler if I saw you on the water, but I live over on the dry side of the state. My daughter just moved to Sammamish this summer, and I have been over to visit her several time this summer, and look longingly at the lake. Will have to bring over a rod and give it a try when I figure out the shore fishing on Lake Sammamish.
Wishing you good luck with your future filleting, may there be a lot of it.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:27 pm

blufin loui wrote:Hey eddiebishop, I'd hoot n holler if I saw you on the water, but I live over on the dry side of the state. My daughter just moved to Sammamish this summer, and I have been over to visit her several time this summer, and look longingly at the lake. Will have to bring over a rod and give it a try when I figure out the shore fishing on Lake Sammamish.
Wishing you good luck with your future filleting, may there be a lot of it.
Hey, give a shout if you're visiting and I'd be happy to get you out on the lake. I don't fish it a lot but could stumble into a couple fish with a little luck.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:39 am

Why thank you Mike. That's mighty kind of you to offer. I'll shoot you a PM. [thumbsup]

eddiebishop
Angler

Post by eddiebishop » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:34 am

Hey thanks again, bluefin. Would be honored to fish with you. If you are heading over here on the "wet side", let me know. We'll go trolling!

Eddie

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:50 am

I have the standard Dexter sanisafe knife, but I'll tell you what. The best one I've found lately is a Mustad knife that Sportco sells for like $4.99. Looks similar to this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/KVD-Mustad-7- ... h/23704235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but with a blue handle and black blade. It's been great for the sockeye, little coho etc... I've been catching. It was a little small for the chinook but if you can control your cuts it works well.

eddiebishop
Angler

Post by eddiebishop » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:00 pm

geekgiant, thanks man! A lot of great suggestions from this group!