Crabbing north Hood Canal?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Larry3215
Admiral

Crabbing north Hood Canal?

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:36 pm

WDFW just extended crabbing in Hood Canal and a small portion of Admiralty Inlet from the Hood Canal Bridge to Fowl weather bluff.
Sport crabbing season to remain open
in Hood Canal, part of Admiralty Inlet

OLYMPIA – State shellfish managers are extending the sport crabbing season in Hood Canal (Marine Area 12) and a portion of Admiralty Inlet (Marine Area 9) until Feb. 28. All other Puget Sound marine areas will close at 5 p.m. on Dec. 31, as scheduled.

The only portion of Admiralty Inlet that will remain open until Feb. 28 is the area north of the Hood Canal Bridge to the Foulweather Bluff to Olele Point line. The rest of Marine Area 9 will close Dec. 31, along with most other areas of Puget Sound. Those areas are scheduled to reopen next summer.

The department is extending the sport crab fishery in Hood Canal and a portion of Admiralty Inlet because there are plenty of crabs remaining in those areas, said Rich Childers, shellfish policy lead for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

“We’re seeing a lot of crab especially in the northern section of Hood Canal,” Childers said.
I haven't fished that area in 20 or more years. We may want to try some crabbing up there in late Dec or Jan weather permitting.

Anyone know of a good launch near the bridge or maybe Port Ludlow this time of year?

Anyone actually crab up in that area and willing to share some spots to try?

Happy Holidays to all - even those who wont share their secrete spots! ;) I know that's asking a bit much even for xmas cheer :)

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Crabbing north Hood Canal?

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:58 am

If you are approaching the bridge on the East side, and coming from Kingston, there is a launch at a park which is just 1/8th mile N. of the bridge. I am pretty sure it is called "Salsbury park" ? spelling. I'd link it, but I'm in a hurry.
Google map it.

Launch was redone maybe 6-8 years ago. easy parking, bathrooms, etc.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:34 pm

salsbury is where I usually launch. they usually keep the bathrooms locked this time a year but they may have a porta potty hiding up the trail. if you have a smaller boat you can launch on the other side of the bridge at the wdfw ramp, think its called shine. quillcene is another spot I fish and crab, 1 lane ramp at the marina.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks guys!