8&9 blackmouth close to Guideline

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BARCHASER10
Captain

8&9 blackmouth close to Guideline

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:12 pm

I haven't done much black mouth fishing this winter mostly cause the marine weather has been so awful. I thought I would do more when/if the marine weather got a little better.

Looks like that will prob not happen as 8&9 will prob get closed soon. MA 8 is at 82% of the guideline and 9 is at 75%. I'm surprised at that. The fishchecker reports didn't show many fish being caught. Must be the "encounter" methodology they are using. Maybe I'll go over to CQ in April. I did that last year in April and it was pretty decent.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports_plants.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hunter757
Commander

Re: 8&9 blackmouth close to Guideline

Post by Hunter757 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:01 pm

They must of borrowed Sound transit RTA tax tool. ROLMAO!!
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:32 pm

I cant find where the allowable catch numbers are - didnt it go down this year pretty much everywhere?

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:39 am

Larry if you click on the link above and look on the right side you will see the catch numbers. This is updated every Monday around 9 am just as the krill report for PS is. They have fish checkers at the launch and they count boats and people and a S.W.A.G. to figure the encounters in an area.
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:02 am

Ah - I must be going blind in my old age - I looked all over that page and didnt see it!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Old age???!!! It gets worse. Wait until you get to 73!

I think the SWAG must have a decidedly tribal tilt. I remember last May, one of the tribal chiefs complaining about how many winter Chinooks the sports got that winter. I stopped at the Everett ramp this morning, completely empty.

I stopped at Everett Marina to get my annual senior citizen free launch permit. Guess what? Turns out I cant get a free launch permit anymore. They changed the policy this year and you have to live in Sno Cty, I live in King Cty. Seems like its hard to find good news anymore or maybe I just got grumpy.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:13 pm

I feel your pain, I also was denied a free pass for living on Camano Is.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:27 am

Wow, you would think Everett Marina would give all senior citizen a pass what a crock of shi* sorry guys really wish everyone would understand one day they will be in the same boat!!
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't know but I suspect the Everett Marina may need to get as much $ as they can particularly for the ramp operations. In good Coho and Pink years they could get 100, 200 even 300 rigs a day in the lot from August until the end of October even into Nov. I've seen that huge lot completely full. At 9 bucks each that's lots of $. Last year nada, no Coho and not a PInk year either. Plus the weather this winter was so lousy, according to the fishchecker reports, not many rigs were there.

It is always, all the time, about money.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:23 pm

BARCHASER wrote:I don't know but I suspect the Everett Marina may need to get as much $ as they can particularly for the ramp operations. In good Coho and Pink years they could get 100, 200 even 300 rigs a day in the lot from August until the end of October even into Nov. I've seen that huge lot completely full. At 9 bucks each that's lots of $. Last year nada, no Coho and not a PInk year either. Plus the weather this winter was so lousy, according to the fishchecker reports, not many rigs were there.

It is always, all the time, about money.
It is indeed. The only way around this problem would be to increase taxes so the municipality could just make it free to everyone or at least be more generous.

I know people hate taxes, but they are necessary to our way of life.

I hear people all the time arguing that why should they pay a tax for things they dont/wont ever use. Let the ones who do use it pay a toll or user fee to cover those costs.

I know east side folks hate paying for bridges or other public infrastructure things on the west side that they will (maybe) never use.

The problem with that argument, is that then the east side folks sould be stuck paying for their bridges and stuff all on their own. There are a lot fewer people on the east side, so their tolls and fees would go WAY up compared to what west side would pay for the same things.

Taxes and fees still suck.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:59 am

Good post. Kinda like the old saying "careful what you wish for, you might get it." Like everybody, I don't like taxes, but somebody has to pay for stuff.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 am

Not many fish being caught? Did you not see the creel reports near the opener? The fleet killed em. Almost a-fish-a boat in Everett and better than a fish a boat in other marinas. That's better than summer #'s

Anyone who fished 9 around the opener would know the closure was coming. I am honestly surprised its stayed open this long!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Matt wrote:Not many fish being caught? Did you not see the creel reports near the opener? The fleet killed em. Almost a-fish-a boat in Everett and better than a fish a boat in other marinas. That's better than summer #'s

Anyone who fished 9 around the opener would know the closure was coming. I am honestly surprised its stayed open this long!
The saddest thing to me is how dismally low our expectations have become if "Almost a-fish-a boat" is considered 'killing' them.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Just hard for me to buy this "encounter guideline" of 6081 "encounters' in 9 ands 6125 in 8 for a total of 12,206. I don't get it, I sure don't see those kind of numbers in the fishchecker reports even allowing for smolts caught.

Besides I just noticed something. They change the numbers arbitrarily. MA 8 is now 48%. As I said above, MA 8 was 82% a week ago. What!!!?? How come 8 dropped from 82% to 48%? I didnt make up 82% number, it said 82% a week ago, now of course the online number sez 48%. I'm not sure about their bean counters.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Maybe the people counting fish are the same ones that set the new car tab renewal rates. Slightly maybe over inflated... :cheers:

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:33 am

Larry3215 wrote: The saddest thing to me is how dismally low our expectations have become if "Almost a-fish-a boat" is considered 'killing' them.
I don't really know what you consider to be good chinook fishing. But if you're over a fish a boat in the central sound you're doing excellent. There are TONS of people who have no clue what they're doing (and as such are bringing in NOTHING).... a fish-a-boat average indicates MANY boats (who are the fish catchers) are bringing in MORE than 1 fish each..... That's good fishing. We had consecutive days of 3-4 chinook coming back with us in February. Blackmouth fishing in general has actually been quite good the past several years.... I'd say the last 4 years a least have been notable.