Puget Sound salmon season

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
retired11
Petty Officer

Re: Puget Sound salmon season

Post by retired11 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:51 am

HammerinHonkers wrote:Couple more questions:
For those of you that use braid as your mainline, do you tie directly to the flasher with braid or have a topshot of 10-15 feet of mono before flasher?
Do any of you guys ever just fish 4-6oz banana sinker with a OG, Spoon, superbait etc? I have one DR and will usually be fishing 2 rods. So either gonna go diver or just weight on the second rod. Ive never stacked on a DR so may try that too
Braid to flasher.....

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:41 pm

I use about 20' of mono to the flasher. You'll catch fish with a top rod just put it out on the other side and not more then 4oz.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Went out and meet up with my daughter and family. Put my grand daughter in my boat. We where on the east bar and not long after starting I boated a 7lb. Alta had fun fishing two rods after that, caught there two small kings and one wild Coho. Great day.

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:53 am

Spent some time fishing the Kingston area yesterday morning with out any luck. We fished from 6 am to about 11 am and caught one shaker. We seen a munch of boats fishing but didn't see one net fly. I guess theirs always another day.....

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 am

I fished Kingston on Tues with my friend Terry. I got an 18 at 6:15 and about 7 Terry got a 12, both around tide change. We were on the outside edge of the bar in 100-110 FOW. Had things to do so I didn't go out the last two days but Terry and I are going tomorrow. Flasher, purple haze squid with an Ace Hi Fly under it and a 3" salted strip with Bloody Tuna scent. For us there was a good bite right around tide change . We on the outside edge of the bar rather than the rest of the fleet who seemed fish that indentation at the south end of the bar closer in.

Report • Reply

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:49 am

BARCHASER wrote:I fished Kingston on Tues with my friend Terry. I got an 18 at 6:15 and about 7 Terry got a 12, both around tide change. We were on the outside edge of the bar in 100-110 FOW. Had things to do so I didn't go out the last two days but Terry and I are going tomorrow. Flasher, purple haze squid with an Ace Hi Fly under it and a 3" salted strip with Bloody Tuna scent. For us there was a good bite right around tide change . We on the outside edge of the bar rather than the rest of the fleet who seemed fish that indentation at the south end of the bar closer in.

Report • Reply
Very Good! I will have to keep going, I won't be able to go until next week.....

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Looking for some advice on divers. What kind do you guys like to run? Small, large? Never fished a diver setup, any beginner tips to shorten the learning curve. Or keep me from having a preventable mess...
Thanks guys, I’ve much appreciated the help thus far. Looking forward to later this month and September to put it all to use.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:18 am

I've never used a diver. 100% downriggers since I moved to Seattle in 1980.

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:49 pm

I only have one rigger so was looking to do a diver or just banana weight on the second rod.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:45 pm

I never found the need to use a diver. When I only had one DR. I would use a banana weight from 2 to 4oz. and caught just bas many as the DR..

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:18 pm

When you’re using just weight are you running a flasher as well? Was thinking that trolling at coho speeds there would be too much drag and bring the gear up to the surface.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:00 pm

No flasher just a plug cut or whole herring In a hood. To run a flasher you will need more weight and then it's no fun playing a fish.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:23 am

I have two Penn Manual downriggers and I'll sell one or both. Full cable, extended boom, swivel base, all the bells and whistles, cash only. I'll have to think about the price if you are interested.

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks Bar. May take you up on that, I wanna see how running a surface line and a rigger line goes. I’ll shoot ya a PM if I feel like I need two DRs, see if you still have one available.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:30 am

I havent actually had them for sale yet. One of those "I need to sell them" deals that I haven't gotten around to for 8-9 years

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:02 am

My childhood friend came up from Portland this week to fish Chinooks. Wednesday we hit Kingston and I got a 15 pounder ( on the scale) and Mike had a hard strike but it didn't stick. I wanted Mike to take the fish but it hit the rod I usually fish and he thought I should take it and after arguing for about 10 seconds I took the fish.

Thursday we hit Kingston again but it was sloooow, We got nada and only saw one or two taken, just lots of weeds. This morning we were on the water at 5:30 and hit the Oil Docks. Mike got a 12 pounder at 6 and I got one the same size around 7. Quick day and my old buddy got a fish. Good bite this AM at the Oil Docks.

80 and 90 feet on the DR. One hit a purple haze squid and the other a dark green glo squid, both with an Ace Hi Fly underneath and a 4" herring strip loaded with Bloody Tuna Anise on the top hook, south end of the dock.

Yesterday I thought the run was ending but these two fish this morning look pretty fresh.

How's everybody else doing?

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Good job partner, way to put you out of state friend on some fish. I haven't been out since 9 closed, my daughter and family went out Saturday evening to Jeff head and had a lot of fun keeping up with the action. Son-in-law caught a 10lb shortly after setting lines, then my granddaughter caught a 13lb. Grand son lost one at about 13lb.

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:50 pm

No fishing for me last week, had some plumbing and septic tank issues.

I'm going to give the Hood Canal a try this coming Wednesday and if that goes well I will go out again on Friday.

If anyone has any pointers for that area please share.

Thanks

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:51 pm

retired11 wrote:No fishing for me last week, had some plumbing and septic tank issues.

I'm going to give the Hood Canal a try this coming Wednesday and if that goes well I will go out again on Friday.

If anyone has any pointers for that area please share.

Thanks
The Canal is a pretty long stretch of water, broken into two separate MA12 areas, with 3 separate MA12 sets of rules - including the 'Hatchery Zone'

South of Ayock it looks to be open for Chinook since July 1, with a 2 fish daily unless within the HZ, which affords you 4 fish.

North of Ayock it looks to be Coho only since it's month long later opener (08/01) than south HC.

These are only my interpretations, and I've been wrong before - but study the rules and regs before you go.

During the Chum season in the fall, tribes net Tue - Thur, traditionally. Please look into the summer Chinook season before you go - as you may arrive with zero opportunity to fish due to tribal activity.

Should also mention crabbing is open only Thursday through Monday throughout MA12 through the summer season.

The best of luck, and be safe out there.

onmygame

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 am

MA 10 closes to Chinooks 12:01 AM on the 17th, in other words, it is closed starting tomorrow. I'm happy, went out 11 times and got 11 hatchery Chinooks in the boat and one wild. Looking forward to Silvers now.