Puget Sound salmon season

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
retired11
Petty Officer

Re: Puget Sound salmon season

Post by retired11 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 am

I know it's not facebook, the block me comment was some humor..... Bottom line, I have check the latest reports and I'm still not seeing your report... This brings up another which is how many other reports are not showing up..... I probably check the latest report page a couple times a day..... BTW I don't even use facebook....

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:49 pm

Hit up the oil dock area from 630-11. One small (7#) king released first 10min in. Miss a few drive bys after that. I think i finally figured out my issue with my DR setup, Ive missed quite a few takedowns so far. See if my percentage goes up next trip. My dad got a small resident coho at about 4# mid morning. Fish were taken on flasher and squid/herring strip and flasher kokanee brads cut plug in chartreuse. 20-50 ft down. Fish checker said it had been slow.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:49 am

retired11 wrote:I know it's not facebook, the block me comment was some humor..... Bottom line, I have check the latest reports and I'm still not seeing your report... This brings up another which is how many other reports are not showing up..... I probably check the latest report page a couple times a day..... BTW I don't even use facebook....
you don't see this under "Latest Reports"?
reports.jpg

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am

Oh well, this morning was good. My friend Terry and didn't get the lines out until 7AM. But we had our 4 by 8AM, between Edmonds and the Oil Docks. Decent ocean fish 6-7 pounds. My boat will spend the night at the dock in the water and I'll be out there again tomorrow. 30-40 feet, got fish on a green squid and a purple squid both with an Ace Hi Fly under it and a 3" herring strip with Bloody Tuna anise. 2 foot lure line, fast troll.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Great to here Gary. My daughter and family were out yesterday and nothing.

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:48 pm

I was out Monday and it seemed a little slow, compared to what i heard sunday was like. Got my two, one small res and a high 7# ocean goer. Only had 4 bites.
Ocean fish hit on the surface while i was putting the DR out. Ive had this happen twice now in the 4 trips ive gone out. When the squid is back there for maybe 30 secs each time that leads me to believe fishing the surface could be productive. At least early morning.
Do any of you guys fish surface lures?
Im gonna give it a go for the rest of the month, first 30-45 min in the morning. Im a bass fisherman and there is a lure called the whopper plopper 90 that would be perfect for this. If youve never seen one, check out youtube. Im gonna try that and prob a squid/hi fly all by itself. Watched some vids on YouTube with guys using small hoochie spinners with a light weight, may try that too. Any other thoughts?

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Id like to thank all you guys that gave me info back in mid august. Really cut the learning curve down. Still fine tuning, but you guys gave me a great foundation

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
retired11 wrote:I know it's not facebook, the block me comment was some humor..... Bottom line, I have check the latest reports and I'm still not seeing your report... This brings up another which is how many other reports are not showing up..... I probably check the latest report page a couple times a day..... BTW I don't even use facebook....
you don't see this under "Latest Reports"?

reports.jpg
Yes Mike, I see those reports.... What I don't see is your report from your post on Aug 29th....

#243214 by Mike Carey
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:57 pm
just posted a nice Area 10 report, definitely ocean run fish and looking good. Fingers crossed for another great season!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:36 pm

oh, I understand. I was using the "just posted..." in the Admin role, not me personally fishing. My bad English...

ptfletcher
Petty Officer

Post by ptfletcher » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:27 pm

I have been out with BARCHASER twice this week. Limits both times. Mostly hatchery fish. Tuesday we hooked the last fish at 8 AM. Today (Thursday) we limited by 10 AM. Gary asked me to post some pics from both days.
Attachments
gary 9-6 first fish.jpg
two in the box.jpg
9-6 first fish.jpg

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks for the report and tell Gray Hi.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:53 pm

I've been fishing for Silvers in Puget Sound since I moved here in 1980. I've never seen this many fish this early. I don't usually get ocean silvers until 9/5 or so. But we started fishing for Silvers last week on Tuesday we got 3, Thurs we got 2 but this week it exploded, 3 day limits for two guys. None of those were locals either. The average is 6-7 pounds. I've had my boat out 5 times with two rods and we have 17 Silvers in the boat including the 10 1/2 pounder above.

But I also heard at the Marina that the tribes have their gill nets in at the Oil Docks today.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:12 pm

BARCHASER wrote:I've been fishing for Silvers in Puget Sound since I moved here in 1980. I've never seen this many fish this early. I don't usually get ocean silvers until 9/5 or so. But we started fishing for Silvers last week on Tuesday we got 3, Thurs we got 2 but this week it exploded, 3 day limits for two guys. None of those were locals either. The average is 6-7 pounds. I've had my boat out 5 times with two rods and we have 17 Silvers in the boat including the 10 1/2 pounder above.

But I also heard at the Marina that the tribes have their gill nets in at the Oil Docks today.
Nice start to your season! There was one gillnetter out Thursday. I didn't see any today, Friday.