Downriggers and Shakers

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
obrien73
Angler

Downriggers and Shakers

Post by obrien73 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:50 pm

I am new to using downriggers and could use some advice. We have been catching a lot of shakers this year and it has me wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Trolling speed has been between 3 and 4 MPH
We have been starting in about 80' of water and moving out as the day progresses.
Cable length has depended on bait and time of day, but generally speaking we run no less than 40' of cable and no more than 80'.

Curious if there are any strategies or solutions or if it is just a luck of the draw thing.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Downriggers and Shakers

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 pm

I am assuming you are talking about fishing Coho? Shakers just come with territory. Just realize you need to check your gear regularly. If I am noticing a lot of shakers, then I am SUPER attentive to watching the rod tip vibration. Another words, if I see my normal rhythm on the tip, and at some point notice a slightly changed/uneven rhythm.... then that is time that I make a gear check.

That shaker gets one hit on your rig, and then only a short bit of head shakes before it is dead... and if you miss that little show of activity, then you are dragging a dead shaker and not actually fishing.
Some days it is a lot of shakers, other days less.

Guitarfish
Petty Officer

Post by Guitarfish » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Agree with The Quadfather. Case in point, I was out at Shilshole yesterday and saw an ever-so-slight nudge on the rod, didn't pay attention to it. About 20 minutes later my buddy's rod goes off and it's a nice coho. It started coming over to my side, so I decided to pull my line in so it didn't get tangled with his fish, and low and behold, I was towing the darn shaker around that whole time. At the end of the morning, he put 2 in the boat and I got none - I chalk it up to him having 20 more minutes of effective fishing time than me, haha. So lesson learned - when in doubt, check it.

That said, I haven't seen near as many this year as last year. Not sure if there are just plain less shakers this year, or if it's because I used spoons a lot more last year and I have been using Ace Hi-flies/hootchies a lot more this year. Seemed to get a lot more shakers on the spoons. Just my experience though, not sure if that's true across the board.

obrien73
Angler

Post by obrien73 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:10 pm

We are pretty good about checking our gear regularly. If the attitude of the rod tip changes in the slightest bit we reel them in and check our gear. It sounds like we are doing the right things and just need to wait it out.

They hit all of our gear yesterday. Hoochies with an Ace Hi Fly inserts, Spoons, Plug Cut herring, Brads Super Bait. They hit it all. We had several doubles. Pretty much nonstop action for a solid hour. The good news is that my wife and 6 year old son had a blast.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Always good when the family is enjoying the day on the water!