Rockfish in Puget Sound

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
No_Regerts
Angler

Rockfish in Puget Sound

Post by No_Regerts » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:02 pm

Does anyone think WDFW will ever reopen puget sound for rockfish? I launched out of point defiance and tried to pick up a few flounder for dinner after having no luck salmon fishing. Ended up catching and releasing a bunch of rockfish. We tried moving all over the place and never got away from them. We quit fishing just to avoid catching them. All were caught on flat bottoms in 40-70 FOW. Maybe they are spawning?

stillnofish
Angler

Re: Rockfish in Puget Sound

Post by stillnofish » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:00 am

You can keep some species of rock fish in area 5, which is technically part of Puget Sound...

But I doubt area 11 will open for rockfish anytime soon. I caught and released many copper rockfish in the are between Tacoma, Vashon Island, and Gig Harbor; but they were always very small. Never seen any big rock fish in south sound.