Point No Point Public Launch?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rseas
Commander

Point No Point Public Launch?

Post by rseas » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:03 am

A great resource if you have been wondering about the status of the new launch at PNP. https://pointnopointramp.com/

Some of my first memories of salt water fishing were riding the rails as our rental skiff rumbled down the tracks at PNP Resort. Our family proudly owned a 10 hp Johnson outboard that we used on rental skiffs that were available at the time from boat houses around Puget Sound.

The day before the trip my dad would slide a galvanized garbage can under our trusty motor, fill it with water and fire up our smokey friend. Once running he would fiddle with the carborator jets to assure it was purring like a kitten (kittens were much crankier back in the 60s...). Satisfied that it would not leave us stranded it went in the trunk along with a beat up old red gas can.

Outboard, fishing gear and herring packed in sawdust tucked away in the car we would head for an afternoon ferry out of Edmonds and either sleep in the car or on special occasions one of the PNP cabins so we would be one of the first skiffs to slide down the rails.

Those were the magical days of fishing Puget Sound. Completely independent from the outstanding fisheries the was something comforting about fishing out of the many rental skiff that were available. Sadly an era long behind us.

Today I/we probably catch more than our share of salmon, maybe even more than our family caught out of the rental skiff fleet. But fish or no fish, the intrigue and excitement of riding those rails is what hooked me for life, made me a fisherman.

I was living in a different part of the country when I heard that PNP Resort closed, almost broke my heart but I was excited to hear that the WDFW had bought the property. The link and associated letters above were kind of an eye opener. It is unfortunate that the average sportsman and resort owners are forgotten...

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Re: Point No Point Public Launch?

Post by hlindsay » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:20 am

All I see is a picture of the parking lot and where the launch will be. It says
"THE WDFW REPLACEMENT RAMP AT POINT NO POINT
This site is to provide you with information about the US Army Corps permitting for the replacement ramp at Point No Point"

am I missing something?
I have been watching and waiting for them to proceed on this for a long time. In Dec. of 2016 there was an article in the Kitsap sun about it and some time after that I drove up there to see what they had done. What I saw was what is in the picture. I think that was maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I look every once and awile but have not seen much action on it. I would like to see it finished but and not holding my breath. I think it well be quite awhile before it happens.
I too have good memories of using that track ramp with a rental or a boat of a friend.