Pile Perch Fishing. My Simple Trick

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lizard Face
Angler

Pile Perch Fishing. My Simple Trick

Post by Lizard Face » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:06 pm

I've not done this for years, but have caught some hefty pile perch in the past. I'll make this short and sweet, and give you an easy technique on how to entice these tasty fish into biting. Forget the pile worms or sand worms. Gather small crabs under rocks on the shoreline, using none any larger than the size of your small fingernail. I use light line, and use a hook just large enough to hook the crab. Using no weight, strip out line and allow the crab to float down along the piling with it's own weight. This gives it a natural appearance. Allow the crab to move around with the current off the bottom.
If there are perch, they'll bite. I've had great success from a small boat tied to a piling, of from a pier. Give it a try. :)

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Re: Pile Perch Fishing. My Simple Trick

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:38 pm

Lizard Face wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:06 pm
I've not done this for years, but have caught some hefty pile perch in the past. I'll make this short and sweet, and give you an easy technique on how to entice these tasty fish into biting. Forget the pile worms or sand worms. Gather small crabs under rocks on the shoreline, using none any larger than the size of your small fingernail. I use light line, and use a hook just large enough to hook the crab. Using no weight, strip out line and allow the crab to float down along the piling with it's own weight. This gives it a natural appearance. Allow the crab to move around with the current off the bottom.
If there are perch, they'll bite. I've had great success from a small boat tied to a piling, of from a pier. Give it a try. :)
That technique will certainly catch the pile perch. The problem is that it is illegal in WA state to harvest pile worms, sand worms, and those little beach crabs. They all fall under the "unclassified marine invertebrates" category, which are closed to harvest.