New to fishing in WA state! Question about lures.

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kwonkai234
Petty Officer

New to fishing in WA state! Question about lures.

Post by kwonkai234 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:52 pm

if a lure like a kastmaster comes with a treble hook, do we have to replace it with a single hook with the barb pinched off to be able to use it? and does that apply to every treble hook?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: New to fishing in WA state! Question about lures.

Post by Amx » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:10 pm

depends on the areas you're fishing in, and what specie you are fishing for. it can be confusing.
Tom.

Interests: living

kwonkai234
Petty Officer

Post by kwonkai234 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:27 pm

i think its marine areas 8-2 on the puget sounds. im not even sure if lures are used out here lol

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:43 pm

If you’re fishing for salmon in the any saltwater in WA hooks have to be single point and barbless.
Otherwise trebles are ok if not fishing salmon but all hooks have to be barbless in salt.
Personally, with the risk of catching rockfish that have to be released in PS, I stick with single point barbless even bottom fishing for flounder, greenling, etc...
Just personal preference, lures get used all the time around here and can be quite effective.
Good luck!

Outdoor Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Outdoor Gal » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:11 am

Large Kastmaster's are great but I'd recommend Herring Dodgers for the Sound. The barbs on single hooks must be pinched off. What area will you be fishing?
Last edited by Outdoor Gal on Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

kwonkai234
Petty Officer

Post by kwonkai234 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:49 pm

thank you for the advice!

kwonkai234
Petty Officer

Post by kwonkai234 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Outdoor Gal wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:11 am
Large Kastmaster's are great but I'd recommend Les Davis Herring Dodgers for the Sound. The barbs on any lure or hooks must be pinched off. What area will you be fishing?
im in the marysville area. the issue is i havent fished in WA state yet. i grew up in hawaii fishing the shore there but i have no idea on how to fish saltwater here. i was debating on going flat fish or flounder fishing somewhere on 8-2. or someone saud edmonds is a good place to start.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:34 pm

Have fished a lot here, a few times in Hawaii.
Lot more regs and you have to have a license for saltwater here (except this weekend which is a free fishing weekend).
Flounder are a good place to start. Pretty liberal regs for those guys. Have only used left over salmon bait to fish for them but they’re aggressive and would probably hit lures. Small spoons or curly tail grubs should work.

Outdoor Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Outdoor Gal » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 am

You're welcome Kwonkai234. I know some great places to fish in this area whether it's 8-2 or freshwater lakes. Our outdoor group is planning a fishing camp out for 2-3 days next week. Early morning 8-2 fishing. There's a pier and a boat launch. You are welcome to be part of that. I can pm our link. Crabbing's not open yet but we're gearing up for the season. I'm wondering how we'll fare this year for crabbing. I sent a PM response. [cool]
kwonkai234 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:51 pm
Outdoor Gal wrote:
Large Kastmaster's are great but I'd recommend Herring Dodgers for the Sound. The barbs on hooks must be pinched off. What area will you be fishing?
im in the marysville area. the issue is i havent fished in WA state yet. i grew up in hawaii fishing the shore there but i have no idea on how to fish saltwater here. i was debating on going flat fish or flounder fishing somewhere on 8-2. or someone saud edmonds is a good place to start.

Speedbird 48
Petty Officer

Post by Speedbird 48 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:51 am

kwonkai234 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:51 pm
Outdoor Gal wrote:
Large Kastmaster's are great but I'd recommend Les Davis Herring Dodgers for the Sound. The barbs on any lure or hooks must be pinched off. What area will you be fishing?
If you like catch and release, most spots on the sound offer a decent chance of hooking a Sea Run Cutthroat using spinners or casting spoons. South Sound is better for this though. Look for pebbles. Please take good care of the fish. Never touch them with dry hands, use a knotless net, keep them in the water. They are a lot of fun to catch on gear, and I am told more fun on the fly