First time saltwater fishing, what gear will work?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BastiColler
Angler

First time saltwater fishing, what gear will work?

Post by BastiColler » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:58 am

This weekend I’m going down to the New Jersey shore and was looking to maybe try out some fishing for new species. I really only have freshwater fishing gear and bait. I have a Daiwa Fuego (6’8” medium power/fast action with 8lb test) and a Daiwa Samurai (6’6” medium light with 8lb test as well).

Question is, am I able to use these to catch fish right off a dock or pier of some sort, most likely in the bay rather than off shore. Or so I need totally new set ups? I’d be able to pick up some recommended baits but may not be able to justify buying a new rod and reel set up due to the infrequent visits down the shore.

Thanks in advance.