How to find salmon in the sound

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Speedbird 48
Petty Officer

How to find salmon in the sound

Post by Speedbird 48 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:00 pm

I've been struggling to mark a single fish on the sound. I'm out trolling at what I think is jefferson head (I'm not sure what jefferson head is to be honest. I think it's the drop off between presidents and jeffersons point) and haven't marked a single fish. I've tried following terrain contours with luck. Fishing "the rips" found some bait, but I quickly realized that a lot of what I thought was "tide rips" was just wake from other boats. How do you actually find fish on the sound? Most of the "tutorials" on YouTube are really just vlogs in disguise with no useful information, and while john martinis book is valuable, it hasn't caught me any fish. Many of you have given me great advice, Maltby in particular, however I'm really struggling to apply it, partially by not understanding certain marine terms. Thanks in advance

rseas
Commander

Re: How to find salmon in the sound

Post by rseas » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:36 pm

A very open-ended request. We would all love to help but need more info. What kind of fishfinder, boat and gear do you have? I assume you are fishing MA 10 for coho. You can get the resident coho mooching but they are primarily downrigger show.

Are you looking for help setting up your fishfinder or looking for information on catching resident coho?

Speedbird 48
Petty Officer

Post by Speedbird 48 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:30 am

rseas wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:36 pm
A very open-ended request. We would all love to help but need more info. What kind of fishfinder, boat and gear do you have? I assume you are fishing MA 10 for coho. You can get the resident coho mooching but they are primarily downrigger show.

Are you looking for help setting up your fishfinder or looking for information on catching resident coho?
You are 100% right, sorry for not being more specific. I have a GPS440 and a Bayliner Cierra 2355. That day I was in MA10 looking for Resi Coho, but I am hoping to hit the Tulalip Bubble for Chinook this weekend. I have two downriggers, and I mostly troll, but unless it would put me at substantial disadvantage, I much more enjoy drift mooching.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:55 pm

The Bubble is an interesting fishery. With the infestation of lion's mane jelly fish I wouldn't worry about identifying fish on the meter so much. The jellyfish look just like a chinook on most fish finders.

When I am fishing the Bubble I run the gear anywhere between 40-60' and fish almost anywhere with in the boundary. It seems that the area adjacent to the mouth of the bay has been consistently producing fish this year.

It is a simple fishery, pretty much a flasher and spoon show. 20', clip to flasher then 42-46" flasher to spoon. Day to day color will vary but you can't go wrong with a cookies n cream or a white lightning spoon.

Hit it early and good luck out there!

bluebiller
Petty Officer

Post by bluebiller » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:32 pm

Anyone ever fish from shore for salmon at Birch Point, Birch Bay Campground, or Point Whitehorn? Located in Area 7 close to Blaine and NW of Bellingham.
I'm camping this w/e there any wondering if salmon fishing from shore at High Tide is any good. Any info, appreciated! Thanks.
bluebiller
Kent, WA
"fish-on"

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:15 pm

Sorry to be the one but under an emergency regulation the area is closed to all salmon fishing.