critter cove.

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mics
Petty Officer

critter cove.

Post by mics » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:02 pm

just got a call from a friend,one of his party had to cxl out on a bc fishing trip to critter cove.asked if i was interested,well yes i am,so on july 22-27 i will be at critter cove.i have fish bamfield like its my second home,but have never been to critter cove.i m told we have to leave the truck and trailers at some goverment dock and its a 18 mile juorney up river to critter cove.place looks like a nice place from the pictures online.the question is,has anybody here ever fish the place and how was your trip.the good and the bad.heard the wind going up river can be a bear?anybody?
try to leave a place in better shape than when you got there

wolverine
Captain

RE:critter cove.

Post by wolverine » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:44 pm

Been there, done that.

It's definitely a late July to Labor day fishery. To get there you drive up the island to Campbell River and hang a left on hwy 28 to the burg of Gold River. From there it is an 18 mile salt water run to Critter. You can also drive around the inlets to the Cougar Creek campground from Gold River. The roads a logging road, and its gravel. No different than the road to Bamfield. Some trips its pretty good, other times its an axle breaker. I've stayed at Cougar twice but the campground can get pretty stinky from fish carcasses, but its ok for a fish camp. A lot of people spend the entire season there.
Hopefully the fish are in Tlupanna Inlet when you're there. If not its a good run out to the mouth of Nootka to the open ocean. Lots of fish in the 20's and 30's.
Life's short - fish hard!

mics
Petty Officer

RE:critter cove.

Post by mics » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:20 pm

hey wolverine,thanks for the reply.i been ready the bc reports and thought maybe the 2 gravel roads were about the same.but we going to put in at gold cove and run out to critter.so it should be a great sight seeing trip also.
try to leave a place in better shape than when you got there