Downrigger release for spectra lines?

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
Larry3215
Admiral

Downrigger release for spectra lines?

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:51 pm

My brothers and I switched over to braided spectra/spider wire type lines for salmon fishing in the sound a few years back. We mostly use 30#-40#. Since the change, we have had lots of trouble with our downrigger releases not working well with this line because its so slippery.

We had been using the clamp type with the rubber pads but they just dont grip the line well at all and we get too many early releases. We tried the kind that have a plastic plug that pushes into a plastic socket, but they seem to difficult to get a consistent release. We seem to push the plug in too far or not far enough. Plus the little keeper for the plug breaks and we loose the plugs.

What do you guys recommend for a release when using spectra lines?

Thanks,

Larry

gfakkema
Commander

Re: Downrigger release for spectra lines?

Post by gfakkema » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:56 am

gfakkema wrote:Wrap the line around a toothpick 5 or 6 times and then put into the normal clothes pin or clamp climps. I didn't want to mess with all of that so I just put on a 30' top shot of mono. Never had a problem with it.

Agreed! Most of the guys that have have learned from all use a top shot of 30 ft mono or fl carbon and only stick that in the release. You get an accurate/constant set back and with the braid you get less drag and bow in the line making it faster to get the tension back on the fish. Plus when braid cuts through a jelly fish it wont stick in the release.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:27 am

I just double up the line, twist it a five to ten times, stuff it into the Scotty clip, give it a squeeze and have no problems.

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:13 am

check out , on youtube, the video, on the chamberlain release, looks easy to use, and should work good. Also the Blacks release works similar, and is sold at Cabelas. Think I will try one of them...........

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:56 am

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:28 am

thats what I like about the Chamberlain release, it does not matter what type of line or the weight of it, all the same, releases are very simple

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:51 am

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Yes, they have a magnet for the adj, once you have the air gap set it stays the same, don't have mine yet, they are in the mail............

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks guys!

We will give the tooth pick and wrap techniques a try. Those both sound like they would be good easy solutions.

I am very interested in the Chamberlain releases though. If they work like the video says, they should be awesome. Im planning to get one of those to test out.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:41 pm

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:41 pm

I seem to recall someone in the past mentioned using a bit of paper towel or tissue wrapped around the line to make the clip hold better.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:40 pm

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Thats a good point about the mono top shot. On the other hand, we are using all braided lines except on our lighter bass/trout fishing rigs.

The one thing that really appeals to me about the Chamberlain releases is the ability to really tighten up the line between the pole and the clip and still be able to have a light release setting - or at least a separately adjustable release setting. That seems like it would be a very nice feature to have. Im still going to get one of the Chamberlain releases to test out. We can add the mono top shots on the other poles for now.

Thanks again!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:37 pm

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Walker-D ... ne-Release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above link is for the release that I bought via Cabelas. I purchased this release specifically for braided line, as I have futzed with the same issues you are talking about. I didn't want to run long length of mono/fluro, etc. on the braid. That's just my own feelings. Yes, there is all the wrap around X amount of times, and stick a tooth pick and paper towels in there, etc.
But this is the release that I have chosen.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:30 pm

I order one of those non-stacking Chamberlain releases last Friday the 28th and it arrived today 1 Apr. Pretty fast turn around!

Turns out its cheaper to order direct from Chamberlain. The Ebay and other dealers ended up costing more by the time you included shipping. Cost was $21 shipped.

http://www.downriggerrelease.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a nice piece of gear. I played with the release tension settings a bit trying different sinkers to test the release tension and it seems to be in the ballpark for what they claim. Very easy to adjust.

We are going out to Possession bar tomorrow so I will have a first hand report soon.... a good one I hope!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:11 pm

I just use plane ole Scotty clips with braid. I never seem to have any problems. Make sure you have clip set to the tight position, put the line all the way in the back and use a little finesse. If ya ham fist it and yank it all over, sure it comes out. Just be smart about it.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:55 pm

The Chamberlain release works as advertised. I was able to set it for a fairly easy release tug and still able to really tighten up the line between the pole and the release a lot more than I normally can.

So far, I like it a lot!

There is one down side - we didnt catch any fish!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:13 am

Thought Id give an update on my experience with the Chamberlain release. I hadn't used it since late last year. It just sat in my tool box for about 7 months or so after the last time we went salmon fishing. I went to get it out to use it and discovered it had died a horrible death! Something inside of it rusted badly and swelled up and split the plastic housing apart in two places. It was totally ruined. I couldnt tell for sure but it looked like it was probably the magnet that rusted.

I had only used the darn thing two times in the salt and then left it sitting over the winter. To be fair, I did NOT rinse it in fresh water after using it. It was rated for salt water use so I didnt think I would/should need to do that.

I was so pissed off that I tossed it over board. I am wishing now that I had taken pics and sent them to the MFG to see what they had to say about it.

I really really liked the way it worked, but I wont be buying any more.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:20 pm

I wrote the MFG and this is what he sent back to me. It looks like you must rinse them after saltwater use or the magnets can corrode. However, it doesnt say anything about that in the documentation. I have to give them some credit for replying to me so quickly, but Im still not happy. These would make great freshwater releases, but I dont do that much fresh water downrigger fishing. I probably would have taken a replacement and kept it for our occasional laker trip, but he didnt offer any kind of compensation.
Hi Larry,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. The releases is assembled with high quality stainless steel parts, except for the magnet. It is triple nickel coated.

Other salt Walter fishermen I have talked to say they make sure to rinse all,of the gear thoroughly to avoid corrosion. I haven't had anyone tell me they have had a problem when they do this.

We certainly understand why you would not want to purchase equipment that you are not confident using.

Thanks for contacting me.

Best of luck!

Keith Chamberlain
Chamberlain Release
802-427-3201
842 Calendar Brook Rd.
Burke, VT 05851

On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:12 PM, <[email protected]> <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi folks,

My name is Larry Dunn.

I purchased one of your original releases on 28 Mar 2014. I used it in salt water two or three times last year, then didn’t get a chance to go salmon fishing again until late this summer. When I finally got a chance to go salmon fishing again, I found the release in my tackle box had broken apart due to some sort of corrosion buildup inside the release. The plastic housing had broken into several pieces because something inside had corroded into a whitish powder and it had expanded and forced the plastic apart breaking it into pieces. Unfortunately, in a fit of anger, I tossed the whole thing over board.

I realized immediately that was a mistake. I should have taken some pictures or saved it to return to you so you could see what happened for future reference, product improvement, etc..

I also cant find my receipt, so I have nothing to base a warranty claim on. I’m not at all sure I even want a replacement as it doesn’t seem at all suitable for salt water use, which is 90% of my downrigger fishing. I have to say I am very disappointed. The release worked really well before it corroded. I was all set to order some more because it seemed to be superior to any other releases I have used in the past.

Sincerely,

Larry Dunn