Shower curtain downriger stacker/slide?

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
Larry3215
Admiral

Shower curtain downriger stacker/slide?

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:18 pm

I just read a report from Mike where he talked about using shower curtain rings to stack clips on a downrigger.

Ive read it a few times but I just cant picture what exact parts he is using and how it gets set up.

Anyone have any details, pics etc?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Shower curtain downriger stacker/slide?

Post by Toni » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:30 am

he did a video
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:39 am

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:31 am

Thanks Toni !

I had missed that one somehow.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:41 am

Killer system for kokanee, super easy.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:20 pm

I probably didnt watch it originally because I dont fish for kokanee :)

I dont think it will work for me salmon fishing. I suspect the deeper depths and faster trolling speeds wont let the clip go down unless you add a LOT more weight.

Its a very cool idea though!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:45 pm

I haven't tried it trolling Puget Sound for coho, and I do agree with you that it likely wouldn't work due to the fast trolling speeds. I will give it a try next time coho are open.

I used the system on lake Wenatchee sockeye and it worked great. I did increase my drop weights to 5-6 oz to compensate for the greater depth and bigger dodgers. I was running them down to 75-90 feet with the stationary deeper release at around 85-105 feet, generally a 10-20 foot separation.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:58 pm

If it worked for sockeye with those weights then it should work for coho I would think. How fast do you troll for sockeye?

Maybe go up to 8oz weights?

Kings might be a different story, but it might be worth trying.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:22 pm

sockeye up to 1.5 with the wind and no premature releases. But coho would be 3.3-3.5mph, definitely need more weight.

Jetcraft Jim
Angler

Post by Jetcraft Jim » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:22 pm

There are many seasoned Kokeheads that know of this technique but decide it's just too much to remember or too much guesswork involved.
I have used this tech tip on Merwin also when fishing by myself. I did tire of it in my early stages of newbe stacking but it's cheaper to stack than buy 2 more DR's fishing two people. I must admit I did pick up another MAG 10 the other day and have yet to build a transom DR bracket for it.

Another reason it is not widely used is that most lakes have trout & kokes and if you want to target the Kokes at a certain depth so there is no really good reason to stack.
When the FF alert chirps I look to see where the fish are then I drop the DR ball down at that depth (say 50') with an 8# ball I know that trolling approx. .9 -1.4 MPH that the ball is about 2 feet shallower than my FF depth so the fish can see my offereing. Remember that fish can't look downward too well, if at all, so I always want to be a few feet above them.
WE MUST REJECT THE IDEA THAT EVERY TIME A LAW IS BROKEN, SOCIETY IS GUILTY RATHER THAN THE LAWBREAKER.
IT IS TIME TO RESTORE THE AMERICAN PRECEPT THAT EACH INDIVIDUAL IS ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS OWN ACTIONS. Guess

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:47 am

Jetcraft Jim wrote:Remember that fish can't look downward too well, if at all, so I always want to be a few feet above them.
This is what I remember being told and now that I use the Water Wolf camera I know it isn't true.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:52 am

Toni wrote:
Jetcraft Jim wrote:Remember that fish can't look downward too well, if at all, so I always want to be a few feet above them.
This is what I remember being told and now that I use the Water Wolf camera I know it isn't true.
I agree Toni, my underwater video footage tells me the same thing. The fish are using more than just vision when targeting our gear. The lateral lines have a lot to do with it. These fish are constantly moving up and down in the water column. The real challenge, as you know from watching underwater footage, is what triggers a fish to bite. Cause they will follow gear for long periods of time and then strike.

JJ, I'll have to disagree with your synopsis. Caught too many kokanee on the stacker rods to feel it's a wasted effort. And it's about as easy and versatile a system as I've found for stacking. The majority of guys aren't going to have four downriggers off the back of their boats.

To each their own.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:16 am

Toni wrote:
Fish don't need to see your lure to know it's there, if it is right under them they'll sense it with their lateral line. Plus if your lure isn't directly underneath them, they'll see it just fine as their peripheral vison is quite good. During the summer months I skim the bottom of lake Washington for trout, much the same way one would for winter blackmouth in the Sound, and do very well.

I use the shower curtain holders to run my clips out to the planer board and have tried the them for stacking on downriggers as well. If you are concerned with how much weight you'll need at a fast troll, you can reduce your boat speed while letting down the rig. Once it is where you want it, bring the speed back up and it will pretty much stay put due to the bow in the line.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:23 am

thanks, nice tip!

Jetcraft Jim
Angler

Post by Jetcraft Jim » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
Toni wrote:
I agree Toni, my underwater video footage tells me the same thing. The fish are using more than just vision when targeting our gear. The lateral lines have a lot to do with it. These fish are constantly moving up and down in the water column. The real challenge, as you know from watching underwater footage, is what triggers a fish to bite. Cause they will follow gear for long periods of time and then strike.

JJ, I'll have to disagree with your synopsis. Caught too many kokanee on the stacker rods to feel it's a wasted effort. And it's about as easy and versatile a system as I've found for stacking. The majority of guys aren't going to have four downriggers off the back of their boats.

To each their own.
Hey, It works for me and that's all that matters.
Tight lines.
WE MUST REJECT THE IDEA THAT EVERY TIME A LAW IS BROKEN, SOCIETY IS GUILTY RATHER THAN THE LAWBREAKER.
IT IS TIME TO RESTORE THE AMERICAN PRECEPT THAT EACH INDIVIDUAL IS ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS OWN ACTIONS. Guess

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:10 pm

No worries, tight lines!