store for the tier's

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
panfisher
Captain

store for the tier's

Post by panfisher » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:19 pm

went to gary's flyshop/fairbanks inc, (yakima) and had gary put some micro jigs in stock. he has a great supply of all the stuff tier's would need for flie's and now for jigs. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

lskiles
Commander

RE:store for the tier's

Post by lskiles » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:27 am

I went to the "Greased Line" here in Vancouver, USA and was surprised at the fact that the prices were comparable to Sportsman's and I thought I was going to get a snooty attitude about the fact that I was tying jigs and not flies, but I got a great reception from the owner and a lot of very helpful advice for the newbie.

I went back and bought some deer hair and flashy stuff and the owner was not there. The fellow who was working told me to come back on Monday after work and he will have all his stuff set-up and he can show me some tricks and tips.

I am hooked on this place. Too bad they only open until 6:00 Mon-Sat...well maybe that is a good thing because I would spend too much time there LOL.

One thing that the guy told me, as I told him I was on a small budget, was to go to the sportsman's show and find the taxidermy booths and I can buy big bags of deer and elk hair/hide for like $3. They will not be dyed, but I may be able to figure out how to dye it.

Does anyone use "road kill" squirrel tails...just a thought.

If you live anywhere in or near Clark County this is the place to go! http://www.greasedline.com/
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:37 am

lskiles wrote:I went to the "Greased Line" here in Vancouver, USA and was surprized at the fact that the prices were comparable to Sportsman's and I thought I was going to get a snooty attitude about the fact that I was tying jigs and not flies, but I got a great reception from the owner and a lot of very helpful advice for the newbie.

I went back and bought some deer hair and flashy stuff and the owner was not there. The fellow who was working told me to come back on Monday after work and he will have all his stuff set-up and he can show me some tricks and tips.

I am hooked on this place. Too bad they only open til 6:00 Mon-Sat...well maybe that is a good thing because I would spend too much time there LOL.

One thing that the guy told me, as I told him I was on a small budget, was to go to the sportsman's show and find the taxidermy booths and I can buy big bags or deer and elk hair/hide for like $3. They will not be dyed, but I may be able to figure out how to dye it.

Does anyone use "roadkill" squirlle tails...just a thought.

If you live anywhere in or near Clark County this is the place to go! http://www.greasedline.com/
Roadkill is not a good source of materials for several reasons. It is often contaminated with "road smell" from motor oil and rubber dust. Fleas, ticks, larvae etc are also very undesireable.

If you do decide to give roadkill a try, make sure it is stored seperately from your other materials to prevent cross-contamination.

It is also a bad idea to pick up feathers that you find on the ground. If a game warden catches you with them and they came from a protected species, you have no way of proving that you just found them. For all he knows, you killed the bird and plucked the feathers.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:46 am

HillbillyGeek wrote:It is also a bad idea to pick up feathers that you find on the ground. If a game warden catches you with them and they came from a protected species, you have no way of proving that you just found them. For all he knows, you killed the bird and plucked the feathers. [/size]
When I was a teen-ager I made jewelry for a while and I was making those wire-loop ear-rings and I went to the zoo in Spokane and the eagles they had were molting alot and I picked up the feathers on the ground out-side the cages and made some real groovy pieces with them...then I was told I could go to prison for ever having them. Learned a lesson, tossed them.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:30 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:
lskiles wrote:I went to the "Greased Line" here in Vancouver, USA and was surprized at the fact that the prices were comparable to Sportsman's and I thought I was going to get a snooty attitude about the fact that I was tying jigs and not flies, but I got a great reception from the owner and a lot of very helpful advice for the newbie.

I am hooked on this place. Too bad they only open til 6:00 Mon-Sat...well maybe that is a good thing because I would spend too much time there LOL.

One thing that the guy told me, as I told him I was on a small budget, was to go to the sportsman's show and find the taxidermy booths and I can buy big bags or deer and elk hair/hide for like $3. They will not be dyed, but I may be able to figure out how to dye it.

Does anyone use "roadkill" squirlle tails...just a thought.

Roadkill is not a good source of materials for several reasons. It is often contaminated with "road smell" from motor oil and rubber dust. Fleas, ticks, larvae etc are also very undesireable.

If you do decide to give roadkill a try, make sure it is stored seperately from your other materials to prevent cross-contamination.

It is also a bad idea to pick up feathers that you find on the ground. If a game warden catches you with them and they came from a protected species, you have no way of proving that you just found them. For all he knows, you killed the bird and plucked the feathers.
I've used roadkill a few times.:thumleft:Also another source I use sometimes is my local butcher who proceses wild game.If the hunter doesn't want the hide he gives me a call and I drop him a few dollars.I cure all the hides and road findings myself.Its not too hard.But the majority of my materials come from stores.Its not for everyone but hey it cuts down on alot of expense.Especialy when I get it from the Butchers shop.I also used the Deer hide for leather working and other things that get sold on ebay.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:39 pm

panfisher wrote:went to gary's flyshop/fairbanks inc, (yakima) and had gary put some micro jigs in stock. he has a great supply of all the stuff tier's would need for flie's and now for jigs.
Hey panfisher,

when you use the jigs do you cut off the lead that follows up the shank of the hook, or just tie over it?

I have been cutting it off just for ease of tying, but I am afraid of nicking the hook with the cutters.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:16 pm

iskiles: depends if i want a heavier jig for the size, i do cut it off if thats all i have at the time, you should ask "greased line" if they would stock some ball jigs for you (painted or unpainted or maybe you could see if "hillbillygeek" makes them for others???? i've been buying mine from cabela's (hopefully they will be here in yakima soon) but gary's fly shop will start stocking them at my request. i like a slower falling jig, so i'll file down the leaded head on bigger jigs. i'm mainly a shore fisherman so i don't need to use heavy jigs to get down to the fish in deeper water! that may change this year though:cheers: but i will most likely still fish the shore covers!

i do use road kill but it has to be fresh, funny story about a racoon that i got a tail from. it was 3 yrs ago and a fresh kill and when i stopped another car pulled up aways from me eyeballing it to, i took the tail and left but came back 10mn later to see if they took the rest and it was gone. i'm sure it became a meal that day!!! another good place for fur is estate sales, since very few people will wear real fur any more it sells very cheap i have alot of mink, fox, rabbit, and some other unknown stuff that i've been able to get for almost nothing, very high quality stuff. <')//<

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:35 pm

panfisher wrote:iskiles: depends if i want a heavier jig for the size, i do cut it off if thats all i have at the time, you should ask "greased line" if they would stock some ball jigs for you (painted or unpainted or maybe you could see if "hillbillygeek" makes them for others???? i've been buying mine from cabela's (hopefully they will be here in yakima soon) but gary's fly shop will start stocking them at my request. i like a slower falling jig, so i'll file down the leaded head on bigger jigs. i'm mainly a shore fisherman so i don't need to use heavy jigs to get down to the fish in deeper water! that may change this year though:cheers: but i will most likely still fish the shore covers!

i do use road kill but it has to be fresh, funny story about a racoon that i got a tail from. it was 3 yrs ago and a fresh kill and when i stopped another car pulled up aways from me eyeballing it to, i took the tail and left but came back 10mn later to see if they took the rest and it was gone. i'm sure it became a meal that day!!! another good place for fur is estate sales, since very few people will wear real fur any more it sells very cheap i have alot of mink, fox, rabbit, and some other unknown stuff that i've been able to get for almost nothing, very high quality stuff. <')//<
If you will pay for the hooks + shipping, I'll pour them for ya -- no charge. I've got lots of lead, and it doesn't take very long. I can do 1/4 & 1/8 oz round heads with or without collars. 1/16 oz, no collar only.
Oh yeah, I can also do 1/8 & 1/16 oz shad darts.
If you're interested, send a private msg and we'll go from there.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:12 am

panfisher wrote:iskiles: depends if i want a heavier jig for the size, i do cut it off if thats all i have at the time, you should ask "greased line" if they would stock some ball jigs for you (painted or unpainted or maybe you could see if "hillbillygeek" makes them for others???? i've been buying mine from cabela's (hopefully they will be here in yakima soon) but gary's fly shop will start stocking them at my request. i like a slower falling jig, so i'll file down the leaded head on bigger jigs. i'm mainly a shore fisherman so i don't need to use heavy jigs to get down to the fish in deeper water! that may change this year though:cheers: but i will most likely still fish the shore covers!

Thanks for the tip Panfisher I never thought about buying furs at a estate sel.Im gonna check out the second hand stores around my area this weekend for some now that I have a fresh lead.Once again thanks.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:43 pm

i have a good wardrobe going on the firs it does help that my wife works estate sales part time so i'll keep ya'll in mind. maybe there could be a hardware swap on the stuff we may have to much of?