Salmon setup question

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
unoeye
Angler

Salmon setup question

Post by unoeye » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:19 am

What am I doing wrong? people are catching fish all around me, I think I might have had a nibble on the bottom setup. Marine area 10, off Golden Gardens. I only have an electric motor and can troll about 2 mph.weight is 8oz. Going after anything that will bite.
Attachments
IMG_20190824_104536.jpg
IMG_20190824_104528.jpg
IMG_20190824_104517.jpg

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Salmon setup question

Post by BentRod » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:23 am

That’s a lot of drag on just an electric motor. Your best bet is probably that rotator style flasher on the bottom vs the other one.

Also, Coho prefer faster speeds, so you’ll be in the Kings/Pinks range, but Kings tend to run deep and are not open there anyway, so maybe change your terminal offering (if trolling) to a pink spoon or pink hoochie.

I’d suggest skipping the trolling and just mooch or jig. Sounds like you’re a little underpowered.

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:10 am

If you want to troll for pinks a dodger will likely have less drag than the flasher or continue with the inline flasher. White and pink are the standard colors though I'm sure others work as well. If you are using an inline, the lure will need some action, such as a spoon (I've caught the occasional coho on a cotton candy kingfisher) or a hoochie with the plastic wiggle head (whatever that is called). You don't want your lure that far back for pinks. 12-16 inches. Or as BentRod suggested, jig--similar to the shore fishery, buzz bobms, pink hoochie jigs or marabou jigs. Good luck!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:30 pm

agree with the above, for coho I'm cruising at 3.5 mph, life in the fast lane! The pinks you'd do just as well searching out schools of jumpers and casting jigs for them.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:30 am

Lendied wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:58 am
You are not right. I suggest it to discuss.

If you liked this posting and you would like to obtain far more facts relating to Which lottery is the highest right now or What states can you legally bet on sports kindly take a look at our own web-site
What does your reply have to do with Salmon setups???
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount