Baitcaster 101

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Baitcaster 101

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:43 am

This year I have gotten my first bait caster. I am in the process of getting more comfortable with it and am interested in what tips I can gather on its use. I seem to be able to cast side arm with lower instances of backlash the more I practice. But if I try and cast overhead the backlash gods rain fury down upon me. Any tips of the trade would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

dilbert
Captain

RE:Baitcaster 101

Post by dilbert » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:14 am

Your thumb is your friend
Set the reel spool tension for the weight of your lure
your thumb is your friend
Adjust the reel brakes

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/page7.html

Once you get a backlash.. Stop ton't touch it! tighten your drag all the way down. put your thumb on the spool and reel crank several revolutions. Now click the spool release and gently pull the line out towards the first eye on your rod. This will easily fix most backlashes.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:22 am

Dilbert ... thanks and great link. Quick question on the correcting the backlash ... what does the tightening of the drag do to help clear the backlash?
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:26 am

It makes the spool spin when you are thumbing it under pressure and cranking. Otherwise, the spool will just stay in one place as the drag does its thing.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 am

That makes sense now ... took a little bit for all the voices in my head to catch up ... laughs!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:41 am

dilbert wrote:Your thumb is your friend
Set the reel spool tension for the weight of your lure
Adjust the reel brakes

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/page7.html

Once you get a backlash.. Stop ton't touch it! tighten your drag all the way down. put your thumb on the spool and reel crank several revolutions. Now click the spool release and gently pull the line out towards the first eye on your rod. This will easily fix most backlashes.
I got my 1st baitcaster last spring, the above helped alot! Another thing somebody told me that made a far bigger difference than I ever thought it would (at least for me) for an overhead cast was to twist your wrist so that the spool is facing sideways, not up. Once I started doing it, my casts improved dramatically.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:43 am

Great bit of information. That would explain why my side arm casts are better than over hand. If I think about it when I cast side are the spool ends up sideways during the cast.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Ultimately, baitcaster use is a matter of timing. Oh ya, and did you get that part about your thumb is your friend.:-"
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:26 pm

I bought one last spring and promptly re-sold it in that spring's garage sale. For the life of me I couldn't cast without backlash. I did the thumb thing but probably didn't give it enough time to get a softer touch on it. With all of these tips, especially the side-arm tip, perhaps I would have gotten the hang of it.

Anyway... I'm back to my spincast setup (bass gods please spare my life, bait casters please spare me the tongue-lashing) and still catching fish. ;-)

Good luck to you, though!
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:32 pm

I think I also need to practice while sitting in my lawn chair. I am thinking of using it while in my float tube ... so the quick recovery from a backlash is an important tip. Being in the tube and doing a side armed cast is not always practicle either.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Adjusting that reel spool tension to the weight of the lure is a big thing. It seems for me, the lighter the weight I try to throw the more apt I am to backlash. I can throw a 1/4oz jig, but I try to throw an 1/8oz and #-o nearly every time.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:02 pm

I think if you're backlashing more on the overhand than side arm casts, you're probably releasing too early. Is your lure going straight up or rainbow-style? Try not to release until your fishing rod is pointed at about 10:30 or 11 o'clock.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:30 pm

[quote="Drewp"]I think if you're backlashing more on the overhand than side arm casts, you're probably releasing too early. Is your lure going straight up or rainbow-style? Try not to release until your fishing rod is pointed at about 10:30 or 11 o'clock.[/quote

right on drewp my thoughts exactly. just keep practicing your release point and you should have it down in no time at all. it took me awhile to get catch comfortable with the overhead cast.
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:35 pm

I will be working on it more ... thanks for all the tips!!!

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:18 pm

I got good casting a bait casterby throwing big 1 and sometimes 2 ounce weights on the Columbia river for cats and smallmouths. It actually was good practice, cause when throwing stuff that big you normally don't get the bird nests, and it help me with casting smaller stuff.
Now, i can cast pretty much anything easily with only a rare backlash.
And if you try the sling something over your head as hard as possible, your gonna get backlash no matter what. It makes the spool spin to fast from the start, and it automatically tangles. lol.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:06 pm

You'll enjoy the baitcaster. Bird nests will occur,it'll get much better after you get some practice.
I occasionally have issues if I throw a heavy bait(large crank or swimbait) and then switch to a lite weight such as a bucktail.
Just practice,you'll do fine

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:04 am

My first baitcaster was a Phluger Supreme.Then I graduated to the ABU Garcia Ambassadors.First with a 5000c then a 6000c.The ambassadors are nice because you can change from a southpaw to a righty very easily.I use a Shimano now because the faster retrieve.I remember fishing Allentown for salmon and steel using a Penn 9.
Almost all my gloves have the thumbs removed just because of using baitcasters.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Adjusting that reel spool tension to the weight of the lure is a big thing. It seems for me, the lighter the weight I try to throw the more apt I am to backlash. I can throw a 1/4oz jig, but I try to throw an 1/8oz and #-o nearly every time.
This makes a huge difference and also cuts down on Backlash,..depending on the weight of your bait your gonna have 2 adjust your tension,..after tying on your bait,..hold your pole at 11-12 o'clock and release your line,..ideally the bait should fall 2 the water and as soon as it hits the water the spool should stop feeding line,..if it dosen't stop then adjust it until it does,..with practice it'll become easier 2 do,..then the backlash will be few and far between,..also the more bearings {$$} the less likely 2 have backlash,..all my Baitcasters are at least 5 bearrings or more,..I learned the hard way purchasing the more inexspensive models and getting frustrated,..then BF taught me HOW 2 adjust quickly,..I do still use a Shimano Calisto wich is only 2 Bearrings and it works great! Keep at it BnG!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Just got my quantum pt tour edition left hand model in the mail and oh baby so smooth cant wait to break it in on saturday Maybe a BIG musky HAHA ever since i pitched BBD's at the picnic i was like holy that thing is nice but i didnt tell him that:-$
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:22 pm

SPARKY101 wrote:Just got my quantum pt tour edition left hand model in the mail and oh baby so smooth cant wait to break it in on saturday Maybe a BIG musky HAHA ever since i pitched BBD's at the picnic i was like holy that thing is nice but i didnt tell him that:-$
Nice SMKING,..I just picked up a nice Daiwa Lefthand 2,..I normally go with righthanded but I seen this and had 2 have it,..I must admit though it felt a bit uncomfortable at 1st till I acclimated again,..been using righthanded all season so now I have a lefty 2!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"