Downrigger weights?

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
Big D

Downrigger weights?

Post by Big D » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:05 am

Hello,
I'm in the process of outfitting out my new to me boat.
I recently priced out downriggers weights and found that the 10 pounders cost about $25.00 each. I figured I could make my own for a lot less than that. Problem is that the mold for a 10 pound downrigger weight is taller than the 4" of clearance of a standard Lee Pro or Lyman smelting pot.
MY QUESTION: What kind of set-up do I use to be able to get the weight mold underneath the pouring spout of the smelting pot?
Any and all opinions welcome.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Downrigger weights?

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:19 am

???????? the molds and smelting pots are totally seperate, why would the molds need to clear? Melt the lead pour it in the mold. I don't think I would buy a Lee smelting setup, $$$$$$ If you have a turkey fryer or a bad @$$ hot plate just go to a thrift store and secure a cast iron pot to smelt in. Next step, go to the tire store and get some old wheel weights. The wire bails are stainless welding rod..... If you don't melt enough to complete the pour, melt some more and puor it in. Finish them off with a few coats of tool dip. Now you're down about the right price! Make sure to use a 12# mold, that water at RW can move pretty fast and in Chelan the key word is Deeeeep.
When smelting, don't forget to do it outside. it's not worth the risk of heavy metal poisoning. Please wear an appropriate mask and eye protection.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Big D

Post by Big D » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:07 am

Hey Bodofish,
Thank you for your response.
I think you misunderstood my question.
I also think that a turkey fryer or a bad A** hot plate would be very dangerous and not the right tool for the job. I know that the molds and smelting pots are separate items. I will be purchasing several molds and a smelting pot very soon. One of the molds that I want to purchase is a 10 pound downrigger weight mold. The problem is that the downrigger weight mold is about 5 or 6 inches tall and will not fit underneath the pouring spout of a Lee Pro or Lyman smelting pot because the smelting pots only allows 4” of clearance underneath. I’m looking for a smelting pot that will hold 20 lbs. of lead and have more clearance so that I can safely poor the downrigger weights in a single poor. I really don’t want to go about this in a Mickey Mouse fashion because I see several downrigger weights for sale on eBay and I might even give weight sales a try....
Help to pay for the molds and smelting pot you know.
Thanks!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Big D

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:33 am

We just use a big cast iron pot on a turkey fryer burner. We've been doing it for years, learned in Jr High shop. We found a large pair of bent channel locks we use for controlling the smelt pot and lift it with the wire handle. It takes a bit of practice to handle the big pot but we can smelt a bunch of wheel weights at one time, pick out the clips and skim the crap off the top. We only have a single mold but we smelt enough to pour two or three weights at a time, we only pour 12# balls. Turkey fryer = Doing it outdoors. We use the cartridge type masks and purchased filters that are suposed to grab the lead vapor. Masks are just for mistakes, try to stay up wind, it will go through your skin too.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Big D

Post by Big D » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:14 pm

A little help here guys.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:03 pm

Playing with Lead in volume #-o :eye::eye: :cheese: :chef:
I will just say can up your cancer odds unless your set up for vapors/vents and more and have a Hazmat team waiting .
I would press e-bay many great deals to be had make sure when you buy them there (coated) and (12 lbers) if you fish the bay and ocean and big rivers , will not be impacted by the tides, winds and river flows and will hold your Presentation in the Bang zone!:cheers:
Attachments
Swede_bonics.jpg
Swede_bonics.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 11210 times

Big D

Post by Big D » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:22 pm

Thank you swedefish4life1,
Now I truly feel like a member of the WL.com family :cheers: I was hoping to hear from you someday soon.
That's what I'm starting to think. At this point it might just be cheaper in the long run to purchase the weights without going through the hassle of picking up the lead, molds, smelting pot and worrying about polluting myself or the neighborhood.
Thanks again!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:27 pm

14$$ bucks e-bay my glow paints of course , came coated fish killers 2nd to none!!!!
Thank You for asking:cheers:
Be safe I worked Hazmat for some time one mistake or breath can kill you without every safety measure taken!!:colors:
Really not worth the risk, time and efforts:eye:
Attachments
a27.jpg
a27.jpg (67.05 KiB) Viewed 11186 times

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:41 pm

however... if you do want to risk it, a method I've used with good success is to pour the lead into a 16-24oz tin soup can. You can get it to fit under the pour hole and then insert a u-shaped clothes hanger piece of wiring as you get to the top. After you are done pouring use a pliers and dunk the can into a pail of water.

I've done several this way and they work just fine. But, that was in my younger days when I was tight on cash and long on time. Now I'd just buy one.

It is a fun hobby to make jig molds out of plaster of paris, and then paint the jigs afterward.

But Swede is right, just buying them is most safe and practical.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:00 pm

I have cast Bullets for over 20 years, pay special attention to all the SAFETY tips listed here and DO NOT HAVE WATER NEAR THE POT!
A small amount of water can empty a 40lb. pot in a flash of hot lead!

If you can find a 20lb. pot , it will work good on an old coleman stove! I cast a LOT of bullets with the stove and made up a lot of bullet alloy also.
Where ever I go........There I am!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:30 pm

I concur Kokon...,
I might add if you have the equipment it can be very cost efective and fun. Buying a fancy smeltin setup, no. Colman stove, turkey fryer, plenty of heat to smelt. If you never plan on losing a DR ball then by all means I'd say buy 'em, good to go. Can of tool dip will coat a bunch of balls. Not such a big deal in fresh water as you're not making a battery out of the setup with out the salt water. Rufus =12# balls. I can honestly say I've never said I wish my downrigger balls were smaller

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:40 pm

I shoot a lot of cast bullets so I've melted my share of wheel weights.

Turkey burners work good for melting bulk lead but they do put out a rather large flame. I use them to make up the years worth of lead alloy I shoot. Usually I blend 45 pounds worth of stuff. I'm very, very careful around the turkey burner, because of the flame and also the 45 lbs of hot lead.

One usually only needs to worry about lead vapor in the air if the lead is heated up to above 750 degrees. It takes a while to get a pot of lead that hot. Turkey burners will do that in about 30 minutes. The electic lead pots usually top out around 750 degrees. One issue with the bottom pour pots is the lead doesn't come out fast enough to make a good looking downrigger ball. The best way to do downrigger balls is with either a Value Village steel pan or a cast iron dutch oven.

Wear a hat, safety glasses, long sleeved shirts for safety when pouring and don't eat or drink until after washing your hands and face.

Even though in the old days we used to melt lead on the kitchen stove it's best to do it outside or on a bench in the garage.

I don't make any downrigger balls but do cast up a bunch of jigs, sinkers and bottom walkers in addition to bullets.

Bill

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:12 pm

OK........... ONE MORE TIP........DONT DRAG YOUR BALLS!
Where ever I go........There I am!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:19 pm

well after reading this post i guess i need to upgrade my balls. I use 8 pound balls my penns are rated to goto 14lb.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Kokonuts wrote:OK........... ONE MORE TIP........DONT DRAG YOUR BALLS!
Bouncing balls on the bottom is KILLER for blackmouth/kings....It's very successful
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:39 pm

sickbayer wrote:well after reading this post i guess i need to upgrade my balls. I use 8 pound balls my penns are rated to goto 14lb.
yup, you definately need bigger balls. :-({|=

...there goes this thread.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:50 am

A9 wrote:
Kokonuts wrote:OK........... ONE MORE TIP........DONT DRAG YOUR BALLS!
Bouncing balls on the bottom is KILLER for blackmouth/kings....It's very successful
ditto on the above post.

I use 8 lbs balls in freshwater and 12 or 15 in salt. I use smaller ones in freshwater for a lower profile but they have some glitter on them for attraction.

ruslan
Angler

Post by ruslan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:39 am

buy a 10lb lee pot.Turn bottom plate 180 and screw it back on.that will give you more room in front.slide the production pot to the edge of the table and screw it to the table.you will have to build a separate stand for the downrigger mold,which is going to be lower then the table that the production pot sits on.The next problem is that the hole in the production pot is made for casting small weights.the hole is too small.so you would have to drill a bigger hole.Then you will have to cut the part that stops the pour, the thin part .you will have to remove the handle.bunch of rigging.Plan to make 8lb balls instead of 10lb.because you might run out of led when pouring.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:02 am

Holy hell, this is a 2 year old thread man!!!
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Matt wrote:Holy hell, this is a 2 year old thread man!!!

Yea, REALLY caught me off guard when I saw Swedes reply...