Ice Reports

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
YellowBear
Captain

RE:Ice Reports

Post by YellowBear » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:26 am

I drove by Sprague yesterday and saw 4 guys fishing the island on the west end.
Two were on the east side and the other two were fishing the west side.
I am going to take a drive into the seep lakes today and see how they are doing.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Fished El again today. A bit more ice actually, but it's supposed to get warm the next few days and rain. Ice was between 6-8 inches. Most was cloudy, but some clear further down.

Jay- Ya those guys were out there when I was too. The actually had most of the fish mentioned when I was there.

I have been using a horizontal jig about a size 12 in chartreuse with an "atomic nuggie" in green. That or a silver spoon type jig in a size 8 with a white nuggie for bass. They like this by the way...

Millers One Stop has maggots now. Of course all of them have already turned black. But they have them.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:30 pm

So, who's gonna go out this weekend? What's the best bet?

Eloika
Hog Canyon
Fourth of July
Sprague
Horseshoe
Banks

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:02 pm

well since I will be in Spokane all week working I wanted to give the whole Ice fishing a try I am curious as to where to go and or does anyone mind me tagging along I will be staying over this next friday and saturday then I will head back to Seattle area aka home.
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:27 pm

dicinu wrote:well since I will be in Spokane all week working I wanted to give the whole Ice fishing a try I am curious as to where to go and or does anyone mind me tagging along I will be staying over this next friday and saturday then I will head back to Seattle area aka home.
As in the 16th/ 17th? I will probably give it a shot one of those days.... not sure which, but it's supposed to get cold up there again and we'll have even better ice to hit.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:52 pm

aaron42ash wrote:
dicinu wrote:well since I will be in Spokane all week working I wanted to give the whole Ice fishing a try I am curious as to where to go and or does anyone mind me tagging along I will be staying over this next friday and saturday then I will head back to Seattle area aka home.
As in the 16th/ 17th? I will probably give it a shot one of those days.... not sure which, but it's supposed to get cold up there again and we'll have even better ice to hit.
I will be here in spokane until the 18th more then likely it is up to me if I want to stay the extra day or not big player in it is the weather on the pass heading back to seattle.
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:47 am

Heard reports that guys are falling through the Ice at Forth of July.

Last Thursday there was water on the ice at Sprague and I would not even consider ice fishing it.

I would advise that we wait for the next cold spell. It was 46 degrees in Spokane when I left there at 0400 hours on 12/13/10.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 am

Anglinarcher wrote:I would advise that we wait for the next cold spell. It was 46 degrees in Spokane when I left there at 0400 hours on 12/13/10.
No matter how frustrating it is, I must agree with you. JK fished Eloika this last weekend and said the ice was still "ok" but I think I will hold off for the next week. My plans are to try again the 20th after a couple days of below freezing highs. It's supposed to stay cold for at least 7 days starting Wednesday. One more week...

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:50 am

Any news on ice at Silver yet?
President
Chapter 60, Muskies Inc.
Mountain Muskies
http://www.mountainmuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Black Plague
Petty Officer

Post by Black Plague » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:51 pm

silver is a no go...

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:06 pm

Dropped by Roses Lake (chelan Co) today. Very little coverage on the north end with midlake and south end open water.
Attachments
ne_a1216.jpg
ne_a1216.jpg (118.45 KiB) Viewed 5251 times

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Anyone have plans for the weekend? I know that the recent warm weather has made it difficult to find ice, but I am planning on hitting Eloika again. I'm sure that there's plenty of ice up there now despite the rain for a few days. I am on break for the holidays and I will be going just about every day all day. Should be a good break.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:34 pm

@aaron42ash - I might try to get out too. Just got a couple new ice rods in, but waiting on the stupid sled. Paid extra for shipping and the "later" stuff comes in first. I'm always itchin to be on the ice.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Jay K wrote:@aaron42ash - I might try to get out too. Just got a couple new ice rods in, but waiting on the stupid sled. Paid extra for shipping and the "later" stuff comes in first. I'm always itchin to be on the ice.
Ya I saw your shelter and the reels in the classifieds... to bad you can't convince the old lady to go with you. I think I will be out Monday through Friday hopefully. Found a place that sells REAL wax worms, which are way bigger than the stinky little maggots you can find at the gas stations... Petsmart or any other pet store sells them as reptile food. Well, they're perch and crappie food now.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Do any of the "fishable" rivers ever freeze over here? Just curious.

Any word on Newman?

Silver?

Any of the local ponds fishable? I've been eyeballing Shelley Lake, but unfortunately it's gated and you'd need a "friend."
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Jay-Sometimes you can find enough ice on the P.O. to venture out on, but not really...

Hit Eloika today. 8 inches of solid ice on the south end.

Check out my report later

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:59 pm

Aaron- I hit Eloika today as well. Just posted my report. Was a nice time, although the majority of the fish I caught were pickerels. I went looking for Fiska's jigs today - they're a big hit on some of the fishing boards in the midwest I frequent (also saw that you were using 'em). No such luck at Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse. Cabela's does carry another brand of tungsten jigs - gill pills I think. Might try 'em out since the Fiska's aren't available. I suppose I could order off yourbobbersdown.

Were you the solo guy out by Jerry's Landing today? When I arrived there was a huge crew out by the south end. I was gonna yell, "Hey, you aaron42ash?" "Hey, are you aaron42ash?" I trekked out almost all the way to Jerry's Landing today, pulling a sled; I was also using a sonar.

Have some work to take care of tomorrow morning, otherwise I'd make a trip out again.

Everybody tells me about Waitt's Lake and their giant perch; Maybe I oughta make a trip.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:18 am

Bonaperte posted(facebook) 15" of ice and they still hadn't punched thru...... There's new owners up there remodelling the resort. It's a long drive, 5 hrs for me, from Seattle/Kirkland, but the web cam isn't showing people walking across the ice at Trout yet, near Lake Wenatchee, and Roses, near Lake Chelan, isn't iced up yet. Another week or so I'll be visiting a friend near Chewela, we might hit: Williams? Hatch? Pierre? some other pond east of Colville?depending on ice conditions... Hatch was rehabbed a couple years ago and they "forgot" to restock for that winter, should be stocked now, new reg though, not allowed to keep perch caught out of Hatch, only trout allowed. They figure to stop the backyard biologist from restocking Hatch with perch. I don't think that will work. I fished Eloika one winter and did so poorly, I've never gone back. Wish I had more time to find the good spots, I think I had started at the ramp and punched holes clear across the lake to the other side, found nothing in the trough and maybe just the tiniest of bluegill on the far side. If you happen to see some guy wearing an orange mustang suit(floats) punching a bunch of holes, that might be me. I make 2-3 trips for ice fishing each year, couple to 3 days at a whack.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

ice seaker
Petty Officer

Post by ice seaker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:07 am

anyone hear about fish lake yet by levenworth??????? i see on the cam its frozen but cant see anyone on it yet!!!!!!!!

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:32 pm

[quote="Jay K"]Were you the solo guy out by Jerry's Landing today? When I arrived there was a huge crew out by the south end. I was gonna yell, "Hey, you aaron42ash?" "Hey, are you aaron42ash?" I trekked out almost all the way to Jerry's Landing today, pulling a sled]

Jay, that's great you finally had SOME luck at this lake. Didn't want people to start to think I was just telling fish stories... That wasn't me yesterday as I was in Sunnyside chasing pheasants and quail. It was a good hunt too. However, tomorrow that guy will be me. I'm not sure what time I will be arriving at the lake, but it will most likely be early and an all day trip. If anyone makes it out there come say hey. I'll be in the black HT pop-up shack, or if it's not up I'll have the black lab along. Not sure what end of the lake I'm going to hit though.