Where to go for something "different"?

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DakotaElkSlayer
Angler

Where to go for something "different"?

Post by DakotaElkSlayer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Guys, looking for some suggestions... I have never ice fished in Washington before and was planning on driving over from Moscow, ID for the day this Friday. Do you guys have any suggestions for places for me to hit to catch something "different," such as walleye, lakers, or lake whitefish? No 4X4, so has to be decently accessible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Kfedka
Commander

RE:Where to go for something "different"?

Post by Kfedka » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Not sure how ice is on Banks Lake in Central Washington, but they have Walleye, Lake Whitefish, and Perch there. The southern part of the lake by Coulee City, might be frozen as it's not as deep as the rest. Lake Trout, try Bead Lake north of Newport, WA, you can also catch big Burbots there. Priest Lake in Northern Idaho has Lakers as well. Read through the posts to get more specific info on some of the lakes.

DakotaElkSlayer
Angler

Post by DakotaElkSlayer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks, I ended up at Soda lake to chase whitefish and walleyes. Too bad the ice was rather thin.

Jim

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:49 pm

@DakotaElkSlayer- Hey, saw your post on iceshanty a while back, but missed this post. You coulda hit Moses Lake or Scooteney for some walleye. There was a recent report out of Scooteney that also mentioned Moses Lake. Incidentally, I think that report also mentioned the thin ice at Soda - sorry you made a fruitless trip.

DakotaElkSlayer
Angler

Post by DakotaElkSlayer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 pm

Did hit Scootney and caught about 7 perch. Skipped Moses since it was bigger water and didn't know where to go. Oh ya, did the Lind Coulee Arm of Potholes, too. Scratching my head why there was a good 5" of clear ice there, but such thin stuff on Soda only a mile or so away.

Jim

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:06 am

DakotaElkSlayer wrote: Scratching my head why there was a good 5" of clear ice there, but such thin stuff on Soda only a mile or so away.

Jim
Soda is first in line to receive any water that may be flowing out of the Resivoir so it not only gets a supply of "warm" water, it can also have a bit movement that would hinder ice development.