Reel advice please

Post any questions and photos about old fishing rods, reels and gear!
Myab
Angler

Reel advice please

Post by Myab » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:47 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a few Abu Garcia Ambassador reels that i was looking to upgrade. I was liking the reels but now the drag has stopped working and it is a lot of work to reel in double cowgirls. I was wondering if anybody has a fix to the drag issue and what everyone’s preference is towards musky reels. I have been doing some reading on reels and looking around in stores and from what i found the Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast was the best on the market. Any input? Another question i had was what length of rod i should be using for casting.
Thanks!

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Reel advice please

Post by BentRod » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:43 am

Sounds like you may just need to service the drag washers in your current reels. I've really enjoyed the Abu reels. Like most parts of the reel, the drag system needs periodic service. You can either do it yourself (buy some drag washer grease) or send it away. You can also buy replacement drag washers or sometimes even upgrade drag washer material which will improve function and longevity. Another tip is to back your drag tension off when the reels are in storage as leaving them under constant compression can shorten the life.