Lake Roosevelt Camping & Fire Rules

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Lake Roosevelt Camping & Fire Rules

Post by Aaron » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:45 pm

The rules on the Park Service website for Roosevelt are as follows:

FIRES
* Are permitted in campsites where fire grates are provided by the National Park Service.
* Portable Propane Campfire Units that are UL (Underwriters Lab) approved are permitted.
* Do not leave fires unattended. Fires must be completely extinguished with water, doused and stirred.
* Debris burning is not permitted.
* Are NOT permitted on exposed lakebed from May 2–October 31.

What is considered lakebed? I'm planning on camping along the river in July and I know we'll want a fire... is the lakebed any exposed beach area? Anything under the high water marks?

Also, anyone have any idea how busy the lake is the weekend AFTER the 4th of july? Are the various boat-in-only sites easy to attain or are there a lot of campers all the time during the summer? We plan on arriving mid-day on a Thur....
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

G-Man
Admiral

RE:Lake Roosevelt Camping & Fire Rules

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:32 pm

The lakebed is any land that would be underwater at the high water mark/full pool level. The way I read it there really shouldn't be an issue as the fire grates are installed well above the high water mark and it is implied that non-propane fires aren't permitted except in the provided fire grates.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Few years back while fishing in the evening the day before Labor Day(September) during full pool level, we made a fire on the sand. Next thing I know a game warden is walking around writing everyone including me a $75 ticket for the fires. They are not allowed ANYWHERE except at campsites during the months of May through October, that is how he explained it to me.

Camping without a fire is very lame. Bring a 4x8 plywood sheet and put it against the fire to block it from people see your fire and don't forget to light a couple propane lamps as that helps keep the fire less visible.

Big D

Post by Big D » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Kfedka wrote:Camping without a fire is very lame. Bring a 4x8 plywood sheet and put it against the fire to block it from people see your fire and don't forget to light a couple propane lamps as that helps keep the fire less visible.
Great advise there Kfedka...NOT
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Simmer down, simmer down now.

I'll probably take along one of the propane campfires... not too expensive and will eliminate the problem altogether.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Big D

Post by Big D » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Sorry Aaron,
A propane campfire is a great idea. I've got several tiki torches both with and without citronella oil that you're more than welcome to if you'd like to add some South Sea Island ambience to your camping trip.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Roger
Angler

Post by Roger » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Only in Washington would you find such ridiculous restrictions. I mean this "is" America, not the USSR is it not? What fun is it to have a camp and no fire blazing at night to enjoy tall tales with friends and family. Its primal, but in Washington, the nazi state, ILLEGAL. Unbelievable. How do you people tolerate this type of gestapo rule over the general populace. I mean, do the people of Washington have such low IQs that they have to have laws dictating everything in their lives. Its a campfire! Not a terrorist plot. Go bust some crackheads in Spokane if you are that hardup to dominate people's lives. Wildfire hazard, you say? Then why restrict fires at the water line? I've not had the pleasure of seeing water burn. Maybe down around Hanford, but not at the lake surely. So if wildfire is the danger, then restrict the campgrounds as well, in fact, bust doors down at people's homes and fine them for having pilot lights burning. Did you know that when you leave these "boat in" camp areas you must take your ashes with you? Yep. Oh, and don't forget to display your F&G tag in it's proper place in your vehicle or be fined $110 whether you possess one or not. Making criminals out of us all, that's Washington State. You'd think that going to the lake would be an enjoyable break from the things that stress you out during the work week. Think again. You are about to go to jail for relaxing. You can have it. I'll stick to Idaho and Montana for my outdoor activities and be sure to keep my money out of Washington State. Good luck with the new tax to support your prison systems. At this rate half the population of Wa. will be serving time for using the wrong toilet paper etc.

Treefiddy
Angler

Post by Treefiddy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:26 am

Roger, I agree with you for the most part. There are alot of freaking morons at Roosevelt during the summer though.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:19 am

Roger, the reason that fires aren't allowed below the high water mark is due to the potential for water pollution. Before you say BS, think about all the junk that knuckleheads throw into a fire, especially after consuming some malted beverages. The people before us really did a number on the the land and we are now left to clean up their mess. It may cramp your style, but it is the right and responsible thing to do.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:34 pm

G-Man wrote:Roger, the reason that fires aren't allowed below the high water mark is due to the potential for water pollution. Before you say BS, think about all the junk that knuckleheads throw into a fire, especially after consuming some malted beverages. The people before us really did a number on the the land and we are now left to clean up their mess. It may cramp your style, but it is the right and responsible thing to do.
Still, Both Roger and G-Man have valid points. Roger is right about freedom, and with freedom comes responsibility.

G-Man, are you not taking the responsibility out of the equation? Is it not just as easy to pass a law that says no non-combustible debris in the fire and pack it out? Just as easy to enforce and it still leaves room for freedom.

I am left with mixed feelings on this one. The right and responsible thing to do would be to remove your junk. On the other hand, many do not remove their junk.

Still, making it criminal does not stop criminals from doing it?

#-o
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Every time I go fishing, kayaking, hiking, etc., I ALWAYS find someone else's garbage laying around. Even on a hike close to Seattle with all the 'eco nazis' hiking around me, passing the garbage by and not picking it up. Classic case of 'all talk' type of people.

Yep, this is America and we have Freedom... FACT IS, LOTS of Americans are lazy, irresponsible, slobs that don't give a damn about the results of their actions.

Too many times it seems that the people who complain most about their 'freedom' being impinged upon, are those who are the most irresponsible with the use of their freedom.
Lee