This Newbie Needs Help!

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
nickbell
Commander

This Newbie Needs Help!

Post by nickbell » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey, my dad and I are looking for a place to hike, camp, and fish. We are getting very confused with everything these other websites are telling us. We might want to go to Mt. Rainier Park. We really dont want to go to a campsite, we want to "rough it" in the woods. So one thing i am confused about is wilderness camping. Does this mean that we can set up a tent anywhere we want? (I know that we have to stay away from trails/water). We just want to hike out and put up a tent somewhere, do you know what i mean? Or do we have to go to a campsite? Thank you for helping this newbie out!

Also, any recommendations on lakes in Mt. Rainier Park? We have no idea where to go, most websites we go to have very terrible info and dont help us. Thank you!

nickbell
Commander

RE:This Newbie Needs Help!

Post by nickbell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:54 am

We are pretty sure that we are going to Mt. Raineir, since it is closer than most other places.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:19 am

well let's see. If you go to Rainer there are a lot of trails to hike. Do a web search for the "Wonderland Trail"

Here's the Rainer National Park website.

This page has PDF files to specific questions about camping, fishing, etc.

Mt Rainer is a National Park so there is an entrance fee (it's on the site, can't remember for sure what it is for day use). Camping is in designated areas, but if you go hiking you'll have more freedom to pick spots, although you should try for spots that are established. Also, generally no camping or fires are allowed close to the alpine lakes I believe.

I've been using this website as an excellent resource for hiking/camping:

Washington Trails Association

There's a ton of great information AND trip reports. The site is very similar to WL.com in that respect. If you look up Goat lake you'll find my trip report, LOL.

Have fun and be safe!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Mike pretty much nailed it.
Nick,there are a few places off hand that you can rough it. Buck Creek also known as Ranger Creek is approx
2 miles prior to the Mt.Rainier National Park entrance on highway 410. No designated sites but several have been created
and no fees. There are several other spots like this in the Naches area. National and State parks don't allow freelance
camping.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:41 pm

If you want to "Rough it", find some trails in Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Mount Rainier is NOT the place to do it. You can only camp in designated "back country" camping spots inside the National Park, and you can't fish either.

You'll encounter WAY fewer people in Gifford Pinchot as well.
Lee

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Ok, thanks everyone! Any recommendations on lakes in that area bionic one?

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:22 am

bionic_one wrote:If you want to "Rough it", find some trails in Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Mount Rainier is NOT the place to do it. You can only camp in designated "back country" camping spots inside the National Park, and you can't fish either.

You'll encounter WAY fewer people in Gifford Pinchot as well.
Good call bionic one,some awesome places in there.

To add to the suggestion box,
Big Creek at Lake Cushman is decent. Nothing spectacular at the campground,it has designated sites and camp fees
but plenty of fishing opportunities at Lake Cushman(plenty of bank access or go to the resort and dock fish/boat rentals)
Lake Kokanee is just down the road but I personally don't know much about it.
Also plenty of Alpine lakes in the area such as Lena,Tena,Melbourne,Price and many others.
The great thing about the Northwest is there are plenty of options to go.

Good luck!

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:49 pm

We are thinking coal lake in snohomish.