slide-in truck camper

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

slide-in truck camper

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 am

hi all,

i always enjoy getting advice from you guys, here's my latest quandry... i bought a pickup this spring and hope to buy a slide-in camper for it by next spring. i'm not interested so much in debating features, length, weight, the pickup setup, etc but rather hard-sided vs. the pop-up kind.

my thoughts:
  • i like the idea of the pop-up because there's less wind resistance up there and better clearance for tight wooded situations where i typically camp
  • on a road trip, to pull into a rest area to make a quick meal would require cranking up the top
  • how would it do during colder spring & fall winter? it'd likely have a thermostat, but will the walls get a lot of condensation? here's where a hard-sided unit would do better, i'd imagine
  • i need to sleep 4 (two adults, two kids) and the hard-sided units can have a folding bunk over the wrap-around table that also makes into a bed. ta-da! bunk bed!
  • anyone do any winter camping in a pop-up? even the bumper-pull variety? how'd it go for temp, condensation, setup/tear-down?
  • any pros/cons i haven't thought of?

ok fellas, let's hear it!

Gringo Pescador

Re: slide-in truck camper

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:09 am

I know nothing about the truck campers, but if you want more info about the pop-up campers PM me. I got a little 8'-er with a sink & two burner stove. Got it cheap and spent this summer restoring it. I found a pop up forum that I got a lot of information from it for setup, insulation, storage, etc.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:I know nothing about the truck campers, but if you want more info about the pop-up campers PM me. I got a little 8'-er with a sink & two burner stove. Got it cheap and spent this summer restoring it. I found a pop up forum that I got a lot of information from it for setup, insulation, storage, etc.
have you camped in it yet, gringo? or still in the process of restoring? particularly interested in cold weather experiences. we had a pop-up when we were first married and i loved it. could not get over the interior space once the beds were pushed out. had a full zip-on screen porch for the canopy and everything. it didn't work out well with young kids though because noisy campground neighbors could be heard thru the walls.

i could still go back to one, they're so easy to tow and store, but have been leaning toward a hard-sided setup so i can camp earlier and later in the year. even considering a few overnights at the ski hill, roads permitting.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:44 am

TroutCowboy wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:I know nothing about the truck campers, but if you want more info about the pop-up campers PM me. I got a little 8'-er with a sink & two burner stove. Got it cheap and spent this summer restoring it. I found a pop up forum that I got a lot of information from it for setup, insulation, storage, etc.
have you camped in it yet, gringo? or still in the process of restoring? particularly interested in cold weather experiences. we had a pop-up when we were first married and i loved it. could not get over the interior space once the beds were pushed out. had a full zip-on screen porch for the canopy and everything. it didn't work out well with young kids though because noisy campground neighbors could be heard thru the walls.

i could still go back to one, they're so easy to tow and store, but have been leaning toward a hard-sided setup so i can camp earlier and later in the year. even considering a few overnights at the ski hill, roads permitting.
Did one trip so far with my wife (Mexican and always 1st to be cold) and 3yo daughter - nights were down around 30 and we were fine. We had hookups and a tiny forced air heater. We ran the heater and warmed the place up until we were down for the night, then turned it off until morning. With that and the extra insulation there were no issues at all (warm pj's and sleeping bags of course). It was a little chilly when we woke up, but nothing that 10 minutes running the heater didn't fix.
For non-hookup places I set it up with two propane tanks and got a MR Buddy heater and a 12' line (1 tank for heater and 1 for cookstove/bbq). I could see where noise might be an issue with the canvas walls..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:45 pm

I have a slide in camper of the hard side variety. It has a good climate control system and is quite comfortable in the summer and winter months. I would not worry too much about cold weather performance unless your family is into winter trips. I've found that my family would rather spend time at home when it is cold and rainy. I've taken my unit to the East side in search of late season Deer and other game which requires a method of keeping the water from freezing in the pipes and water heater. I typically stay at a resort with electricity and bring along a small oil filled space heater to do the job when I'm away from the camper and use the forced air propane heat when I'm in the camper. As for condensation, it is important to crack a couple of windows when the unit is occupied during the cooler months, especially when sleeping.

The main difference you'll notice with a pop-up is storage space/capacity. If you are like the rest of us, storage space is a premium and the pop-up campers just can't compete. You may need to invest in a small cargo trailer or a hitch mounted cargo carrier when taking the family for an outing.

If I was single, I'd have bought one of the newer style pop-ups for the reasons you mentioned. I don't need all the amenities and extra storage space when I travel alone and there are times when I simply camp using my canopy. However, with the family in mind, I opted for a hard sided camper with slide-out to make everyone more comfortable and I have had no regrets doing so.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 pm

G-Man wrote:If I was single, I'd have bought one of the newer style pop-ups for the reasons you mentioned. I don't need all the amenities and extra storage space when I travel alone and there are times when I simply camp using my canopy.
I know it is a little bit of a derail but if I were single, I'd be looking into one of these.. http://flippac.com/THE_FLIP_PAC/indexp.html then you could still tow the boat.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:10 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:
G-Man wrote:If I was single, I'd have bought one of the newer style pop-ups for the reasons you mentioned. I don't need all the amenities and extra storage space when I travel alone and there are times when I simply camp using my canopy.
I know it is a little bit of a derail but if I were single, I'd be looking into one of these.. http://flippac.com/THE_FLIP_PAC/indexp.html then you could still tow the boat.
A forewarned yet, interesting derail. Interesting concept, but why all the outside pic's? Strange that the inside is not the main focus. Not one picture of the inside? Sure 2 pictures barely looking into the back, that are to far to make any detail out.

I don't get a good feeling from this type of canopy. What I mean is, functionality of the space inside? Basically a elevated tent on a uneven surface. Can you drive with the tent up? What about leaks? Cooking? seating? Cost?

Agreed that would allow for towing a boat. But for the cost, how does it outperform a tent other than the claimed 30 sec set up? As far as a mattress, looks like air or foam would be the best choice for ease of take down. Like a tent.

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:39 am

yes but one major difference I see is you cant lock everything in your tent and guarantee it will be there when you return. With a few minutes to secure everything inside, and close it up, you are on the road to wherever you want to go.

The last few years I've heard more and more about people's camps getting robbed while they are gone hunting or fishing, and it makes me leary of leaving anything behind when I go. If I am getting up early to get a first-light line wet, I dont want to spend an hour or two packing up the entire campsite.

Found this page that specs it out... http://flippac.com/specs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a bad idea, but definitely wouldn't try driving with it opened. Useful depending on who you are, and your specific needs, and unlike a tent, you can build or create whatever kind of space/environment you want in the bed of your truck (within reason of course) while you are using it.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:51 pm

gonnahookit wrote:yes but one major difference I see is you cant lock everything in your tent and guarantee it will be there when you return. With a few minutes to secure everything inside, and close it up, you are on the road to wherever you want to go.

The last few years I've heard more and more about people's camps getting robbed while they are gone hunting or fishing, and it makes me leary of leaving anything behind when I go. If I am getting up early to get a first-light line wet, I dont want to spend an hour or two packing up the entire campsite.

Found this page that specs it out... http://flippac.com/specs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a bad idea, but definitely wouldn't try driving with it opened. Useful depending on who you are, and your specific needs, and unlike a tent, you can build or create whatever kind of space/environment you want in the bed of your truck (within reason of course) while you are using it.
Agreed, but for the sake of argument. How secure is a locked canopy? That must be the point, since it is a tent when set up. Therefore not more secure than a tent. And like a tent, for security, and being able to drive. Take down and set up is a must. Again, I don't see the benefit over the cost.

Feels like a niche type of accessory for a few. Can you imagine taking off, forgetting to take it down? For the hassle, the cost of a small camper out weights the jack in the box canopy. Just one opinion, regarding practicality.

I don't like that everything during take down is placed in the small space in the back of the truck. I guess being able to stand up is a plus over canopy or tent camping. But really, a 5 x5 or 6 x 6ft space the truck bed provides whether standing or not. Is cramped. Perhaps a 8ft truck bed would be "roomy" enough to change my opinion.

Would like to reiterate that the lack of interior pictures. And focus on outside "appearance" leaves me very skeptical of it's real world functionality.

Should also mention I have a canopy. Do not have a camper. So, not biased on way or another. Except, when I canopy camp. There is a air mattress set up, that stays elevated off the truck bed. On the rail of the truck for the duration of the trip. Storage space is the entire back space under the bed. More cramped than the Jack in the box canopy would be. But how much, really?

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:36 pm

We hunted in the snow in a hard sided pop up trailer when we were young and stayed warm enough that we just wore our long underwear while we were inside.jI think I remember we had to keep our sleeping bags away from the walls or they would freeze to them at night. I think there was a propane heater in it. The pop up camper have partial hard sides so I would think it would be ok. There is something to be said for being totally set up when you get to your destination though.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 pm

I had a hard side slide in 8ft camper, not self contained and we used an electric heater in the campgrounds. I now have a 8 ft pop up Palomino Bronco. With both space was an issue. When I had the hard side I had two little girls and pulled a boat. Now it is the wife and I and a boat. In cold weather you can go thru some propane but stay warm. My Bronco is self contained and the table makes a small bed (we have never used). I have been in a popup of a friend in the snow and stayed warm, venting is needed to keep down the condensation.
As far as pulling in to a reststop for lunch we find we have the floor full of stuff and it would be a pain even if we wanted to pop it up. Maybe you could pack lighter than us. I have given the hitch storage a look but would not get much space this is a 8ft camper on a 6.5ft truck bead.
The Pop up travels well in the wind.
If you plan to go to Glacier Nat park or some parks in Canada they say no soft side campers. I don't get that when I think they let people use tents, but then you don't cook and eat in a tent (at least not in bear country)

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 am

Years ago I had a custom Flip-Pac fabricated by their facility in Corona California. In the facility there was an interesting mix of manufacturing capability, the company also manufactured pre-fabricated shower enclosures. My unit was fabricated for my Ford F350 diesel 4x4 crew-cab and was primarily used for guided camping/fishing trips in Baja and for family adventures. Mine was one of the first units where it was fabricated to meet specific customer requirements. I had an additional stiffener laminated into the build to support an awning rail. Additionally mine was equipped with a molded in custom speaker enclosure/electronics compartment/security vault. I also had a dual density mattress fabricated that I provided for installation in my Flip-Pac. My unit was reinforced for the installation of a Yakima Rack track system and had wiring provisions built in for outdoor lighting. My build took some time but it was worth it. They did an outstanding job and the detail in their finish work exceeded my expectations. I also fabricated a removable pullout kitchen/bed platform/communication center that I installed in the bed of the truck. It was 8” high so with the interior headroom of the Flip-Pac I still had plenty of headroom to stand up and change. As set up and with my kitchen unit the Flip-Pac would comfortably sleep 5 people.

As mentioned earlier, I used the truck/shell combo for remote Baja camping/fishing trips. We did a lot of off road and four wheeling and the Flip-Pac performed flawlessly. It always deployed without incident and never developed stress fractures. Although I purchased the optional rain fly I never used it, but even with a heavy mist/light rain and the unit was completely waterproof. I was able to leave the tent deployed while doing a beach launch or launching at a campground launch but I would not recommend driving at any more than a few mph with the unit deployed. We loved the thing and between both family and guide service use it logged many hours of use and kept on “flip’n”. I may have some pictures and if I can find them I will digitize them and add them to my post.