Sunlake State Park?

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
FishingFool
Commodore

Sunlake State Park?

Post by FishingFool » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:13 pm

So I'm researching for a new place to camp out next year, instead of Steamboat. Just want something a little bit different. Driven by this place a few times, but never stopped in to check it out. Looking overview, what I thought was the state park is actually some sort of resort and it appears the state park is to the right of this resort?

It appears they both share the same boat launch? How's camping here at either the resort or campground? Most importantly, how's the bass fishing? Very few reports for that species there. Mainly trout it seems. Lots of water fleas? Typically go before summer starts to beat that crowd.

We tent camp, but need electrical hookup to charge batteries.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Re: Sunlake State Park?

Post by hewesbob » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:19 pm

I just got home from a weekend family reunion at the resort, The place is ok but in my opinion it is very expensive, $45 for rv hook up $40 for tents. It was to windy so I din't put the boat in the water but some of the kids in our camp fished off the dock and caught a few 12" trout and some 10"-12" perch. The grounds were keeped up pretty well and the bathrooms were clean, camp site are nice size, I had plenty of room for our 38 ft. motorhome,boat and tahoe. About half the sites have shade trees and if your into golf there is a 9 hole course that I heard was fun. Hope this helps a little

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:19 pm

hewesbob wrote:I just got home from a weekend family reunion at the resort, The place is ok but in my opinion it is very expensive, $45 for rv hook up $40 for tents. It was to windy so I din't put the boat in the water but some of the kids in our camp fished off the dock and caught a few 12" trout and some 10"-12" perch. The grounds were keeped up pretty well and the bathrooms were clean, camp site are nice size, I had plenty of room for our 38 ft. motorhome,boat and tahoe. About half the sites have shade trees and if your into golf there is a 9 hole course that I heard was fun. Hope this helps a little
Well, it's not much cheaper at the state park. Seems to be about the same price. When you're at an RV spot, is there a spot for a tv? Looking at the aerial view, it doesn't look like anyone tents up on the grass along the side. Not to mention, you can smell your neighbors' butts.

Looking at the site images over at the state park, it doesn't seem any better. Worse actually. The site tables are almost touching. Wtf. No separate or privacy.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:32 am

We got tv with our Dish Network Tailgater, it was fine. It looked to me like tents were only allowed in the upper area if it was with an rv on the same site. You are right about close quarters. On a scale of one to ten I would rate this place about 3-4, its definitely not a fishing resort its more just a place to stay if you can't find any place else. One thing about it, there is a great little lake at the end of the road that runs thru the park, it is Deep Lake and holds a fair amount of Kokes in the 10"-14" range.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:13 am

hewesbob wrote:We got tv with our Dish Network Tailgater, it was fine. It looked to me like tents were only allowed in the upper area if it was with an rv on the same site. You are right about close quarters. On a scale of one to ten I would rate this place about 3-4, its definitely not a fishing resort its more just a place to stay if you can't find any place else. One thing about it, there is a great little lake at the end of the road that runs thru the park, it is Deep Lake and holds a fair amount of Kokes in the 10"-14" range.
Lol I'm not sure why i said TV. Must have been autocorrect for tent. Hmmm, maybe i'll look for something at Moses instead.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:29 pm

hewesbob wrote:We got tv with our Dish Network Tailgater, it was fine. It looked to me like tents were only allowed in the upper area if it was with an rv on the same site. You are right about close quarters. On a scale of one to ten I would rate this place about 3-4, its definitely not a fishing resort its more just a place to stay if you can't find any place else. One thing about it, there is a great little lake at the end of the road that runs thru the park, it is Deep Lake and holds a fair amount of Kokes in the 10"-14" range.
Deep lake holds some big bows and browns if you want top go look for them. Some of the other little lakes in the area can be lights out fishing for trout on the opener but not much after. I'm not sure I'd say the State Park camping is any more crowded than any other State Park. For charging bring a gen set, everybody else does. So many people want to stay there they kind of have to do the rank and file. As for the RV park and golf course, I believe the space is leased out a private entity to manage, another sign of the tax base not supporting the parks. The group camp is pretty nice there. If you were going to do a family reunion it would be great. You get your own private camp spot and the hall with the kitchen and stuff. The fly club I belong to has stayed there before, worked out nice for the group.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!