Last Minnute Camping

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
rjn cajun
Captain

Last Minnute Camping

Post by rjn cajun » Tue May 25, 2010 10:24 am

My wife decided she wants to go camping this weekend:-" . Want to hear from my fellow anglers on where to go. I live in Enumclaw so some place in western Washington on a lake. We will be in a tent so the usual tent accomidations. I also have a 10ft boat with electric and a gas motor so a place that has good bass fishing as well as trout for the kids. Any help would be great. Gotta please her:scratch: the kids and myself:nemo: .

kcc
Warrant Officer

RE:Last Minnute Camping

Post by kcc » Tue May 25, 2010 11:19 am

good luck, most places you need reservations now a days for this weekend. Try the state parks webiste and see if anything is open.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue May 25, 2010 11:39 am

https://secure.camis.com/WA/

http://www.recreation.gov/

If there are any openings, one of these sites should help you find it.

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Tue May 25, 2010 12:37 pm

rjn cajun wrote:My wife decided she wants to go camping this weekend:-" . Want to hear from my fellow anglers on where to go. I live in Enumclaw so some place in western Washington on a lake. We will be in a tent so the usual tent accomidations. I also have a 10ft boat with electric and a gas motor so a place that has good bass fishing as well as trout for the kids. Any help would be great. Gotta please her:scratch: the kids and myself:nemo: .
If you can't find anything worthwhile in Western WA and decide you are willing to drive across the state, I know a place you might be able to reserve that is on a lake full of bass...
Donny - Software Engineer

It's time to catch bass and chew bubble gum, guys... and I'm all out of gum

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue May 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Anyone been to rife lake camp ground pretty sure thats where were headed. Message says they still have spots availible. Gotta call at 7:30 to reserve a spot. I think my boat is a little small for rife but I hear stafford pond or is it sworford is good fishin.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed May 26, 2010 10:06 am

Bring the tarp!! Forecast is for rain rain and more rain. #-o
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Wed May 26, 2010 10:12 am

Yeah can`t wait my site is gonna look like tarp city.:ncool:

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Wed May 26, 2010 10:22 am

Matt wrote:Bring the tarp!! Forecast is for rain rain and more rain. #-o
This is why I don't camp on MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND [much to the chagrin of the girl friend]. Been there. Done that. Had it snow on me followed by non-stop rain all day. Coldest feeling I've ever experienced.

I'll stick to the fishing and backyard grilling. :)

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed May 26, 2010 10:34 am

rjn cajun wrote:Anyone been to rife lake camp ground pretty sure thats where were headed. Message says they still have spots availible. Gotta call at 7:30 to reserve a spot. I think my boat is a little small for rife but I hear stafford pond or is it sworford is good fishin.
Great place to camp, Riffe should be close to full(water level). The past several years this time of the year, the Silvers are easy to catch. We've done very well fishing off that bridge. :cheers:
"One more......."

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed May 26, 2010 10:50 am

FishTank wrote:
Matt wrote:Bring the tarp!! Forecast is for rain rain and more rain. #-o
This is why I don't camp on MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND [much to the chagrin of the girl friend]. Been there. Done that. Had it snow on me followed by non-stop rain all day. Coldest feeling I've ever experienced.

I'll stick to the fishing and backyard grilling. :)
We got the tarps, plastic poles and rope. The best thing about camping this early in the year is that we camp close to home. Lots of local places so if the weather gets out of hand, we will just pack it up and head home.

Last year I reserved a spot an Kanasket-Palmer St Park and got rained out. To top it off I screwed up the reservations and was 2 months off and had set up in someone elses spot. Glad it was only a 30 min drive back home that time.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed May 26, 2010 1:09 pm

Personally I kind of enjoy tarp camping. Rain never bothers me when I am fishing, just bring the rain gear, and as long as the tent is tarped up and I got a dry place to go and hide and change into DRY clothes and DRY socks I am content. Just bring my electric lantern and cribbage and have a game night :)

Camped in March last year for springers on the Cascade, tarp central and COLD but lots of fun :)
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Wed May 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Matt wrote:Personally I kind of enjoy tarp camping. Rain never bothers me when I am fishing, just bring the rain gear, and as long as the tent is tarped up and I got a dry place to go and hide and change into DRY clothes and DRY socks I am content. Just bring my electric lantern and cribbage and have a game night :)

Camped in March last year for springers on the Cascade, tarp central and COLD but lots of fun :)
I don't mind overnight trips.

But when we go camping, it's for the weekend. As bad as I hate to admit it, I start to wuss out after one night if it's cold... especially if it's wet. Last time we camped in the rain, I had to dig deep into logs to find dry wood for the fire.

Some of you are maybe thinking, "You didn't bring fire wood???" Hey man... We're hardcore about it. :batman:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 26, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 26, 2010 2:39 pm

2 places come to mind. In Fall City there is the campground right on the Snoqualmie.Lake Alice is just a skip away .They might have openings.This is a horrible weekend to camp w/o reservations. The other thing to do is on Fri afternoon start calling and ask if any cancellations happened.I've gotten good campsites doing that.Especially with the rains happening.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 26, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Sun May 30, 2010 7:53 am

Not as many tarp camps set up as expected... lol. just have mine covering the wood and camp stove. Battery is dieing... gotta put the laptop on the charger...

On another note. Were gonna scratch Dash Point OFF of our camping "Places to Go" list. The mentality of the campers/partiers was disapointing. Yelling/screaming/partying all night. Trash every where. Not the environment I'll waste my time going to again.

It was the worst camping experience I have ever had at a State Park!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.