Lake Chelan Mackinaw Trout

Post your fishing related videos here.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Lake Chelan Mackinaw Trout

Post by Mike Carey » Fri May 31, 2013 8:54 pm

JoAnn and I got to fish with Jeff Witkowski, a guide with Darrell and Dad's Family Guide Service. We had a fun morning on the water and brought back some nice lakers.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Re: Lake Chelan Mackinaw Trout

Post by Fish-or-man? » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 am

Another fine WL video! I have never fished for lake trout. How do they taste?

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:24 am

Fish-or-man? wrote:Another fine WL video! I have never fished for lake trout. How do they taste?
Lake trout are very oily. I always cut the belly band off before smoking them as I had a fire from all the oil. I know people who actually prefer smoked Mack over Salmon. I like them both but Mack is great smoked. I will be doing a couple of smokers full next week.

Great video Mike. Those are the perfect size for eating and/or smoking. [thumbsup]

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:44 am

good video!! its such a beautiful area out there too.. i'd like to get out there more someday.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:26 am

Hmmm, not sure where my reply went so I'll try again. Mike great job on the mack video and it answered a few lingering questions. What did you do with the fish? Did you smoke, grill, freeze or ??? them? Whichever way how did they taste? Also, I noticed in the video that he was running the downrigger booms angled aft. Did you guys discuss the downrigger boom orientation and if so why run them angled aft?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:54 pm

rseas wrote:Hmmm, not sure where my reply went so I'll try again. Mike great job on the mack video and it answered a few lingering questions. What did you do with the fish? Did you smoke, grill, freeze or ??? them? Whichever way how did they taste? Also, I noticed in the video that he was running the downrigger booms angled aft. Did you guys discuss the downrigger boom orientation and if so why run them angled aft?
We smoked most of it and grilled a few fillets. They were OK grilled, but honestly trout is not my favorite fish so I wasn't impressed. The smoked fish turned out good. For some reason it seemed to hold the salt flavor more than my kokanee so it's a bit salty, but not bad at all.

I had to go back and watch the video to focus on the DRs. I have to admit I never paid any attention and didn't ask Jeff about it, so I would be speculating. Per haps just ease of hooking up the release? He had plenty of beam so it was no issue to have them not at maximum separation.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Mac fshing is fun but they taste like crap IMO....I just wanna go there for the kokes next year with WLers.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 pm

sickbayer wrote:Mac fshing is fun but they taste like crap IMO....I just wanna go there for the kokes next year with WLers.
Am counting down the days until the next chelan trip!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:35 pm

I used mine for crab bait, but each to his own. Expensive way to get my crab bait, but the experience was interesting.
X2 on the fat content. I'd never seen such a fatty fish before. It was like trimming pork fat off a big old pork roast or something.