Lake Coeur D'Alene Spring Chinook!

Post your fishing related videos here.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Lake Coeur D'Alene Spring Chinook!

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 pm

These are "the other" Spring Chinook... [thumbup]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Re: Lake Coeur D'Alene Spring Chinook!

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Ahhh shucks to many kokanee. Sweet video y'all !

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Mike, or anyone else who might know...what do you call those treble hook bait rigs you guys were using in the video? They are basically a salmon slip tie rig but with treble hooks.

Also - where can you buy them or do you have to make them up yourself?

Ive spent the last hours trying to Google something and looking on BassPro and Cabellas, etc, with no luck.

We are heading to Coeur d'Alene in two weeks and want to try some trolling like you guys did.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:47 am

dang, sorry Larry, too long ago for me to remember. Roger Blackstone would know. He's on Facebook.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks Mike. I'll see if I can look him up.

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:57 am

after watching this, I see that its 4 years old.....How is the fishing this year? and what part of the lake ? thanks.....

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:17 am

Most of that video looks to me like it was shot in the north end of the lake. If you look closely at the shoreline images, at one point you can see a large building in the Coeur d'alene marina in the back ground. That one looks like they are pretty much due south of the city. At another point they look to be near the Arrow Point Resort which is south east, across the lake from Coeur d'Alene.

I have no idea how the fishing is so far this year.
Last edited by Larry3215 on Thu May 03, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:28 pm

I called the Fins & Feathers guy in Coeur d'Alene today. He said the salmon fishing has been "ok" lately, and that the fish still seem to be mostly on the surface.

Keep in mind this is info coming from a tackle supply/fishing guide guy. I have NEVER in my 65 years ever ever heard a tackle supply guy or fishing guide EVER say the fishing was bad :)

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Thu May 03, 2018 5:54 am

Larry,
You are correct. I was in that shop one day when a lady from the newspaper called three times before the guy answered the phone. He blasted off a fishing report to her that sounded like he was reading it from a prewritten form letter. When he got off the phone, I laughed with him and I said, "You are so full of s***" He then said, "She has been calling all morning and I finally had to answer the phone" "What am I supposed to say, the fish aren't biting?" "Then nobody will come in and buy tackle" HAHAHA. We had just been talking about how slow things were. Info from a tackle shop is always sketchy.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:14 am

Hi Mark,

Yeah, I started to get suspicious about that shortly after I started using the internet to search for fishing reports several years ago. It soon became clear that most of the reports coming from guides and resorts seemed to be 5 start reports. Some of them were always 5 star. It was confirmed for me after our first trip to Pot Holes. We almost got skunked and every one we talked to, including two fish checkers at the ramps, had the same lousy luck. Yet the reports posted by MarDon and the guides on the lake were still glowing 5 star reports.

I think I have only seen a handful of reports from guides that were ever less than 5 stars. I figure those guides are the most honest guides and they are the ones I would pick if I was hiring a guide.