Artic Grayling

Post and find fish ID pictures/descriptions here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishaholictaz
Admiral

Artic Grayling

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:42 pm

From Wikipedia:

T. a. arcticus grows to a maximum recorded length of 76 cm (30 inches) and a maximum recorded weight of 3.8 kg (8.4 pounds); the other subspecies range in maximum length from 30 to 44 cm (12 to 17 inches), with maximum weights of about 1 to 1.3 kg (2 to 3 pounds). Of typical thymalline appearance, the Arctic grayling is distinguished from the similar grayling (T. thymallus) by the absence of dorsal and anal spines and by the presence of a larger number of soft rays in these fins. There is a dark midlateral band between the pectoral and pelvic fins, and the flanks may possess a pink iridescence. Some subspecies exhibit distinctive coloration. T. a. baicalensis is darker in colour with two wide vertical bars of lighter shade along its body. T. a. arcticus has been recorded as reaching an age of 18 years.

The Arctic grayling occurs primarily in cold waters of mid-sized to large rivers and lakes, returning to rocky streams to breed, although T. a. baicalensis remains in shallow waters for its entire life. The various subspecies are omnivorous. Crustaceans, insects and insect larvae, and fish eggs form the most important food items. Larger specimens of T. a. arcticus become piscivorous and may even take small aquatic mammals, such as lemmings. The immature fish feed on zooplankton and insect larvae.

Artic Grayling

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Artic Grayling

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Great Post!

Ice fishing in short sleeves and drinking Gatorade.:scratch: Where are you?!!!!!!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:45 pm

9,000' up in the air:-" The second picture was April or something like that last year. The first one was today. I posted it then I remembered I had that other picture in my photobucket:cheers:

PS: About the Gatorade you got to give the kids something decent when at altitude and out in the elements:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

deltadog
Petty Officer

Post by deltadog » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 am

I grew up in Evanston, Wy. We used to slay the grayling up at some small lake above the Popo Agie(?) River out of Lander. Its at the way at the end of the road, where the Trailhead to The Upper River starts....They would spawn like mad up some small streams there...

raffensg64
Commander

Re: Artic Grayling

Post by raffensg64 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:05 am

Here's an arctic grayling I caught last year on Piledriver Slough near Eielson AFB, AK. These fish are chicken noodle soup for the fisherman's soul, as they are they first fish to arrive after several months of winter!
Attachments
Photo05201614.jpg
Photo05201614.jpg (223.24 KiB) Viewed 29444 times

soberg
Angler

Post by soberg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Did we not have these gems in the upper Snoqualmie at one time? I have been trying to find any populations left in Washington. Anyone know?
Catchum

iwilfish
Petty Officer

Post by iwilfish » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:38 pm

soberg, I found on the WAlakes site a featured lake that mentioned arctic grayling, Granite lake http://www.washingtonlakes.com/FeaturedLake.aspx?id=204." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

A flyfisherman on another fishing forum, ifish.net, had this to say: "I have an answer for you. Search out a high-lake in the North Cascades in Washington. It's called GRANITE LAKE. It has the only catchable population of grayling in Washington.

The hike is easy if you can find the logging road that goes up to the lake.....it's a real bear if you bush wack, and can't find the logging road.

When I hiked it, we didnt find the logging road until about half way up....lets just say the first half of the hike took us 8 hours, and the second half took about 1 hour.

We caught many cut-bows, and quite a few grayling. Mostly around 10-12" long. Beautiful scenery. Lots of mosquitos. That lake was kinda funny as every color worked as long as it was copper! Thomas Buyant's were king that weekend."

hope that helps.
WALKS SOFTLY, AND CARRY A BIG FISH.