Burbot (fresh water ling)

Post and find fish ID pictures/descriptions here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
lonnie197272
Warrant Officer

Burbot (fresh water ling)

Post by lonnie197272 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:32 pm

The burbot (Lota lota) is the only gadiform (cod-like) fish inhabiting freshwaters. It is also known as mariah, the lawyer, and (misleadingly) eelpout. It is closely related to the marine common ling and the cusk. It is the only member of the genus Lota.

The genus and species name "lota" comes from the old French[1] "lotte", fish named also "barbot" in this language. The Inuktitut–Iñupiaq word for burbot was used to name the recently discovered extinct transitional species Tiktaalik.

It is most common in streams and lakes of North America and Europe above 40°N latitude. They are fairly common in Lake Erie but are also found in the other Great Lakes.

The burbot is edible. In Finland, its roe is sold as caviar. There is an annual spearfishing tournament held near Dauphin, Manitoba, Canada. One of the highlights of the tournament is the fish-fry where the day's catch is served up deep-fried. When cooked, burbot meat tastes very similar to American lobster, leading to the burbot's nickname of "poor man's lobster."
Attachments
Burbot_2.jpg
Burbot_2.jpg (60.52 KiB) Viewed 35808 times

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yooper_fisher
Lieutenant

RE:Burbot (fresh water ling)

Post by yooper_fisher » Fri May 06, 2011 10:27 pm

On Lake Superior we would also call them "losh" and "mullet" (like the bad haircut). They are pretty good to eat, but a pain to clean.

kenimes
Petty Officer

RE:Burbot (fresh water ling)

Post by kenimes » Thu May 19, 2011 1:09 pm

Catch the fresh water lings on Palmer Lake, here in WA, through the ice in the winter.

Heath79
Angler

Re: Burbot (fresh water ling)

Post by Heath79 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:13 pm

They're not a pain to clean if you do it this way: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... ion.burbot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pull the skin off like a tube sock. Remove the dorsal and anal fins. And then take three giant fillets. You don't have to gut them or bone them. It's a cinch.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:22 pm

image1.jpeg
Just though I'd post a pic of a burbot I caught a couple weeks ago. It was a first for me. I had seen one before come in as by-catch in a derby, but never had contact with one myself. I was jigging on the bottom in 100+ ft. of water. Jig was tipped with night crawler. Fish was 18" very strange fish indeed. It was very much like what I used to keep in my aquarium, an African Lungfish. Very eel-like, with couple of prehistoric-throw back legs below the gill area.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:17 pm

Bet that made a tasty meal! Where did you find that one?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:52 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
image1.jpeg
Just though I'd post a pic of a burbot I caught a couple weeks ago. It was a first for me. I had seen one before come in as by-catch in a derby, but never had contact with one myself. I was jigging on the bottom in 100+ ft. of water. Jig was tipped with night crawler. Fish was 18" very strange fish indeed. It was very much like what I used to keep in my aquarium, an African Lungfish. Very eel-like, with couple of prehistoric-throw back legs below the gill area.
Was that caught upstream from your rotting king?
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Bodofish wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:
image1.jpeg
Was that caught upstream from your rotting king?
Yup.😉

high country
Petty Officer

Post by high country » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 am

I've been targeting them this year with good success.

Bottom fish that eats other fish to about 8"

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:58 am

Now thats a box-a-burbots! :)

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:09 am

This is something I definitely want to get into. Once my boat is up to speed that is. Time to start researching as I have zero knowledge.