Looking For Members Interested in Writing Articles!

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Looking For Members Interested in Writing Articles!

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Are you interesting in writing? Want to share your expertise with the Northwest Fishing Reports community? We’d like to publish you! We even pay for some articles and are always looking for staff writers.

General NWFR article guidelines:

1.) Great content: How-to, How not-to, Gear Reviews, Places to Go, etc. Anything fishing related!

2.) Well written, proof-read, and decent grammar. Target 750 to 1500 words depending on topic.

3.) Several good quality support photos with captions. 1000 x 800 px (or slightly less than 1 MB) is about right. Don't send larger photos unless requested. No embedded or photo sharing site links – send pictures in separate files with notation on where in the article they should go. Please clearly name and match photos to captions.

4) Finally, keep in mind that if we publish you on NWFR, you are agreeing to give NWFR First Electronic Rights with Rights for NWFR to keep the article in our database in perpetuity. You still retain your creative rights and the right to publish elsewhere. We retain the right to keep the article on our sites permanently. First Electronic Rights are the right to be the first to publish any content on the Internet, via e-mail, as a downloadable file or program, on CD or tape, etc. In other words, if you offer an article to post on NWFR you can’t also have another site, magazine, publisher, etc publish the article until at least one month after it is shown on NWFR media.

These rights are very standard in the industry and are designed to protect both writer and publisher. By sending us anything, it is with the understanding that you have read and understand these rights as posted here.

What's in it for you?

We pay $50 to start for well-written, great-topic articles. We reserve the right to pay for your article or not. Because we’re a small business we don’t have the ability to pay rates that larger print media outlets can pay. We provide our members an avenue to hone their writing skills and gain the experience and resume building that will allow them to fine tune their craft.
Unfortunately, we can't use everything, so don't get discouraged if we don't accept your initial submission or if you're not offered reimbursement for your article. In addition/or instead of monetary reimbursement we may give free fishing gear.

If you're a really hard-working, great writer, with a niche in the outdoor fishing world, you may even qualify for our writing staff. For most, getting published is the first step though. As a staff member, this means more pay for articles, free sample gear (when available), possible inclusion in our video filming, and more exposure on the Pacific Northwest’s largest member driven reports web site—NorthwestFishingReports.com. In other words, it could be the start of a long and mutually beneficial relationship with NWFR!

You can email [email protected] to inquire about submitting an article. Get started writing today!

Thanks!

Mike Carey
Editor & Co-owner
NorthwestFishingReports.com

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Hendersd
Angler

Re: Looking For Members Interested in Writing Articles!

Post by Hendersd » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi Mike, I live in Southwest Washington and would love to do some writing. I dont need any money it would be for fun. Should I call you or how do you get started?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:01 pm

thanks for the interest Hendersd. The details are in my post on how to get started. Our next call for articles is coming up the end of this month. If you have an idea for a timely article go ahead and write and send it to [email protected].

Thanks!

MosesMayhem
Angler

Post by MosesMayhem » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm the "Fishless Wonder" this year, the only fish I caught were out on Whidbey (2 Small Cohos) not worth mentioning really. I've been fishing/filming (4K GoPro) my adventures every day since Aug 1st up and down the Snohomish (Mouth to Sky/Snoq) Seen lots of fish caught but it's almost become a humor/not-to type of adventure now. Maybe I should roll with it?

budman
Angler

Post by budman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:04 am

Hello,

For over 25 years I lived in the puget sound area, worked and fished the waters of the pacific northwest. I was also a member of the Northwest outdoor writers association. Retired now in Panama I do some writing for various outdoor publications worldwide.
We all have seen the devastation in the world's fisheries over the last 25 years so have become an advocate in trying to keep our fishery here in Panama, as well as the northwestern U.S. in a sustainable manner. To this extent we started the Panama Marine Resource Foundation. www.panamamarineresourcefoundation.org plus a facebook page under the same name.
I would like to help expand your readers knowledge of fishing opportunities both here in Panama and the pacific northwest with information gathered in my over 50 years. Many of your readers travel here now so this knowledge may help establish a new opportunity to expand your site. I hope to hear from you soon, John Maynard

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:25 pm

John, by all means, if you have an article you'd like to get published review the writer guidelines we posted and send them to us at [email protected]. Looking forward to reviewing it.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:11 pm

Call for articles for the October Newsletter. This is the perfect opportunity to break into outdoor writing!

tony53
Angler

Post by tony53 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 am

Hi Mike:
I would be interested in writing an article for the website. I will write one and send it in and we can go from there. Love the website.
Thanks
Anthony

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon May 07, 2018 7:00 pm

tony53 wrote:Hi Mike:
I would be interested in writing an article for the website. I will write one and send it in and we can go from there. Love the website.
Thanks
Anthony
Awesome! Looking forward to your article.

Adalgisod6
Angler

Post by Adalgisod6 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:41 am

Hii ...the only fish I caught was out on Whidbey (2 Small Cohos) not worth mentioning really. I've been fishing/filming (4K GoPro) my adventures every day since Aug 1st up and down the Snohomish (Mouth to Sky/Snoq) Seen lots of fish caught but it's almost become a humor/not-to type of adventure now. Maybe I should roll with it