Constitutionality of watercraft inspection stations

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
Shrimpjuice
Angler

Constitutionality of watercraft inspection stations

Post by Shrimpjuice » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:10 am

Is there anyone here who can speak to the legality of stopping and detaining citizens to search their property for invasive species? I understand a station has opened in Cle Elum "just off exit 80" as their website states. The fine for not stopping I hear is 180 dollars. I understand this is happening all over the country, my concern is the potential abuse of our 4th Admendment rights. Has anyone passed through this station that can inform us what happens during the detainment, who does the actual searching (law enforcement, wdfw, or volunteers with no legal authority) I am interested to know how far off I90 this station is located. And at what point are you legally detained. DWI check points are not legal in Washington for constitutional reasons, how do they get away with this?

jd39
Commander

Re: Constitutionality of watercraft inspection stations

Post by jd39 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:23 am

I’ve stopped at that invasive species station off exit 80. It was no big deal at all. I had thought it was for out of state boats only but the signs said all boats so I stopped.
Was asked “when was the last time you used the boat” and “where did you use it”. They checked that my drain plug out was out and said “thanks” and sent me on my way. They looked to be wdfw volunteers to me but not 100% sure on that.
Took all of 5 minutes.
I was never “detained”.
Easy access on/off I-90 for people towing.
Not a bad experience at all and well worth it to hopefully stop the spread of invasive species in our waterways.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 am

Do you think you have the constitutional right to spread invasive species from waterway to waterway? Just because people think they have the "RIGHT" to do something does not mean it is the right thing to do! Shripmjuice only a foolish person would think that trying to keep from spreading invasive species is some how stepping on your constitutional rights. Have a nice day or is that infringing on your rights to have any kind of day you want to have.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:10 am

Whine all you want...
WAC 220-640-011

Failure to stop at mandatory AIS check station—Infraction.

Any person who fails to stop at a mandatory check station is guilty of a gross misdemeanor under RCW 77.15.809; however, if a person has never been previously issued either a citation or warning for this violation, the violation may be issued as an infraction under RCW 77.15.160.
At minimum failure to stop will result in a citation, at worst you'll be arrested, your choice.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:02 pm

This thing is seriously NO big deal, and you have to step away from the viewpoint of that they are infringing on your rights somehow..

This is a move that is actually out to protect the interests that your care about… this means the waterways that you fish in.
It’s not ‘da man’ squashing your rights. It’s ‘da-man, looking out for your best interest.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Wed May 25, 2022 10:25 am

I saw the signs for this recently. Was wondering what that was all about. Good to know. Thanks

cwbraue
Petty Officer

Post by cwbraue » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:38 am

Well the Constitution established a government, so it's probably legal. That's one of the benefits of having an inflatable, no one can see it in my trunk.