NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
yourservant
Angler

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Post by yourservant » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:46 pm

20160514_091620.jpg
Hi, I'm
Name: Andy Robinson
Hobbies: hiking, fishing, photography...
What You Do: pastor to kids
Favorite Species To Fish For: trout
Where You Fish The Most: Icicle River
How Long You Have Been Fishing: 30+ years
How You Got Introduced To Fishing: my pastor
What Do You Do When Your Not Fishing: be a husband and foster dad
Your Favorite Picture: foster son

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:36 pm

Welcome! Great picture of your foster son. :sunny:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:10 am

Richard here. Wa born. Fish mostly Lake Wa, Samamish or Potholes. Bowfish too. Well, I used to anyway. Had my fourth shoulder surgery a year ago and the last attempt at pulling back a bow was laughable... That said, have read the reports here for some time but finally registered to get full content. Tight lines and sharp hooks!

WS96
Angler

Post by WS96 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:47 am

Name: Robert, Just bought a fishing kayak 2016. Want to do more fishing. Working on prepping the kayak out.
Location West Seattle
Hobbies: Fishing, Clamming, Crabbing, Pickleball, Golf, Tinkering, Vegetable Garden
What you do: Retired
Favorite species to fish for: Salmon, Lingcod
Where you fish the most: Puget Sound and Green River
How long fishing: Grew up Trout fishing and bottom fishing. Taught my children then took a hiatus until retirement. Now its time for the grandkids.
How introduced to fishing: Dad, fished and bird hunted.

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Wow page 40 - feel like I'm in the twilight zone here
Name: Larry
Hobbies: Fishing, hiking, mtn biking and anything else my wife says I like
What do I do: Engineer and again anything my wife tells me
Favorite fishies: Trout, Bass, Steelhead, Salmon and SD Northern Pike and Carp
Where: Mostly SW WA
How long: 50 or so years
Intro to fishing: Dad was a big time fisherman
What do I do when not fishing: Yard work while dreaming about fishing

LiveBaitNinja
Angler

Post by LiveBaitNinja » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:58 am

well, my first post in Secret Lakes was deleted without rhyme or reason. Someone found offense in a description of an old quarry. Awesome.

We're off to a great start here, apparently.

No point in putting too much into posts if they're just going to disappear.

Recent: smallies in the Columbia at Wintler Park, largemouth in the upper reaches of Salmon Creek.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:14 am

LiveBaitNinja wrote:well, my first post in Secret Lakes was deleted without rhyme or reason. Someone found offense in a description of an old quarry. Awesome.

We're off to a great start here, apparently.

No point in putting too much into posts if they're just going to disappear.

Recent: smallies in the Columbia at Wintler Park, largemouth in the upper reaches of Salmon Creek.
It was racist AND insulting, so the web site's owner deleted it. I sure hope you got to read the replies before it was deleted. The owner, the administrators, and the mods, can delete anything they want, or deem necessary.
Tom.

Interests: living

Mauk Fishing Stuff
Angler

Post by Mauk Fishing Stuff » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:13 pm

Name- Mike Mauk
Age- not quite over the hill
Location- Brewster,WA
Hobbies- fishing, drones, ham radio, off roading, camping, not particularly in that order
What You Do- retired heavy equipment operator, so now I do what ever I feel like usually
Favorite Species To Fish For-king salmon!!
Where You Fish The Most-Columbia River
How Long You Have Been Fishing- a long time
How You Got Introduced To Fishing- my parents took us fishing and camping when we were little kids
What Do You Do When Your Not Fishing- play with my drone and go for drives in the country, and try to keep my small fishing tackle cover business going
LURE SAFE™ We Have Your Tackle Covered!

http://fishingtacklecovers.com/

Official NWFR Sponsor

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 am

Welcome to the board Mike!

Guys, Mike has some nice organizing gear. Check out his website.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Just realized I hadn't posted here yet, so here is my belated introduction! [laugh]

Name: Jeff (same as my father, hence the Juniah, this name actually came from my first real full-time job, my father was employed there too so everyone refered to him as Senior and me as Junior! Many of my closest friends that I met while working here still call me that!)
Location: Indianola, WA (tiny town on Liberty Bay directly accross from Seattle, a suburb of Poulsbo/Kingston)
Hobbies: Anything animal related! Hopefully after I get my transplant surgery completed I will be returning to school to complete my degree in biology with the hopes of entering veterinary school at WSU)
What You Do: The majority of my adult life I've worked at hatcheries. Started out with WDFW after getting my degree in Fisheries Technology from Bellingham Technical College, then was headhunted by a private hatchery to manage their fingerling production hatchery. Right now I am on disability because of kidney failure, but am planning on returning to school as mentioned earlier!
Favorite Species To Fish ForL Whatever is biting!! Anything that makes my rod dance or my drag sing makes Jeff a happy boy! From halibut, to flounder, to bass, perch, crappie, or trout, it really doesn't matter, I just love being outside and fishing! (Bonus points if I get to do some camping too!)
Where You Fish The Most: Right now, within 2.5 hour drive of the Poulsbo area. Public/bank access for now until I get a boat!
How Long You Have Been Fishing: I still have a picture of me and my dad with my first fish, a perch from Silver Lake in Cowlitz county, when I was 3 years old! I've been fishing since I could walk, and plan on fishing until after I can't walk anymore!
How You Got Introduced To Fishing: Fishing is a huge part of my dad's side of the family's lifestyle. Most of my father's 6 sibblings, and my grandfather and his brothers enjoy fishing, even if they don't get the opportunity to do so very often.
What Do You Do When Your Not Fishing: Eat and sleep, haha! I dabble in online video games and love camping.

Looking forward to participating in the greatest pacific northwest fishing community on the planet!

~ Jeff (Juniah)

TrueJamo
Angler

Post by TrueJamo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:36 pm

Name: Jamie
Hobbies: Fishing and Video Games
What You Do: Medical Assistant
Favorite Species To Fish For: Anything
Where You Fish The Most: Gissberg Twin Lakes and Lake Cassidy
How Long You Have Been Fishing: Well, I fished a couple times when I was a kid but just recently picked it back up.
How You Got Introduced To Fishing: Parents
What Do You Do When Your Not Fishing: Play video games
Tight lines!

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:29 am

TrueJamo wrote:Name: Jamie
Hobbies: Fishing and Video Games
What You Do: Medical Assistant
Favorite Species To Fish For: Anything
Where You Fish The Most: Gissberg Twin Lakes and Lake Cassidy
How Long You Have Been Fishing: Well, I fished a couple times when I was a kid but just recently picked it back up.
How You Got Introduced To Fishing: Parents
What Do You Do When Your Not Fishing: Play video games
Hey Jamie, welcome tot he forums! One of my favorite lakes growing up is near Marysville, Lake Roesiger. Caught THOUSANDS of perch, trout, catfish, and bluegill out of that lake! One of my uncles and his wife and kid still live there too. (In Marysville, not Lake Roesiger [laugh] ) Hope you enjoy your stay here, looking forward to your posts and reports!

TrueJamo
Angler

Post by TrueJamo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Juniah87 wrote:Hey Jamie, welcome tot he forums! One of my favorite lakes growing up is near Marysville, Lake Roesiger. Caught THOUSANDS of perch, trout, catfish, and bluegill out of that lake! One of my uncles and his wife and kid still live there too. (In Marysville, not Lake Roesiger [laugh] ) Hope you enjoy your stay here, looking forward to your posts and reports!
Very nice. My problem has been not having a boat. I know it's possible to shore fish, but I'm thinking it's just too cold so the fish aren't coming that close to shore. Been to Goodwin, Cassidy, and Gissberg and haven't even got a nibble. I've only seen one person on shore out of the 4 days I went in a row catch a fish, and it was only the one fish. But I see all these boats with people fishing and having fish finders so I know the fish are somewhere, just not close enough to shore. Shore fishing is rough.
Tight lines!

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:40 pm

TrueJamo wrote:
Juniah87 wrote:Hey Jamie, welcome tot he forums! One of my favorite lakes growing up is near Marysville, Lake Roesiger. Caught THOUSANDS of perch, trout, catfish, and bluegill out of that lake! One of my uncles and his wife and kid still live there too. (In Marysville, not Lake Roesiger [laugh] ) Hope you enjoy your stay here, looking forward to your posts and reports!
Very nice. My problem has been not having a boat. I know it's possible to shore fish, but I'm thinking it's just too cold so the fish aren't coming that close to shore. Been to Goodwin, Cassidy, and Gissberg and haven't even got a nibble. I've only seen one person on shore out of the 4 days I went in a row catch a fish, and it was only the one fish. But I see all these boats with people fishing and having fish finders so I know the fish are somewhere, just not close enough to shore. Shore fishing is rough.
I know exactly what you mean, I'm in the same boat (pun intended! [laugh] ) It's tough to find lakes with both decent shore access and decent fishing. I think you are right about the weather, I just got back from Silver Lake down in Cowlitz county and the lilly pads are just now starting to sprout up. After the crummy winter we had this year, I'm itching for my fishing fix! I've only had luck at Island Lake in Mason county so far, but that's just because trout lodge came and planted while I was there, I didn't catch anything until he showed up, then caught my limin in about 15 minutes, haha! Make sure to watch WDFW's weekly plant records as we approach the opener, that's probably our best bet at finding fish!

aaholschbach
Angler

Post by aaholschbach » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:27 am

I apologize: I missed this thread before making my first post, but I am new here and new to fishing in the state of Washington as well. I relocated from a Midwest/Great Lakes state where I mainly fished for bass and panfish or used bottom rigs for catfish and suckers (not having a boat limited my options a little). I picked myself up a modest fishing kayak, so I'm looking forward to utilizing that.

Name: Alyssa
Favorite Species: Crappies, Smallmouth, Panfish (but looking to start trying my hand at trout and, eventually, steelhead and salmon
Where I fish the most: Nowhere in Washington yet, so the quest begins
How long: Since I was a kid, but not at all in the last two years and that needs to change
How introduced: Mostly through my cousins and uncles (my dad was more of a car guy); one of my cousins was my main fishing partner back in my home state
When not fishing: working, hiking, video games, and exploring the NW

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:44 am

aaholschbach wrote:I apologize: I missed this thread before making my first post, but I am new here and new to fishing in the state of Washington as well. I relocated from a Midwest/Great Lakes state where I mainly fished for bass and panfish or used bottom rigs for catfish and suckers (not having a boat limited my options a little). I picked myself up a modest fishing kayak, so I'm looking forward to utilizing that.

Name: Alyssa
Favorite Species: Crappies, Smallmouth, Panfish (but looking to start trying my hand at trout and, eventually, steelhead and salmon
Where I fish the most: Nowhere in Washington yet, so the quest begins
How long: Since I was a kid, but not at all in the last two years and that needs to change
How introduced: Mostly through my cousins and uncles (my dad was more of a car guy); one of my cousins was my main fishing partner back in my home state
When not fishing: working, hiking, video games, and exploring the NW
Welcome to the forums, aaholschbach! (And welcome to the Pacific Nowrthwest, too!) Coldwater species are a lot more popular in this state, however in your location there are a handful of warmwater species lakes that may tickle your fancy, though the fish may not be as big as you are used to. Do you have an Oregon fishing license as well? There are a lot of really good oportunities (and usually better weather!) a few miles to your south. I had family in southern Oregon when growing up and did a lot of fishing on the rogue and umpqua rivers, I caught a 3 pound suckerfish from the Rogue when I was about 14 years old, it was the first one I had ever seen. My uncle swore it bit him, haha!

I hope you have a great time exploring everything Washington has to offer in outdoor recreation, there certainly is a lot of it! If you have any questions be sure to post them in the forums, or even PM a few of the more active members, the people on this site are incredibly helpful, I've learned more about fishing in my couple weeks here then in years of trial and error on my own! Hope you are ready for the opener coming up April 22nd!

~ Juniah

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:12 am

Yup, lots of good to great Bass lakes down there, along with pan fish in those lakes. If you fish the Columbia River, in that kayak, be VERY careful of the current, the big ship's wakes, and the weather, along with the wind.
Tom.

Interests: living

aaholschbach
Angler

Post by aaholschbach » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Thank you for the welcome! :)
Juniah87 wrote: Do you have an Oregon fishing license as well? There are a lot of really good oportunities (and usually better weather!) a few miles to your south.
I may get an Oregon license in the future, but probably not this year. There was a bit of sticker shock when I saw the cost of a non-resident license. There should be enough on this side of the Columbia to keep me occupied for now.
Juniah87 wrote:I hope you have a great time exploring everything Washington has to offer in outdoor recreation, there certainly is a lot of it!
I've been having a great time thus far! Washington is absolutely beautiful and I'm looking forward to moving beyond hiking to fishing and quite probably camping.
Amx wrote: If you fish the Columbia River, in that kayak, be VERY careful of the current, the big ship's wakes, and the weather, along with the wind.
I will be restricting my kayaking to lakes and maybe a few tributaries for now. I played enough Oregon Trail as a kid to know rafting the Columbia can be quite perilous. :D

MicroDoloBro
Angler

Post by MicroDoloBro » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:13 am

Name:
Tyler
Hobbies:
hunting, fishing, read about animals and nature
Favorite Species To Fish For:
Smallmouth Bass
Where You Fish The Most:
Moses Lake
How Long You Have Been Fishing:
Since my dad took me to a fishing derby when I was 4 and I won a tent and sleeping bag with the biggest rainbow trout.
first fish.JPG
Then
27walleye.JPG
Now
What Do You Do When Your Not Fishing:
work, watch fishing videos... not at the same time :-"
"Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy."
-William Sherwood Fox

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 am

Hello MicroDoloBro!

That picture of you when you were a youngster is awesome! I remember seeing a young girl about that age catch a 4 or 5 pound broodstock rainbow in the mother's day derby we held at the Belilngham Hatchery on one of those walmart barbie kids fishing poles. I think the dad was more excited then the daughter was, haha! That's what it's all about, family enjoyment, involvement, and creating a love for the outdoors and fishing. Your dad did good!

Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy it here!

~ Jeff (Juniah)