COOS, COQUILLE, SIXES AND ELK RIVERS

Talk about River Fishing in Oregon
Dave M
Warrant Officer

COOS, COQUILLE, SIXES AND ELK RIVERS

Post by Dave M » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:11 am

Anyone know anything about these rivers? Will be heading to Bandon, Or in the next few months and want to check them out.

Chetco
Petty Officer

Re: COOS, COQUILLE, SIXES AND ELK RIVERS

Post by Chetco » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:34 am

Elk and Sixes salmon 30 days after fishing slows on the Chetco ..

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks but unfortunately my sister moved away from there so I probably will not be going down any time soon

LCWilson3006
Angler

Post by LCWilson3006 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:03 pm

This post may be a little late for your Feb 2016 query but I thought since I just fished the Sixes the news would be worthy. So, as of Nov. 1, 2016, the Sixes River was up to the high three foot mark at the Grange (Hwy 101) put-out. The water was dropping and in the process of clearing. The time was 8:30 AM, light overcast and 60 degrees. We chose to fish while others moved to the Elk. We went to the mid-point put-in (gravel was soft) no need for 4-wheel drive. We rigged with plugs and sardines for the seven hour trip down stream. Oh, we were with Robert Montgomery's Guide Service (541-430-6389 great guy) and his Rivercraft drift boat. Several bites and then about 10:00 I took our first real hit, an 18lb wild Chinook - took line both down stream and turned to take line upstream with full drag. About 15 mins. later my fishing buddy Mike landed a wild 20 pounder. I then snagged a 14" silver and threw it back just before the Mansion gravel bar. Then I landed about noon at the culvert hole a hatchery Chinook. A half an hour later, our guide Robert had his line out and landed his wild for the day. And, around 2:00, Mike landed his hatchery which filled his tag. Since both Mike and my tags were full we took a leisurely trip down stream with rowing lessons (I just purchased my drift boat and wanted some pointers - so, thought it best and safest to go out with an experienced person first - Robert has a 17ft Rivercraft and I have one similar). Arrived at the Grange approximately 3:30 and still light overcast and 60 degrees (coast weather - can't beat it). Robert fileted the fish and bagged them for us. Then swapped fish stories on the 2 hour trip home to Roseburg. Can't remember a better fishing day nor a better guide.
Les Wilson

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:50 am

That sounds like a great day. One of these days I will probably get down to one or more of these rivers, just not as sure since my sister is no longer in the area.

LCWilson3006
Angler

Post by LCWilson3006 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:26 am

Dave, I just floated the river in my own boat Sunday (11/13/16) and got skunked but the water was dropping and cleared up to almost crystal clear. To fish either the Sixes or the Elk you need to follow a storm, especially the Elk, for the Sixes give it two days after a storm. Oh, if you have your own boat text me and I'll put you in touch with the shuttle service driver otherwise might I suggest Robert Montgomery as a guide. Unless you have your own guide and there's dozens of them working the two rivers from all around the area (Grants Pass, Roseburg, Eugene, for example).
Les Wilson

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks for the info Les. I will look you up if I do head down that way.

Chetco
Petty Officer

Post by Chetco » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks from a recreational fisherman's view point. :cheers: .