Where did all the pike fishermen go?

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Larry3215
Admiral

Where did all the pike fishermen go?

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:29 pm

No pike reports for 2021???

What happened to all the pike guys this year? Nothing bad I hope!

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Re: Where did all the pike fishermen go?

Post by harleypiker » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:33 pm

The tribal gill nets wiped us out from Roosevelt to Lake Pend Oreille, Id. Along with a lot of bass, walleyes, trout, etc etc.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:48 pm

That sucks! Ive got a trip to Coeur d'alene set for next month. Did they wipe it out too? Chain lakes? :(

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:56 pm

There was news of netting pike in the south end of CDA lake and claimed to be releasing them on the north end.
I fished the chains this July and got only 4 in three days. It was pretty HOT so that probably was the slow bite. Perhaps better now?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:38 am

Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:00 am

Thank you. I'd appreciate that as I was thinking of one more trip to the chains yet this fall

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:14 am

We will be heading up Oct 13 for 4 days. We are not exactly the worlds best pike fishermen, so dont take our probable lack of catching as the final word. ;)

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:00 am

Not to worry. My moniker is "fishing is 98% luck and the rest is all skill".

Hippocampus
Angler

Post by Hippocampus » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:16 pm

1 pike, Hayden Lake, May 28. 18". As it is the only posting I am on the leaderboard for 2021. Seriously though to answer some of the comments in 2021. They are Gill netting the south end of lake Coeur d'Alene in Indian reservation controlled waters. They are no longer transporting the fish to the North end of the lake to release, instead distributing the fish for consumption. Chain lakes have been slow for me this year for Pike. I met someone who, sadly, said he took 9 pike out of Killarney on Oct. 16. Judging by the gut piles in the water at the ramp someone has been doing their best to kill all the pike in Killarney. Hopefully the regular posters to this forum make a return next year, always enjoyed reading their posts.

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:41 am

I assumed they were no longer transporting the netted pike north. Typical pattern; mollify the fishermen by saying they are managing the fishery one way or another and then smooze into "full management".
I fished Killarney early Oct. and caught 7 pike in a half day of fishing. Got lucky and hit a rain event during that time and they were biting good.
2 to 4 pounds. I have caught 8 in Id. and one in Roosevelt this year. I don't even want to brag on 9 maybe being top number so far this year. And no muskies in 5 days of fishing this year for them.

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:27 am

So the reason I have not posted is I don't want the (_,_) holes at F&G to get any info on how or where to find more fish to kill. That being said, I have been catching a few fish, but I have had my worst year for Pike and Bass in the last 25 years. I have been Pike fishing Montana mostly, and I'm up over 50 fish on the year, but I will keep the exact number to myself. I must say it is a far cry from the quanity and quality that we had here in Idaho just 2 or 3 years ago. It is a sad state of affairs what we have let them do to our fishery. In the Pend Oreille system alone, they have killed over half a MILLION fish of all species in just Idaho!!!! That's not even counting the fish killed in The Washington part of the river, or the fish they are killing in other Idaho lakes!! They are killing both LM and SM Bass by the thousands as well as the Pike, Walleye, and Trout. I think the F&G are a lot like the Nazi's of WW2 that think they can kill anything they don't like, no matter what anyone else thinks. There is no science behind what they are doing, it is all fueled by the millions of dollars they are making by killing our fish. So like the Nazis of WW2, we need to do what ever it takes to stop them.

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:47 am

To All You Pike Haters,
I watched a 'Monster Fish" TV show two weeks ago wherein he was trying to catch monster catfish in France.
They would only bite at night but France outlawed night fishing to protect their precious PIKE POPULATION!!
Are you listening F &W Idaho and WA! He had to get special clearance from the local authorities to fish
at night. They obviously learned from WWII how to combat the nazi's!!

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:38 am

goodness, someone has to post a 2022 pike report. not one pike on roosevelt this year. just dozens of walleye. the gill nets are better fishermen than I. enjoyed idaho chain lakes last week netting 8 pike up to 5 lbs. in two days. wanted to go back but got shoulder surgery last week so everything is winterized. other pike news?

farmer_aa
Petty Officer

Post by farmer_aa » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:55 pm

I think Fish-n-Fool has a good point about being vague on details, and I think the gillnet project is why it's been quiet here. I did catch 15 on a recent fishing trip. That's all I have to say about that.

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:36 am

Can you say WA or ID?

farmer_aa
Petty Officer

Post by farmer_aa » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:13 pm

ID. Neither state is in my good graces for their policies towards pike management, but I haven't bought a WA license since the PO River first saw the gill nets. Now that the Salmon Recovery dollars have made their way upstream into Idaho, I don't have any nearby waters entirely free of gill net competition. But as they say on Fly vs. Jerk, "we keep fighting!"