P.O.R. slough identification and other ??

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tmusky1
Lieutenant

P.O.R. slough identification and other ??

Post by tmusky1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Hey everyone,

My son and I are finally getting our Pend Orielle pike trip. We've been trying to go for 3 years and every year, something has come up forcing us to postpone.

Anyway, after reading a bunch of reports, I'm asking myself, how do I know which slough is which? Are there any maps out there that i.d. them, or is it local knowledge?

The last time I fished this river was 30 years ago. We only have 3 days to fish so any helpful tips, pointers, or warnings would be great. We'll be staying at the Blueslide resort (hopefully it's a good place) and fishing that area. My strategy is to approach as if I'm after tigers but maybe downsize the lures a little.

Thanks in advance

Mark K
Lieutenant

RE:P.O.R. slough identification and other ??

Post by Mark K » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:49 pm

tmusky1 wrote: Hey everyone,

My son and I are finally getting our Pend Orielle pike trip. We've been trying to go for 3 years and every year, something has come up forcing us to postpone.

Anyway, after reading a bunch of reports, I'm asking myself, how do I know which slough is which? Are there any maps out there that i.d. them, or is it local knowledge?

The last time I fished this river was 30 years ago. We only have 3 days to fish so any helpful tips, pointers, or warnings would be great. We'll be staying at the Blueslide resort (hopefully it's a good place) and fishing that area. My strategy is to approach as if I'm after tigers but maybe downsize the lures a little.

Thanks in advance
At this point in the year slough names really don't matter much. Most are empty now, and the ones that aren't will be choked with weeds, and WAY too warm to have much success. I'd approach the main channel now just like you would for Muskie. Look for the weeds and fish over the top of them and the outside edges. Any structure like docks and trees are good too! You will find them. From Blueslide I would go south though. They are everywhere, and you will find them at Blueslide, but they start to get a bit thicker around the river bend (Outpost, Bible Camp area). Good luck and post pictures!

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:12 am

I agree with Mark the slews are to shallow and or weedy to fish now the Pike are out in the channel. Look for weed beds in 3 to 10 ft of water to find fish. I don't really know where Blueside is but,
here is a few maps that will be a good reference at least.

Last edited by Fish-N-Fool on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:44 am

Right on, thanks guys. A lot of great info from the both of you.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:30 am

Slough

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Mark K and Fish-N-Fool, I just wanted to come back and thank you again for the useful info. We launched at Blueslide and fished near the bible camp in and around the weedbeds and just nailed the pike. I posted a report but wanted to let you guys know how much we appreciate the help in fishing an unfamiliar water.

The big hook-straightening pike that got away at the boat will haunt my son the rest of his life. He's now addicted.

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:15 pm

tmusky1 wrote: Mark K and Fish-N-Fool, I just wanted to come back and thank you again for the useful info. We launched at Blueslide and fished near the bible camp in and around the weedbeds and just nailed the pike. I posted a report but wanted to let you guys know how much we appreciate the help in fishing an unfamiliar water.

The big hook-straightening pike that got away at the boat will haunt my son the rest of his life. He's now addicted.
Not a problem! I'm glad you found some fish! Too bad that one got away, just from that picture it looked like an AWESOME fish!!! And I'm sure it will haunt him forever, we've lost some fish up there that we will always wonder how big they actually were. Looks like you guys will just have to make another trip to go get that fish!

Good job guys, and thanks for the report!