Chain lakes pike trip

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Chain lakes pike trip

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:22 pm

My buddy Jim Thompson and I took off last Wed. at 6am for a little Chain lakes pike fishing. We got to the Medicine Lake boat launch at about 7:45 and jetted up to Killarney for some Pike action. Asked to a couple boaters how the fishing was and they said they had got some fish so we were hoping for a good day. First fish on the day was this toad smallie out of Killarney that hit a 7" hard swimbait. It put up a great fight

We got bites from some pike in Killarney with a nice 8 lb fish that hit my spinner twice right at the boat but didn't stay hooked up. landed a small pike there before we left for greener pastures.
Biggest pike landed on the day was this 7lb. pike out of Swan lake. I hooked up on 3 different pike in Swan.

The first one I hooked was a monster that took my white Fish-N-Fool Lures Spinnerbait. I didn't think I needed a steel leader with a spinnerbait as I have fished them that way for many years wtih no problem, but I was wrong. This monster swallowed the bait whole and cut me off after a short but exciting battle. We both saw the fish well and my best guess would put it in the 40" to 44 " range. I quickly tied a Chartreuse Fish-N-Fool Lures buzzbait on and got the fish pictured on the next cast in the same spot I had just hooked the monster at. I think I found my new favorite spot on the Chain lakes. :) I got hooked up on one more fish in that same area that was about 6 Lb. on a soft swimbait but it come unhooked as well. We landed S.M.Bass, L.M.Bass, Crappie, and Pike. I hooked into a nice big L.M. at Swan fishing my floating mouse b ait in the weeds. One more from Swan.

We ended up with to many baits to count 7 pike on and 3 landed.
I plan to go again this next Wed. as I have that day off work. Hope to find the Monster that cut me off and get my spinnerbait back! LOL

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Chain lakes pike trip

Post by AJ's Dad » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:49 am

Rick,
It's good to see you posting again. Looks like you got your boat going again. I fished the chains on sunday and had another very slow day. The water temps get up to about 80 degrees by around 10 oclock and they seem to stop biting or they go deeper than I have been fishing. Looks like you had a great day.