It's pike season again!!!!

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lucius
Commander

It's pike season again!!!!

Post by Lucius » Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 am

So we got to the lake around 9am. Fishing started off slow, but as I moved around the lake it picked up. Talked to a guy that said a was knocking them dead with top water early in the morning but has since dropped off. I was a little worried as I didn't have any topwater. Made my first cast cast and got smacked. I didn't know the fish was on until I reeled in and pulled back on the pole. By then I missed my opportunity and the fish got off. Made a few more casts with no dice. Changed up my lure and first cast to the same spot where i had the previous bite...bam. The fish started to head out to the middle of the cove which surprised me as i never had a fish start taking line on me and pulling the drag. After a few runs, some aerial displays and a run through the cattails (which I thought would be the end of it) I land the beaut. 30" Health Pike. First real health northern I have seen from this lake. After a quick pic, she was released. My very next cast I get hit again, although I think I was a little trigger happy and the fish bit my lures tail off. Switched to a similar lure and two cast later bam. Nice little 15-20 northern. Fished the spot with a few more casts with no action and I proceeded to along the shore to a few other spots. After no luck and needing to get back for a meeting, I fished my way back. Ended up at the exact same spot again where I caught the two previous northerns. I was pulling my lure right in front of the cattails and out swims the bass half hearted agression and bumps my lure. The bass stayed in the area right where she bumped my lure and really didn't move. I threw past her in a different direction and nothing. I cast out again and then stopped it right in front of her and jigged a little. She slowly started to back up. This is all like 15 feet from me and to my left in front of these cattails. I made one more cast way out thinking she wasn't going to bite and I was bringing it right by the cattails to see if I could get a pike or bass to shot out to nail it. Well right as my lure was passing really close to the cattails but right in front of the bass that already chased my lure, she just lost her mind and destroyed my lure right in front of me. Saw the whole thing. After a few aerial displays and a run I had her in my hand. To date my PB bass. The picture doesn't do it justice, but she was huge. Her belly made her mouth look small. As I was pulling the bass out these guys were coming by and offered to take my picture. Released the bass and ran off to my meeting. Yesterday was a good day.
Pike on.jpg

30" Northern
Pike on.jpg (205.38 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
30%22 beaut.jpg
30 inch beaut
30%22 beaut.jpg (201.01 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
New PB Bass 5+lbs.jpg
PB Bass
New PB Bass 5+lbs.jpg (226.52 KiB) Viewed 4243 times

Lucius
Commander

Re: It's pike season again!!!!

Post by Lucius » Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 am

And one more picture 5+lb bass by the way
Horizontal PB Bass 5+lbs.jpg
Horizontal PB Bass
Horizontal PB Bass 5+lbs.jpg (176.16 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed May 01, 2013 9:46 am

Good job. [thumbup] I've never caught a Pike or a Musky.
Tom.

Interests: living

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Wed May 01, 2013 10:57 am

Amx wrote:Good job. [thumbup] I've never caught a Pike or a Musky.
Thanks...a couple hundred miles to the east and your in pike country. I know there are a few anglers that would gladly take you out if you wanted...

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:03 am

Nice fish Lucius.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed May 01, 2013 11:11 am

Lucius wrote:
Amx wrote:Good job. [thumbup] I've never caught a Pike or a Musky.
Thanks...a couple hundred miles to the east and your in pike country. I know there are a few anglers that would gladly take you out if you wanted...
Yup, I've had a couple offers, but I'm stuck on bass and can't seem to get away. And don't have the money yet to travel more than an hour away. This year it's boat and boat trailer stuff, tires, 2 depth finders, carpeting for the boat-it has holes now-stuff, maybe more car stuff as needed, then next year we'll see.
Tom.

Interests: living

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Thu May 02, 2013 6:03 am

Great story.
The score is now 2 for Buddy and 2 for Mark. Hopefully I can take the lead this weekend.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Thu May 02, 2013 9:08 am

AJ's Dad wrote:Great story.
The score is now 2 for Buddy and 2 for Mark. Hopefully I can take the lead this weekend.
up...make that 3 for me...I caught my first two weeks ago at the same lake. 30" but skinny...bring it son
(I fear all I have done is awaken a sleeping giant....) [-o< :-$

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Thu May 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Hey, looks like I'm winning right now with 4! [flapper] I know AJs Dad will go out and stick 10 this weekend and ill never catch up, so I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts! And thanks again for putting me over those fish Mark. :salut:

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Thu May 02, 2013 1:13 pm

And nice job Buddy! I'm glad your finding some Pike down there!

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Mark K wrote:Hey, looks like I'm winning right now with 4! [flapper] I know AJs Dad will go out and stick 10 this weekend and ill never catch up, so I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts! And thanks again for putting me over those fish Mark. :salut:
You Little..... :salut: That is alright...I am hoping to keep pace with Mark this year, although I feel I will drop off like you here in the coming weeks.....however, I am going to be fishing Merritt Reservoir in Nebraska starting the 13 and I am seeing report of peeps putting 12 in the boat ranging from 27-35 inches.....If the fishing is slow I might hit up box butte where I can keep pace with Mark while I am fishing there...we will see.

Like I said, I am afraid I just awoke a sleeping giant in this game of who can catch more pike on the year.....its on like donkey kong!!!!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri May 03, 2013 5:38 am

Would you like to continue using this thread as the scoreboard, or do you want to show your creativity and start up another??
Like I said before,

Lets Rock. (Spoken in the voice of Al Bundy) [thumbsup]

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 am

AJ's Dad wrote:Would you like to continue using this thread as the scoreboard, or do you want to show your creativity and start up another??
Like I said before,

Lets Rock. (Spoken in the voice of Al Bundy) [thumbsup]
Lets start another thread for pike talley...